• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

manufactured homes

AndyM

Charter Member
As I've mentioned lately, we are looking into other options for the next chapter of our lives, with possible changes being made late-spring or early-summer.

We're looking at moving out of state, probably western or central Pennsylvania, eastern or northern West Virginia, western Maryland, or western or northern Virginia.

Rather than building a much larger house than we need again, we're exploring the possibility of various types of manufactured housing. We're looking to get as much for our money as possible.

I see LBrown59 has been lurking around here the past few days... I think he has worked in this business for quite a while. Maybe he or somebody else has some guidence in what to look for to get something that looks like a stick-built ranch (must not look like a "trailer" if possible) for less money. The modular homes with higher pitched roofs look nice. We're trying to keep costs down and possibly pay it off from the equity from our current home.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Andy.....Before you can really figure out what "The Most for your Money" really is, you have to make some decisions about what you want. Even with manufactured homes, modular or otherwise, there are many variables. That's before you even get into trying to find a builder/manufacturer. You'll find it time well spent to list out your priorities and the things your flexable about in a home. Nationwide has a pretty good selection of floor plans. The wife and I entertained one for "The Farm". We may still go that way at some point. I can't speak for the builders who assemble the product or the pricing (we never took it that far), but I did like the "Custom Like" flexability they offered. They also seemed like a substantial enough outfit and not a fly-by-night.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Stratford homes will factory build any floor plan you want. If the plan can not be compartmentalized, they'll pre-build the walls only.

I have no affiliation with them, other than my brother sold them years ago. I was fairly impressed with what they do. Any windows you want, any fixtures wall textures, appliances, cabinets, anything you want, they'll design and build.

What is neat is that you get the foundation built. The they'll bring the cranes and compartments, and by that evening, it is sealed to weather, and you occupy within 3 weeks.

My brother is no longer in construction. I, however, am working with a Stratford contractor designing my next home. And it is very unique. I'm sure people will be surprised when i tell them it was a factory-built.

A really neat software to use is by Broderbund called 3D Home Design. It can be bought on eBay for about 10 bucks. You can build the home, place furniture, specify wall and floor coverings, then "walk-through" the house and see almost exactly what it would look when finished. You can then save the file in a .dxf file, so Stratford's engineers / architects can "build" the house with AutoCad much quicker than had you not provided the draft plans.

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
Why not just cut through the chase and order one of these? Here's the link to ModularCenter :thumb:

Attachments

• MH.jpg
    MH.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 95