• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2nd floor laundry

cj7

Well I am considering installing a second floor laundry at some point in the house. I have a small closet that I think will fit a stackable washer and dyer.

The only real question I have is the ventilation codes for the electric dryer exhaust. The location I am figuring would have me run the vent horizontally through a closet to the outside wall. About 6-7 feet. I plan on boxing in the pipe as it passes through the closet. What pipe is recommended?

I will also entertain any other tips for the installation.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
The only real question I have is the ventilation codes for the electric dryer exhaust. The location I am figuring would have me run the vent horizontally through a closet to the outside wall. About 6-7 feet. I plan on boxing in the pipe as it passes through the closet. What pipe is recommended?

I will also entertain any other tips for the installation.

Use 3" or 4" round single wall. No flex under any circumstances. Also don't screw the pipe and fittings, use duct tape. The screws just pick up the lint and in a year or so you will have a clog. Keep the elbows to a minimum and run it as short as possible. Max about 35 feet.

murph

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Use 4" round single wall. No flex under any circumstances. Also don't screw the pipe and fittings, use duct tape. The screws just pick up the lint and in a year or so you will have a clog. Keep the elbows to a minimum and run it as short as possible. Max about 35 feet.

murph

edit here: don't use 3" Not sure what I was thinking when I said you could use 3 or 4

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
build a "shoe rack" or something similar in the closet to hide/protect the pipe - and don't forget to slope it downhill so you don't hace condensation sitting in it, and make sure your pipe joins go with the airflow, not against, or you'll still have clogs. Good luck!

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
You will be very disappointed in the capacity of a stack-set. Two pair of jeans or two towels and it will be full.