• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Direct TV - Wanna reduced bill?

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
When my friend called me and told me this story, I laughed till it hurt.

He called with his mind made up to cancel Direct TV.
There is a reason.. not important to this story. So, the first barrier was the operator demanded to know why. He said he just wanted to cancel. No real reason. The Operator demanded a reason, and said that it was required to enter a reason why. So, he said: It's costing me $79.00 a month.. and I can get the same service cheaper."

So the Direct TV rep said: "Lets say I reduce your bill to $39.00 a month. Will you stay a loyal costumer?"

My buddy said nope I want to cancel, sorry.

Then the Rep said: "What if I give you a $50.00 credit and $39.00 a month?"

Nope!

Then the rep came with: $39.00 a month and a $100.00 credit.

Nope!

Now the rep was really pushy over the refusal - saying there isn't a better deal on the planet etc..

And my Bud said: "NOPE"

At this point I asked: "Did you hold out for free service?"
:yum:

So.. the final offer was $39.00 a month - with 6 months free.

That is a savings of $474.00 for the 6 months free and a yearly savings of $480.00 in a year at $39.00 VS $79.00.

He ultimately canceled. Because that was the reason for calling in the first place.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the tip! I have Dish, and am locked in until July. I have planned to switch to DTV because I can get my important locals in HD (sports!)... BUT I know Dish is gonna beg me... and I plan to put the screws to them in a big way. Honestly.. I don't want to switch but I am tired of watching NFC football on Fox with a shitty picture on 52" of high def LCD.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I just made the switch to HD with direct but the local ABC station won't give the waiver to get the HD signal. They say their signal should reach but nobody around can get signal since they went digital so I have not bothered with an antenna. When I finally get the card from them I plan to file another FCC exemption.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
No. My Fox station is a long ways away and my antennae is pretty hammered from the wind this summer. I could replace it and MAYBE pull in the station, but it's tough to do. I can get CBS fine though.. ABC is out the question as well....