• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Backpack Herbicide Sprayers

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure about you guys, but I'm always finding a need to spray some herbicides around the property. Whether it be the weeds around the mailbox, grass trying to come up in the gravel drive, keeping walking paths clear in the woods, etc.

I've got a 25 Gallon tank sprayer for the tractor that works great, but its typically overkill. Rarely do I need to spray that much.

1 and 2 gallon tank sprayers are a pain in the rear, but convenient for smaller areas like the rock gardens.

This spring I purchased a 4 gallon Backpack Sprayer from Tractor Supply. Its a ROUND UP branded sprayer. It appears to be identical to the D.B.Smith 'field king' back pack sprayer. Cost was about $79. It was one of the more expensive backpack sprayers that I looked at while shopping at the big-box stores.

I've used it nearly a half dozen times this year and have to say its one of the handiest, easy to use tools I own. Holding 4 gallons give you quite a bit of capacity so you can spray the gravel drive (or most of it) without coming back to refill a small pump sprayer several times. Fully loaded it weighs about 38 pounds and if you are lifting it up to put it on from the ground it is manageable.

If you are right handed you can set it with the pump handle on the left side, or visa versa. The spray wand is on a long enough hose to allow you to reach and easily move around, but not so long that it gets snagged. It requires minimal assembly, most of which is deciding which side you want to attach the pump arm to and then attaching it.

The shoulder straps are padded nicely and there is a waist band that is also padded. The plastic back plate is contoured and shaped to fit an adult back with nothing to poke or rub into your spine. Its comfortable to carry, even when full loaded.

I've had ZERO leaks, ZERO problems, which you should expect from something purchased this season.

If you are in need of a sprayer and have been frustrated by other options, this one seems to be a good choice. There may be better. There are cheaper. There are more expensive. I'd buy this one again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 46

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a couple of the Echo 4-gal backpacks.

A couple things.
- If you're still using a hand-carry sprayer, you won't regret moving up to a backpack.
- No straps are pictured in Bob's post but on the bottom of the straps, the retaining clips that keep the hook on the bottom bar of the sprayer break off easy. Be careful with them...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump.

Bob - are you still happy with the sprayer?

One of my Echo's has really pooped out. Wand handle/valve went bad, diaphragm went bad and as already mentioned the retaining clips broke so it sucks trying to get the thing on and off your back.

leadarrows

I had one a few years ago. It did not last very long. I had to pump it too much.
I would buy a battery powered one and I wish it would do paint as well.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've got one too but I haven't used in a couple of years. I was having back problems back then and it killed me to have to tote that much weight around. I may have to break it out again and see if it still works.

Most of my spraying these days is done with a 25 gal or 55 gal sprayer on the little tractor. I will have to look into those battery powered ones though. I can remember that spraying 12 gallons of herbicide through that thing absolutely wore out my left arm. :biggrin::biggrin:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Frank I've got a dual 25 gallon tank system for the tractor, but honestly haven't used it in several years. The 4 gallon backpack gets a workout. I use it constantly. The weight is manageable for me, but at 8# a gallon, if you don't want to carry 4 gallons you can always just put in 2 or 3.