• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Jev remodels fireplace, me two, plus a kitchen

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
So we are selling our current place on the water and have purchased a much larger place on the water.

She wants a fireplace in the bedroom and one in the front room. See the pix - those corners is where they will go.

I am a wimp as well - they will be gas fireplaces with blowers, direct vent. The one in the pic is what will be in the living room, and installed with a similar surround. Both will be the Napoleon Brand. The bedroom will be a 42" with a stainless surround, and the plasma mounted on top.

And the kitchen needs to be turned Euro. Already bought the 48" Gas Jenn Air range and the 48" JennAir Fridge and JennAir dishwasher at the local outlet. They are watching for an ice maker and a 30" micro and an under counter wine cooler. Looks like she wants all drawer bottom cabs and some garage door style and some standard on top. Probably smooth glossy finish. And of course, the plate glass backsplash like the last one.

Same tyoe of set up as the last place with the stainless appliances, just much bigger. This one will most likely get the thick blue corral granite as well.

3875 sq ft

I'll update as we get into it. Still have to move in. It's only 5 doors down from our current place, but moving simply sucks.

Attachments

• Living Room(Medium).jpg
    Living Room(Medium).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Fireplace (Medium).jpg
    Fireplace (Medium).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Kitchen(Medium).jpg
    Kitchen(Medium).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Bedroom(Medium).jpg
    Bedroom(Medium).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 142

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck with the move. We told Melen that instead of moving we would just leave her everything and she'd be stuck with it. Seems like it is easier to just start over with everything new from new underwear to new TV sets.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Last time we moved was 1992, and my back is still sore.:brows: Nice place, too bad the move is so close. Costs as much to have the big stuff moved 10 miles as it does down the street. In my younger days a case of beer and grill full of burgers & brats would get you moved with all your buddies & their trucks. Today we're much smarter, and also have a few more bucks to pay someone else to do it.:biggrin:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
We've been bringing over the little stuff. We will pay the guys to move the furniture though. I ain't breaking my back!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Kitchen cabinets are ordered, all appliances bought.

The peninsula is moving up or toward the carpet. You'll see six feet of tile between it and the carpet. That will be down to about 2 feet of tile, and we will be making the edge seen curved, so the tile will move into the carpet area following the curve and allowing for stools. Then after the kitchen is done, a real-wood engineered floor of birds-eye maple is going down. I'll be busy for a few months to say the least. I'll do everything but the wood floor - they only want 3 bucks a foot to install it. Then have to finish sand and varnish, but that would have to be done anyway.

The garage is under the kitchen, and the floor is a bit chilly. And since the old tile will be replaced, and I am going to have to lift the subfloor up to run plumbing and electric to the island, and will need another 220v circuit for the convect micro on the outer wall, I may as well foam the inside of garage ceiling.

While I am in there, I think I have a clear path to the third floor bathroom. I'd like to install the Kohler DTVII system shower, but I need 3/4 hot and cold lines to the valve. If I have a clear path, I'll be roughing those in as well. If i can't get the lines up, then no DTV.

And I want to put heat under the tile in the kitchen.

Anybody done this under-tile heat- what brand did you use and how did it work out?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Fred,:smile:

If you shoot closed cell foam on the garage ceiling, will you really need the heated floor? That foam is awfully good, and has a high R rating. I bet this alone will change the floor temps alot.

Regards, Kirk

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Fred,:smile:

If you shoot closed cell foam on the garage ceiling, will you really need the heated floor? That foam is awfully good, and has a high R rating. I bet this alone will change the floor temps alot.

Regards, Kirk
I agree. The closed cell sprayed foam creates a thermal break to keep the cold on the cold side, and the warm on the warm side. But even with foam installed, if you like to walk around in stocking feet or keep the space cool for other reasons, the radiant heat would still be needed if you like a warm floor.

If you install radiant wires, be certain they are tested as the floor goes down to make certain nothing is damaged. Once the tile is down, it's a PIA, and very expensive, to tear it up to fix any problems. Good luck with it.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
We have a small kitchen now, and there are 2 forced air vents that keep the tile toasty. The new kitchen is at least twice as big.

My wife and I never wear shoes in the house, and she likes barefoot. So will
need some heat.

And something to remember - test that wire as the tile goes down - Thanks for the tip!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
On the Saint Joseph River, about a mile from Lake Michigan, on Marina Island, In between Anchor's Way Marina and Brian's Marina.

Two 40 foot slips right in front of my place. And then another at the St Joe Isle Yacht Club.

Attachments

• where we are.jpg
    where we are.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 81

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's a pic of the cabinet plan. I tried scanning but must have screwed up the printer in the move.

Attachments

• Plan.jpg
    Plan.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 68

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Appliances delivered Friday evening. And the washer and drier too.
The stove and fridge are in the garage until tile work is done and cabinets started.

Attachments

• 20150306_183513 (Medium).jpg
    20150306_183513 (Medium).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 20150306_183502 (Medium).jpg
    20150306_183502 (Medium).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20150306_183434 (Medium).jpg
    20150306_183434 (Medium).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 60
  • 20150306_183420 (Medium).jpg
    20150306_183420 (Medium).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 20150306_180608 (Medium).jpg
    20150306_180608 (Medium).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 62

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Cabinets scheduled to be delivered on the 16th of April.
I gotta get to work on this thing!

I bought another condo in Trenton Michigan with a 40 foot slip, so I can be close to work. That one will be sold in 10 years or so, so it's just going to get new carpet and paint for now. But I am running out of time. Haven't done a damn thing with the boats either this winter. Anybody wanna "work for food"? I have plenty of food and plenty of work!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
And it begins. Wall cabinets down and the dry bar down. And started installing in the garage.
Today is finish the wall cabinet reinstall in the garage and put some base cabinets in along the short wall.

Attachments

• 20150411_165410.jpg
    20150411_165410.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20150411_165348.jpg
    20150411_165348.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20150411_150122.jpg
    20150411_150122.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 51

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The back door in the garage between the dry bar and the wall cabinets leads to the deck at the dock. So now I'll have storage for liquor and wine and other necessary stuff right there. The old fridge is going down there as well.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the idea of re-using the old kitchen cabinets in the garage. You don't want to see how I have my garage organized.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Today's efforts. Demo everything elder but the kitchen sink. Install what I can in the garage. I'll even have a desk in the garage! Next week week be making the rest of the counter of of the island piece.
Won't have much time. The boat is going in on Saturday and the new cabinets arrive on Thursday.

Attachments

• 20150412_160031.jpg
    20150412_160031.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20150412_155818.jpg
    20150412_155818.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20150412_155655.jpg
    20150412_155655.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 46

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
50 boxes of red cabinets came today.

Attachments

• boxes (Small).jpg
    boxes (Small).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 30
  • red (Small).jpg
    red (Small).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 30
  • kitchen (Small).jpg
    kitchen (Small).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 33

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
It was long summer, with boating and nice weather getting in the way.
Moved the plumbing, added plumbing for the island in the middle, ran a separate 100amp service up to the pantry, added another subfloor, cabinates going in.

The new sink base is great. Everything but the front is Rubbermaid plastic. Great idea. If you've had a sink leak, faucet leak, garbage disposer leak, or dishwasher connection leak, you will appreciate this new idea.

Next is installing the heated floor and slate. Then the counter tops.

The cabinet with the openings gets a built in cappuccino machine, a micro/convection, and a warming drawer. The bar opening gets a wine cooler. All the appliance are Jenn-Air except for the cappuccino machine

Also, the duct work for the hood gets hidden behind stainless trim.

Attachments

• 20160305_151016 (Medium).jpg
    20160305_151016 (Medium).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20160306_145008 (Medium).jpg
    20160306_145008 (Medium).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20160306_145026 (Medium).jpg
    20160306_145026 (Medium).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20160306_145052 (Medium).jpg
    20160306_145052 (Medium).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20160306_145100 (Medium).jpg
    20160306_145100 (Medium).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20160306_145111 (Medium).jpg
    20160306_145111 (Medium).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 23

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Holy crap Waybomb, that's a nice setup ! Someone picked the right 6 numbers or something?

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Holy crap Waybomb, that's a nice setup ! Someone picked the right 6 numbers or something?

Regardless, it's clear he hasn't been paying his fair share.:whistling:

Can't wait to see the finished product, btw.:biggrin:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys.
Wife wanted gray cabinets; I actually won that debate.

This one was a lot of work. I can't wait for the finished product either! I want some homemade polish food! And home made soup!