• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Arbor: Out with the old ...

DAP

Our 1800 Cape has an arbor leading to the door sitting on a granite slab. This doorway gets 99,9 % of the entries to the house and the CEO has made it clear with no uncertain terms that it had to go ...

Half of it sits on the slab, the other half sits on junk wood ...

Attachments

• P0004616.jpg
    P0004616.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P0004617.jpg
    P0004617.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 5

DAP

Here's the replacement:

Materials (left overs from the terraced garden project I posted earlier):

4x4x8 rough cut hemlock posts
1x4x10 hemlock ripped lengthwise to make the slats
2x4x8 arch cross bracing
2x8x8 for the arches
4 pounds of 3inch screws

used a screw gun, my Milwaukee circular saw
my ShopSmith (band saw, table saw, drill press, drum sander)

Last things to do is cover the top with some ply (maybe some wood shingles) and paint it. Have to wait 6 weeks to paint it though till the hemlock has given up its water. It was a tree last week.

The only problem?

This thing weighs more the me and Junkman combined!!!!! gotta be close to 400 pounds.

As I have to transport it up a slope to the house, I might be able to set it on my carryall forks ... but it still has to be lifted into place.

Attachments

• P0004618.jpg
    P0004618.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 6
  • P0004619.jpg
    P0004619.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 4
  • P0004620.jpg
    P0004620.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 5

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice project. But silly question, is it possible to knock it down into parts and then simply re-assemble at the house? Or is it constructed as a whole unit that would prevent knocking it down for transport?

DAP

Nice project. But silly question, is it possible to knock it down into parts and then simply re-assemble at the house? Or is it constructed as a whole unit that would prevent knocking it down for transport?

I considered that option. I was hoping I could do it that way. Going through the requirements in my head put the cabash on that approach as the thing makes contact with 3 different surfaces (the house, the slab and and another stone). It actually will be attached to the house at the back side of the arch.

The challenge will be finding a nice piece of stone for the left side to live on. If I broke it down into 3 sections (top and 2 sides), it would still require 3 people to put together. In the end, I think it will be easier to set it into place constructed.

I may change my mind from a hospital bed though! :thumb:

I"ll post a completion photo and a xerox of my medical chart w xrays when done.