• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wifi Extender

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
As I have said recently, I have gotten rid of cable and the internet through a cable company. However, our apartment complex does have free WiFi in the library. For a time I was picking up the WiFi in my apartment, but recently that stopped and I did not know why.

I was told about a WiFi extender and thought I would give it a try. I bought a TP-LINK 300 Mbps universal WiFi range extender, it is working great. It only cost $20 buck on Amazon so I took a chance. I'm glad I don't have to lug my computer down to the library all the time now. :clap::clap::clap:

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
MrLiberty, I'm confused. If your pc couldn't pick up a wifi signal, how can the range extender pick up one, or did you mount the range extender somewhere than where you normally use your pc?

Bob

leadarrows

They do work. My main router is in the barn 500' away from my house and I could not get a signal until I installed Wifi Extender. I lose one bar of signal.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
MrLiberty, I'm confused. If your pc couldn't pick up a wifi signal, how can the range extender pick up one, or did you mount the range extender somewhere than where you normally use your pc?

Bob

I could pick up a signal in my apartment sometimes, but it was also weak. I bought the extender and I have it pointed at the source of the WiFi in the other building. I have no obstructions from my apartment window to the other building so it works with no problems.

A friend of mine bought one, but because he had several walls between him and the connection it didn't work.

I found out that I am only one of 12 apartments in the entire complex that can receive the free WiFi that our complex offers. Everyone else has to go down to either one of the two library's.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
On a similar note. Does anyone have any experience with those hotspot location devices? I hadn't given any thought to one before but was watching a car show this morning and they installed one in an old ford truck. That gave anyone within range free WiFi without using the data on your phone. I know you have to pay for the service but I'm curious as to how it works. Wonder if I could do that at camp and just have a hotspot setup to be able to use the tablet without sucking all the data on my phone.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know what a hotspot location device is. My truck does have built in hotspot but it is similar to a phone with a data plan.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
On a similar note. Does anyone have any experience with those hotspot location devices? I hadn't given any thought to one before but was watching a car show this morning and they installed one in an old ford truck. That gave anyone within range free WiFi without using the data on your phone. I know you have to pay for the service but I'm curious as to how it works. Wonder if I could do that at camp and just have a hotspot setup to be able to use the tablet without sucking all the data on my phone.

You have to be in range of WiFi in order for it to work, if there is no nearby WiFi, then..........:sad:

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

My GMC has wifi but I don't use it. It utilizes an ATT signal and if you're not in range of a tower you have no wifi... and it's expensive.