• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Air cleaner

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I need a room-size air cleaner. The room where the wood stove is has a tendency of getting a fair amount of dust which is driving Mrs. Zoom crazy.
Not looking for anything super fancy (HEPA...) but just something to collect dust in the air.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Hunter makes decent air filter units - you can find them at most big box stores (walmart, target, etc...) there's even a version with a washable filter in it so you're not always buying pleated cartridges. Biggish one (suitable for room over 12x12) should be available in the $50 or so range.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
If you're going to bother in the first place, I'd say HEPA with a prefilter (to keep the HEPA good longer).

Every hardware store and discount store out there probably has enough to make your eyes swim, so you could almost pick what matches the room. I recall picking out a cheapo [and have an indentical one stashed around here somewhere too] for the inlaws [for occasional use] at Walmart, and it worked pretty well; however new filters costs about as much as the initial purchase - and not exactly a high quality motor, but despite a slight squeak [on both units IIRC] still works.

However with my insistance on domestic goods and looking for a diehard without bells&whistles to contribute to early failure, I bought an Austin (Jr. model I believe) a few years back. 24/7 on low and it's still going fine. I've cleaned the prefilter, but have yet to need to purchase a filter for it.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
images
+
master:KFC003.jpg
+
duct-tape.jpg
= :thumb:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
No idea why this thread creapt into my head, but bczoom did you ever decide on an air filter? Or did you just go with DaveNay's redneck version (which I have seen done, but can't remember how effective :doh: )?!

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
actually, the redneck version works great in a garage/shop for picking up fine wood dust from sanding or table saw use, but in a house I'd build a nice frame to drop the fan and filter in so it would look less out of place.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No idea why this thread creapt into my head, but bczoom did you ever decide on an air filter?
Yep. I picked up a Honeywell 50250
Here's a link, with product info copied below.

So far, I'd say it's working pretty decent. It's not as if you're never going to have to dust the wood in the room but the amount of dust from the wood stove is way down. There's a 3-speed fan which is nice. If I've just emptied the ashes or something, I crank it up to high for a couple hours afterwards. We put it on the low setting when in the room. At it's low setting, the fan is about the same volume as the woodstove fan(s). I got from HD but looking on the internet, better pricing is available.

Details:

This portable True HEPA air cleaner 99.97% effective at reducing airborne particles such as smoke, dust and pollen from the air that passes through the filter. The activated carbon pre-filter helps reduce odors and extend filter life. A patented HEPA SurroundSseal and 360 degree airflow helps maximize efficiency. A recommended room size of 17 Ft. x 22 Ft. makes the unit ideal for large rooms. The intellicheck filter monitor electronically reminds you to replace the pre-filter and vacuum the HEPA filter.

* Recommended for those suffering from servere allery and asthma symptoms
* Electronic Filter Change Reminder for Carbon Pre-filter
* Permanet HEPA Filter - simply vacuum twice a year
* 17 Ft. x 22 Ft. Size Room
* 5 Year Limited Warranty
* MFG Brand Name : Honeywell
* MFG Model # : 50250
* MFG Part # : 50250

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PS, I gave it to Mrs. Zoom as part of her Christmas presents. :hide: Had she not wanted one, I would have been in the dog house... I did resist and not get her a new vacuum cleaner...