• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What did you do to prep today?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I prepped today by not wasting ammo on the groundhog 50 ft. in front of the house.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bucked at least another cord of wood tonight. Have it all lined up behind the splitter so it's ready to go tomorrow for splitting.

Groundhog 50' from the house? That one should be for the dogs it's so close.

Umberto

I prepped today and went to Cabela's, bought a fishing license and 500 rounds of 7.62 for the M1A NM. On the way home stopped by the commissary and bought 2 cases of MRE's and a 1.75 of Famous Grouse.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I prepped today and went to Cabela's, bought a fishing license and 500 rounds of 7.62 for the M1A NM. On the way home stopped by the commissary and bought 2 cases of MRE's and a 1.75 of Famous Grouse.

That should cover most of your bases. :biggrin:

I haven't done much prepping for a while. I pick up a little ammo now and again but that's about it. When the weather gets a little better I'm going to run a 1-1/4" line from the water well to the lake and start filling her up or as much as I can get done in 4 or 5 months, until spring.

Early next year I'm going to start the process of putting in a whole whole house back-up generator. I think at that time is when I'll officially cross over from being a good boy scout to being an actual prepper. :biggrin:

Loudmouth

Site Supporter
I've been doing preparedness for 3-4 years now; the poor man's way. Canned goods. A case of this, a case of that - every time I go shopping. I'll be sheltering in place in a small town when the SHTF. I've a dog for protection and some other things too. I rotate stock and when stuff gets close to the out-date; donate it to the local food pantry. I'm basically all set for 6 months of good livin. ...but can always use more ammo...

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been doing preparedness for 3-4 years now; the poor man's way. Canned goods. A case of this, a case of that - every time I go shopping. I'll be sheltering in place in a small town when the SHTF. I've a dog for protection and some other things too. I rotate stock and when stuff gets close to the out-date; donate it to the local food pantry. I'm basically all set for 6 months of good livin. ...but can always use more ammo...

That should get you by in an emergency.

Like I said in my post of almost 2-years ago, I haven't done much new stuff lately, just maintained the status quo and looked after the things that I have. I still don't have my whole house generator. Something else always seems to come up and besides, I can't even remember the last time that we had an extended power outage. It's become less of a priority. I may still do it one of these days when I get too old to haul out and move generators. Rotating gasoline is starting to be a chore though.

I did get a new water filter/purifier that I'm pleased with. It's a Big Berkey. I'll add it to the other two filter systems that I have. I also got a Kelly Kettle to use on camping trips. I really like that thing. It's neat.

I did learn something pretty cool this summer while hiking in Scotland. I met a guy who showed me a neat trick for making campfires that he learned in Sweden. He had a log about 15" in diameter and around 2' long. He crosscut the top down about 9" and crammed a crumbled up firelighter down into the center of the crosscut, lit it and in no time had a good going fire. The log was flat and level enough that he could cook on top of it at least until it had burned down a bit. It was one of those simple, ingenious things that for some reason give me pleasure and get you wondering, "Why the hell didn't I think of that?".

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Thank you Loudmouth for bring this thread back to life.

No prepping for me today. Dentist visit for a cleaning this afternoon. :sad:

Umberto

I got an ammo can full of loose .45 ftom a garage sale and bought a bag full of MRE entrées at Winco, recently.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've always been uncomfortable with the label of "prepper". It conjures up visions of those Doomsday Preppers as shown on TV who are prepping for some of the most outlandish things that are ever likely to occur and want the rest of to think that they are normal, far seeing and prophetic individuals.

I've always thought of myself as more of a good Boy Scout.

I recently read a book by Dr. Arthur T. Bradley called "The Disaster Preparedness Handbook" and decided that a "disaster prepper" is a title that I can live with. It basically says that you need to prepare for "disasters", either natural or man made, that are likely to occur where you live and therefore everybody's plan is going to vary according to their location but that certain basics hold true wherever you are. It's an interesting read.

So, I'll just continue on my merry way being ready to handle power outages, weather emergencies, localized flooding, possible civil unrest and any other minor inconvenience while leaving how to handle full scale nuclear conflagration to others who want to worry about such things.

I'm too old and life is too short to worry about every eventuality. Sure, the dinosaurs got obliterated by a asteroid the size of Mt Everest but for 60 to 100 million years they got along just fine, thank you very much!!! I think that I can probably make it through the next 5, 10, 25 years or so.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i took a nap & fed my meowers-- there's food in my pantry, food in my fridge, batteries in my flashlites, soap in my bathroom & kitchen, & businesses that have got generators abound-- between medicine, on-call pals, & ice to preserve my food, we're great!:flowers:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
covered the a/c today. It's getting colder at night lately for some reason. :yum::yum::yum:

I think that it's called "winter". :yum:

Decided that I'm going to get a 13kW PTO generator before the end of the year. I'll lay in some additional diesel and start running down my stored gasoline. That should see me through about 2 or 3 months. That's about as much prepping as I'm going to do at present. Anything more will require a major rethink and a "kiss your ass goodbye" plan, which I don't have ... and won't subscribe to. :biggrin: