• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Sno-Cat 1971 442 Pontoon type 4K MA

Laurentian

Found this today, passing it on :
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/rvs/3081849602.html
No affiliation, just a fan.

Tucker44271.jpg

Laurentian

Are the baby blue pontoons fiberglass and the orange steel ?
Will take some effort to free those up again I am guessing.
Someone has their work cut out for them :neutral:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
ikind of like the body lines on the older tuckers like that would be a good canadate for a belted track conversion

Laurentian

I agree, good looking cab, kinda like my Toyota 4X4 picl-up cab ( extra-Cab ) Looks like the fuel tank is inside, any reason they did this? Would make sense if it was diesel to keep the fuel warm :brows:
I feel like asking my building's landlord if he would mind having a large sno-cat parked in our shop's alley for next 10 years while I try to free the tracks up. Probably be able to rework one a year lol.
Seriously what do you guys think this is worth as it sits ?
What kind of rigging is needed to get this up on a flatbed trailer ?
Offroad / yard type heavy forklift with fork extensions maybe?
Do you pick them up by the frame ?
Hugh

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Value. I am not sure? ( I feel that is personal, kind of closely related to passion) You will know what it is worth if it is right for you.

Loading it? I constanly amaze myself at what I can move with a high lift jack and a sturdy come along. Extra planks, blocking and rollers are luxury items.

Happy shopping,

Mike

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i wouldn't price it too high i would look at what a belted track conversion cost than deduct that amount from your purchace price dosn't apear to have any cancer i would offer a low ball price of one thousand or less knowing you will likely have to go through it front to rear remember bearings seals and gauges all add up as does your time it has to be worth something.

Laurentian

OK Thanks !
An industrial slant six is a 225 ?
I was under the impression all tuckers were 318's ?

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the older tuckers used 235 flat heads which were good motors than the other engines i have seen in tuckers were 1st gen hemi's 318 and 360's 5.9 cummins and 53 series detroits i have to believe there might be more

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Over the years Tuckers have had various engines. I know they used the 318 Industrial as well as the 360 Industrial and also the 440 Industrial, depending on year, model and options. They've used various Diesel engines such as the 4-53 Detroit, some Perkins Diesels and ones from Cummins, too. They also used an Industrial Hemi "back in the day"....

The tracks look "rusty". One thing I'd be very concerned about is the condition of the flanged track bearings. Each grouser bar has two and there are something like 30 grouser bars per pontoon and four pontoons. So quick math is 240 bearings.

They aren't available from Tucker anymore and IIRC Cook's Equipment in Vermont had some reproduction ones that were in the vicinity of 40-50 bucks each. They probably all wouldn't be bad, but it could get really expensive... really fast.

As far as loading and unloading I'd think you would be fine winching it onto and off a trailer. I have kind of a Rube Goldberg trailer setup. It's just a 10,000 GVW car hauler with some RR tie cribbing on the deck to get the tracks above the fenders. It's not real pretty, but it works fairly well and I've probably put close to 4,000 miles on the trailer loaded with Tuckers.

Hugh, I understand your passion, and your desire to get one to start working on. Honestly though, I think you'd be better off finding one in better shape to begin with.

They do show up from time to time. For example about two or three years ago there was a pretty nice 543 on KSL.com. It was fully operable. That machine had the sedan style cab and the wider pontoons (both desirable features, IMHO).

I kind-of lusted after it but I was hoping Weatherby would get it and I didn't want to buy it out from under him.

Good Luck!

Laurentian

Thanks BlackFoot, you pretty well nailed it on the head, I just love rebuilding things ! Everything I buy is used, mostly rare high quality stuff that is no longer made or out of reach price wise.
This weekend I cleaned up and installed a Carrier 5 ton water cooled AC for the shop and painted the top diverter plenum / grill like new. Payed 350.00 at auction for it, looks new, low hours. You are right about the MA tucker. Thanks for the head's up. I can cnc my own rollers but the track hinges and other stuff will get expensive. I guess some of you guys make it look too easy when it's not.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm a snot trac guy, but am a real fan of the belted track tuckers i still think it looks quite sound as i said before i would ditch the pontoons for belts. i don't know what that would cost but it would make one cool looking rig.

Laurentian

There's a belted track Sno-Cat in Vt, asking 8K
Been mentioned a couple times over the last two years,
operating condition, '75 318 5 sp.
May drop in and look at it over the summer.
Pricey ?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
sounds like agood deal for you all on the east coast add 5 grand to get it cross country and another 5 to get it here makes it a bit spendy for me besides i need a heavy hauler now

Mtn-Track

If you want a belted-track Tucker then buy one that way. Trust me. Way cheaper than doing the conversion...:doh:

Other early engines were the Chrysler Industrial 251 and 265 flathead 6. That slant 6 was probably a swap-out.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm almost positive this is the sister rig to mine. Well what used to be mine. The seller bought 4 of them from Pats Peak (3- 442's and a 443). The 443 was restored and later stolen (screwed up how 2 of the 4 have gone that way :ermm:). The 442's had all of the best parts put onto one rig for grooming, until they bought a 1000 series. That was the one I bought. This one was still intact, and the third was just a chassis and cab since the pontoons and track had been scavenged for the other two.

All of the pontoons are steel. This one was just painted- maybe to match a fiberglass one in the past?? But with the tracks sitting directly on the ground, the track is going to be in rough shape in those areas.

And the steel track tuckers definitely don't like coming off or going on trailers not using their own power!

David

Laurentian

Dave, have you considered picking up this one as a replacmnet for your stolen rig ? From what I read you alreday have some ngood pontoons.
You may be able to get parts off this one as back up plus you get a fairly nice cab. Anyhow sorry to hear about the theft.

Laurentian

If you want a belted-track Tucker then buy one that way. Trust me. Way cheaper than doing the conversion...:doh:

Other early engines were the Chrysler Industrial 251 and 265 flathead 6. That slant 6 was probably a swap-out.

Thanks Mtn, you must know :wink:

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, that did cross my mind, until a little four letter word came to mind.

W-I-F-E

It took some hard selling to get the first one in my yard. There is no way that much money is going back out this soon.:doh:

Laurentian

Dave, no theft insurance on your Tucker ? :sad:
Would like to know what you payed for yours,
you can pm me, just want to get a feel for what
they go far more or less.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Until it got completely restored I would have probably paid more in premiums than what they would have covered it for.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
For the time being.

Almost all of the money I had into the Tucker can be recooped in the pontoons & tracks anyway. Time, well that's a different story.:toilet:

So I'm sandblasting all four this summer, making any repairs that are needed to dimples, dents and cracks, then sealing them with some sort of water resistant primer. My plan was / is for Tucker orange, but I don't wan't to paint them that color and end up selling them off to someone that may need to change colors for theirs.

The tracks are taking around 40 man hours per set, so I'll continue to work on them as I can (read get re-motivated). Between the rollers I have and the ones I bought from Muley180, I hopefully will have 4 complete working sets that all roll. Some of the end caps on the rollers are open, but for my planned low use / low mileage riding it wouldn't have been a problem. If I sell them off, someone would probably have to swap those rollers for fully sealed units for heavier use.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 272