Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN




Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Classifieds (For Sale / Wanted) Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Nikson's Avatar
Nikson Nikson is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,080
Thanks: 839
Thanked 595 Times in 230 Posts
Nikson is on a distinguished road
Default Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

Hey fellas.,

I'll throw an offer on the table...

Been looking to do some diesel conversions on my end for some of my toys (the Jeep & the Thiokol), so had my client do up a quote for me from Japan to import some of those Toyota diesel engines & halfcuts.

If there is anyone with the interest, let me know, so I know how big of a container to fill to get everyone happy.

Depending on the engine setup (if its just engine/tranny/wiring or a complete halfcut) price will vary from $2000-8500 (the newer & bigger - price goes up)

Nikson
__________________
You can find me on Youtube & Instagram
aka "BudNixon"

"Everything will be okay, and if it not okay - its not yet everything!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 PM
pixie's Avatar
pixie pixie is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern New Hampshire
Posts: 2,226
Thanks: 589
Thanked 315 Times in 147 Posts
pixie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

Cool !
Can you tell us what horsepower costs how much ? And maybe what they fit originally ?
__________________
Live Free or Die
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Snowtrac Nome's Avatar
Snowtrac Nome Snowtrac Nome is offline
member formerly known as dds
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NOME AK
Posts: 9,446
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1,002 Times in 630 Posts
Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

i would love a 6 cylinder for a land cruiser but for me to be happy it would have to be a mechanical engine got no use for an electronic diesel way the hell out here. plus it seems a little pricey as i can get ca emission rejects for less thhan a thousand dollars.
__________________
Don
1962 st-4
KL2ZF
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Nikson's Avatar
Nikson Nikson is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,080
Thanks: 839
Thanked 595 Times in 230 Posts
Nikson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

Most of these engines are half-cuts from SUVs, such as LandCruiser, Hilux, 4Runner and similar 4x4s.

its the engine model you need to consider during purchase, not necessarily what it came from.

If you google any of the stated models, I believe Wikipedia shows what autos had those engines under the hood.

CA regect - would be good to find that as well, just havent been finding much of a variety at all.
__________________
You can find me on Youtube & Instagram
aka "BudNixon"

"Everything will be okay, and if it not okay - its not yet everything!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Snowtrac Nome's Avatar
Snowtrac Nome Snowtrac Nome is offline
member formerly known as dds
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NOME AK
Posts: 9,446
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1,002 Times in 630 Posts
Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

the isuzus i have found are mechanicaly injected 4 cylinders with horsepower capability up to 80 horsepower. the weight is right around 300 pounds these engines came off of thermoking refer units.the down side is they are constant rpm set ups which will require some modifacation to make them work in an automotive application. i keep thinking of looking for a newer suv to put one in for my wife to drive around in that way she will get better milage than her blue broom gets now.
__________________
Don
1962 st-4
KL2ZF
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Nikson's Avatar
Nikson Nikson is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,080
Thanks: 839
Thanked 595 Times in 230 Posts
Nikson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds View Post
the isuzus i have found are mechanicaly injected 4 cylinders with horsepower capability up to 80 horsepower. the weight is right around 300 pounds these engines came off of thermoking refer units.the down side is they are constant rpm set ups which will require some modifacation to make them work in an automotive application. i keep thinking of looking for a newer suv to put one in for my wife to drive around in that way she will get better milage than her blue broom gets now.
What my research has shown (proven on facts of others conversions) that most of these engines dont have a problem with getting 20+MPG (larger ones) while producing VERY LARGE amount of torque., while the smaller ones like 1KZ-TE been installed in a 1st gen Tundra, pulling a trailer - getting 30+ MPGs...

Keeping in mind that most auto community will agree that these toyota engines are +500000 mile reliablity rating for the most part, they were made to be used in a vehicle (vs stationary use).

Conversion isnt too complicated - been done by "hand wrenches" in home garages by most guys.

P.s. on my last trip to Russia, guy showed me a 1KZ-TE install in a Jeep.
Simple fact is that bellhousings swap with the 1KZ to the one on a Jeep already (AW4 tranny) along with some other minor parts... So there is really minor mods to the actual marrying of the motor & tranny (at least on a Jeep). While some guys with Toyo's say that a lot of times even engine mounts are the same.
__________________
You can find me on Youtube & Instagram
aka "BudNixon"

"Everything will be okay, and if it not okay - its not yet everything!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Snowtrac Nome's Avatar
Snowtrac Nome Snowtrac Nome is offline
member formerly known as dds
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NOME AK
Posts: 9,446
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1,002 Times in 630 Posts
Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

i have a guy up here with a cherry 80' land crusier that i would love to drop in a 6 cyl turbo diesel. if i had the money or the ability to get one of those motors with a mechanical injection system i activly try to pick it up. but with the shipping i don't think i could justify it. may lok into canada for one.
__________________
Don
1962 st-4
KL2ZF
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Nikson's Avatar
Nikson Nikson is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,080
Thanks: 839
Thanked 595 Times in 230 Posts
Nikson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds View Post
i have a guy up here with a cherry 80' land crusier that i would love to drop in a 6 cyl turbo diesel. if i had the money or the ability to get one of those motors with a mechanical injection system i activly try to pick it up. but with the shipping i don't think i could justify it. may lok into canada for one.
Well, price of the whole process isnt justifiable by no explanation...

same as dropping $20k into resto of a cat...
__________________
You can find me on Youtube & Instagram
aka "BudNixon"

"Everything will be okay, and if it not okay - its not yet everything!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Snowtrac Nome's Avatar
Snowtrac Nome Snowtrac Nome is offline
member formerly known as dds
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NOME AK
Posts: 9,446
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1,002 Times in 630 Posts
Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

if i could find one on the west coast of canada than shipping can be more afordable as i always know some one bringing up a container i can toss it in
__________________
Don
1962 st-4
KL2ZF
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Nikson's Avatar
Nikson Nikson is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,080
Thanks: 839
Thanked 595 Times in 230 Posts
Nikson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds View Post
if i could find one on the west coast of canada than shipping can be more afordable as i always know some one bringing up a container i can toss it in
my container is coming to Oregon.
__________________
You can find me on Youtube & Instagram
aka "BudNixon"

"Everything will be okay, and if it not okay - its not yet everything!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Blackfoot Tucker Blackfoot Tucker is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,055
Thanks: 134
Thanked 1,142 Times in 348 Posts
Blackfoot Tucker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

I understand these guys are a source for used Toyota Diesel engines/ parts:
http://www.gscruiserparts.com/G_S_Cruiser_Parts.html

(No affiliation/never done business with 'em.)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Nikson's Avatar
Nikson Nikson is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,080
Thanks: 839
Thanked 595 Times in 230 Posts
Nikson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfoot Tucker View Post
I understand these guys are a source for used Toyota Diesel engines/ parts:
http://www.gscruiserparts.com/G_S_Cruiser_Parts.html

(No affiliation/never done business with 'em.)
I've spoken with them, but they are in Canada, still have to deal with customs.
__________________
You can find me on Youtube & Instagram
aka "BudNixon"

"Everything will be okay, and if it not okay - its not yet everything!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Blackfoot Tucker Blackfoot Tucker is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,055
Thanks: 134
Thanked 1,142 Times in 348 Posts
Blackfoot Tucker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikson View Post
I've spoken with them, but they are in Canada, still have to deal with customs.
I've never imported a used Japanese engine from Canada so I certainly don't speak from experience. A few years ago I bought a used Tucker in Canada and went there to pick it up. It was pretty painless. US Customs was more concerned about the mud on the tracks and asked where I picked it up. Their concern was about the Golden Nematode.

I'm curious, what is the difficulty with importing a used engine, especially one not even made in Canada?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Nikson's Avatar
Nikson Nikson is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,080
Thanks: 839
Thanked 595 Times in 230 Posts
Nikson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfoot Tucker View Post
I've never imported a used Japanese engine from Canada so I certainly don't speak from experience. A few years ago I bought a used Tucker in Canada and went there to pick it up. It was pretty painless. US Customs was more concerned about the mud on the tracks and asked where I picked it up. Their concern was about the Golden Nematode.

I'm curious, what is the difficulty with importing a used engine, especially one not even made in Canada?
EPA is the one thats making it all that difficult...
__________________
You can find me on Youtube & Instagram
aka "BudNixon"

"Everything will be okay, and if it not okay - its not yet everything!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Blackfoot Tucker Blackfoot Tucker is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,055
Thanks: 134
Thanked 1,142 Times in 348 Posts
Blackfoot Tucker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

Bud, I don't doubt you for a second. The EPA can be a monstrous PITA.

But I found out about G & S from the Proffitt's Cruisers website: http://www.shoumatoff.com/~jeremiah/...sel/index.html

Proffitt's is a very highly respected company in the Land Cruiser world and their recommendation carries some weight there. I would think that if they can import those engines for a Diesel engine conversion in a Land Cruiser used on the road and subject to EPA regulations, one could more easily import one for use in an old snowcat.

[I don't think snowcat engine emissions were regulated by the EPA back when most of ours were built (1960's-1980's). I do understand they are now limiting snowcat emissions on current production machines.]

Perhaps you could call Proffitts and see how they get around the EPA's BS?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 AM
muleman's Avatar
muleman muleman is offline
worn out farmer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: on top of the mountain
Posts: 27,191
Thanks: 584
Thanked 910 Times in 430 Posts
muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

The EPA and their BS regulations for offroad vehicles and lawnmowers and anything that moves are a big part of our problems in this country. I can see some of it in big city areas but not out in the hills and wide open country. Like everything else it drives costs out of this world and adds to a bloated government. If we all fired up all our equipment it would not be more than a spec compared to many major city areas.
__________________
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
undy undy is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Madison, WI area
Posts: 728
Thanks: 66
Thanked 164 Times in 102 Posts
undy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

I'm sure EPA can be a pita to work with, but the law is on the importer's side, from what I know. If you import the entire vehicle, and it's over 21 yrs old, then it's exempted by EPA. Otherwise, if it's just a part, you've got a lot less to worry about. If it's going into an off-road vehicle, then "who cares" seems to be the attitude:

EPA regulates the entire vehicle, not individual parts, for cars, light trucks, medium duty passenger vehicles (MDPVs), chassis-certified HDVs, and motorcycles. If an engine is not installed, and is to be used in a car, motorcycle, or light truck, it may be imported as an automotive part. Anyone may import a non-chassis-mounted light-duty engine for use in a motor vehicle which is currently covered by an EPA certificate or will be covered by an EPA certificate prior to introduction into commerce. No approval or Customs bond is required by EPA. However, importers should be aware that several engine uses are violations of the Clean Air Act
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/documents/420b11015.pdf

FWIW, even U.S. DOT/NHTSA exempts an entire vehicle if it's old enough. In DOT's case, 25 years old.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Nikson's Avatar
Nikson Nikson is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,080
Thanks: 839
Thanked 595 Times in 230 Posts
Nikson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
I'm sure EPA can be a pita to work with, but the law is on the importer's side, from what I know. If you import the entire vehicle, and it's over 21 yrs old, then it's exempted by EPA. Otherwise, if it's just a part, you've got a lot less to worry about. If it's going into an off-road vehicle, then "who cares" seems to be the attitude:

EPA regulates the entire vehicle, not individual parts, for cars, light trucks, medium duty passenger vehicles (MDPVs), chassis-certified HDVs, and motorcycles. If an engine is not installed, and is to be used in a car, motorcycle, or light truck, it may be imported as an automotive part. Anyone may import a non-chassis-mounted light-duty engine for use in a motor vehicle which is currently covered by an EPA certificate or will be covered by an EPA certificate prior to introduction into commerce. No approval or Customs bond is required by EPA. However, importers should be aware that several engine uses are violations of the Clean Air Act
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/documents/420b11015.pdf

FWIW, even U.S. DOT/NHTSA exempts an entire vehicle if it's old enough. In DOT's case, 25 years old.
Well, our plan is an import broker to be used to bring in the container with those half cuts, I'm not sure of the loop holes, just speaking of the "hearsay" others been talking about.

Overall, these diesel engines are awesome, and reliability is there for lots of miles... they been known to be called "million km" engines, as long as all the regular maintenance is done on time.

I would love to see a smaller Toyo diesel up in the Cascades on my cat, running on veggie oil... - that would be something...
__________________
You can find me on Youtube & Instagram
aka "BudNixon"

"Everything will be okay, and if it not okay - its not yet everything!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 AM
JimVT's Avatar
JimVT JimVT is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Enumclaw WA.
Posts: 3,679
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1,592 Times in 719 Posts
JimVT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

I bought a 80 scout with a 6 cylinder nisson turbo diesel and it was good to me. some forlifts used the same engine.
__________________
Jim KF7RiN
#185 snow trac
2004 pistenbully canyon
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 PM
Nikson's Avatar
Nikson Nikson is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,080
Thanks: 839
Thanked 595 Times in 230 Posts
Nikson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota Diesel Engine & Transmission (1HD-T/1HZ/1KZ-TE/2L-TE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVT View Post
I bought a 80 scout with a 6 cylinder nisson turbo diesel and it was good to me. some forlifts used the same engine.
Yes, at this point seems that "conversion" world had found that there are few other options out there, anything off forklift & breadtrucks to engines that were used on generators.

I guess time will show - seems like US might slowly take its right steps get more diesel options with the SUVs & vehicles...
__________________
You can find me on Youtube & Instagram
aka "BudNixon"

"Everything will be okay, and if it not okay - its not yet everything!!!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
converversion, diesel, engine, swap, toyota

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Economy Cars ... my new VW Jetta TDI (diesel) vs Toyota Prius Melensdad Cars, Trucks Forum 51 10-12-2010 01:08 PM
Runaway Diesel Engine Cowboy Tractor Forum 63 10-06-2010 01:20 PM
Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World Deadly Sushi Junkman's Corner 3 11-30-2007 07:51 PM
Cool Toyota HD Diesel Truck... humor_me Cars, Trucks Forum 7 10-31-2007 10:56 AM
Diesel or gas engine ??? BigAl Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum 17 11-17-2006 08:47 PM







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2018 www.ForumsForums.com