• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker gods smiled today !!!!!

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Well after following up a northern N.H. tip, the tucker gods smiled !!!!!:clap::clap::clap:I found in an antique shop up North of the notch,two hand painted Tucker display signs. I'm thinking about 1951 or 1952. They mention my 2 1949 Tucker snowcats , one bought by the Cannon mountain tramway co. and one bought by waterville inn in Waterville valley, and having been used 2 seasons. The sign also makes known that a Tucker "FREIGHTER " is on display. I believe these signs were made for some large meet like the "EASTERN STATES EXPOSITION" in Springfield Mass around 1951. I'm thinking "Jinn"the tucker GURU:smile: may know when the first freighter was sent to the N.H. sno-cat corp to date the signs. Here they are another link to Tucker history !!:biggrin::biggrin:

original.jpg

original.jpg

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I guess if you beat enough bushes,sometimes things fall out !:smile: hows things on the mountain? going good i hope .

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The first Freighter to go east went to Mr. David Gregg in Nashua, N.H. The second went to Tucker Sno-Cat Corp in Plymouth. Both of these Freighters were 624's. Good find Mr. Loggah

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
great find and fabulous piece of tucker east coast history, Tucker Sno-cat had a wonderful long history on the east coast, Gregg was very successful, the tucker sno-cat was the right machine for the conditions. mr loggah, you have a very nice collection of the early east coast tuckers. i am impressed.

Last edited:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Scott, Any dates when the freighters were sent East? trying to figure out when and where the machine was displayed with these signs, thanks. Don

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great addition to your collection! Maybe displayed at some
Fair up that way Lancaster grounds?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Scott, Any dates when the freighters were sent East? trying to figure out when and where the machine was displayed with these signs, thanks. Don

soctt is out playing with tuckers today, so, i will try to answer your question.

freighter, serial #148040, sold to David A Gregg, Nashua, N.H.

freighter, serial #148043, sold to Tucker Sno-cat Corp, Plymouth

freighter, serial #148046, sold to Tucker Sno-cat. Plymouth

all the above are 1948's, model 624

freighter, serial # 149063, sold to N.Y. State, Albany, N.Y.

freighter, serial # 149064, sold to N.Y. State, Albany, N.Y.

and these were 1949's and model 643

the 3, 1948's were the only Freighters sold to Gregg, so, think the 1948's are the ones referred to on your sign, there is no info as to who Gregg sold them to, other than serial # 148046 was originally to be purchased by Fred Pabst, he did not buy it, though he did buy several Tucker Sno-cats over the years, just not a freighter. And a total of 5 freighters were sold on the east coast through the late 50's. The military did buy, through purchasing offices on the east coast, for use in Alaska and around the world.

Does look like Gregg never bought another freighter directly, he may have brokered the sale of freighters, that is just a guess, Gregg did sell mostly models 423 and 443 by the truck load to the east coast, and almost as many sno-cat trailers. So, I think he only bought 3 Freighters...

Last edited:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Jinn, Thank you very much,that is a lot of good info!! Gregg must have still owned one of the Freighters in 1951-52 according to the sign time frame,and had it for display. Interesting history to say the least!! thanks again. Don

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
mr loggah, David A Gregg bought his first sno-cat, May 10, 1947, it was a 420 with a Chevrolet 6 cylinder engine, ( mr, addict, that is a true torpedo unicorn ) along with 2 trailers, a 1/2 ton and the other a 1 ton.

He, Mr Gregg, was the first Tucker Sno-cat dealer in the country.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Jinn,5 years to the day,when i was born,May 10 1952 !!!!:smile::smile: thats some more interesting early snowcat history . Just like going back in time.Are the 624 freighters 2 pontoon machines with the straight 8 engine? they would be quite long machines. Don

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
yes, both the 624 and 623 are two pontoon with chrysler straight 8 engines, and the 643 also uses the straight 8 and have 4 pontoons, 1951 was the last year of freighters with straight 8 power plants, with no freighters built in 1952, then in 1953 the vastly improved 743 freighter, now powered by the famed 331 HEMI, with a automatic transmission, and finally in 1955, the automatic transmissions not longer being used and now a manual is standard

I would say May 10, in New England is and always will be a very special day...

Loggah, I will start another thread when our less than pleasant job is closer to completion. The problem not the weather, site conditions, steepness, hikers or mechanical problems. It's with some guy that says he can drive a train, but I don't think he could.:shifty: On the plus side, if there are any more delays I may be able to drive my Tucker to work.
Keep looking for the tucker with the straight eight. If it's out there, I'm sure you will find it.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is an update on our little Caty-Shack.Jinn is so good at notchoing beams that we bought her a sombrero.

With the exception of one tree that was growing too close to the sawmill, all the rest of the wood is from blow down and trees that were dying. A totally green endeavor.

Attachments

• DSCN3130.jpg
    DSCN3130.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 372
  • DSCN3188.jpg
    DSCN3188.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 365

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
"WOW"!!!!!!! you guys are building the TUCKER TAJ MAHAL !!!!!:clap::clap::clap: makes me want to go out and burn my pole barn with all the old iron in it !!!:mellow::mellow: Well not really.:smile:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
"WOW"!!!!!!! you guys are building the TUCKER TAJ MAHAL !!!!!:clap::clap::clap: makes me want to go out and burn my pole barn with all the old iron in it !!!:mellow::mellow: Well not really.:smile:

I see a showdown of loggah vs logger, could be epic

please, please, please, do not burn down your wonderful pole building, it is not a competition, we are on the same tucker team to save and preserve these wonderful machines of winter

logger has a unfair advantage, douglas firs do grow kinda big, and frankly he has a secret minion... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Sno-Surfer

That's some good wood you're putting up there! I still can't believe how much you have done out there. Who knew Sno Cat retirement would be so good!
:wow::clap:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Hey Mr. Loggah, when it comes to tracked machines, what we collect is light weight compared to your Lombards. Keep the faith. Burning is not allowed even with DEQ permit.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Well you know when no one else can figure it out, some logger will "GET IT DONE":smile: but it might not always be pretty !!:biggrin::biggrin:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Heres the end result of my building,all full with many different types of "OLD IRON", the tuckers are surrounded by heavyweights!:smile:

original.jpg

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I would need to make more land above flood plain,i had to build this area all up.:ermm: There are 3 Cletracs in there the 2 smaller ones are BGSH models from the late 40's, the big orange one is a 1952 FDE the last of the big cletracs weighs about 20 tons with the big carco winch on back. That same year Oliver changed the design and made the OC-18.The Tucker trailer is in the background suspended from the trusses .:biggrin:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Well it seems like the Tucker signs were part of a 4 sign set !!!!!!!:w00t2: I discovered that the New England Ski Museum at Cannon Mtn has 2 more signs that were donated to the museum,along with a shovel and axe that originally came on a Tucker. Here they are .

original.jpg

original.jpg