• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tractor Supply "carded" me again . . . LOST A CUSTOMER

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have not been to Tractor Supply since the infamous "John Deere Green" paint incident of June.

So today I walk into TSC again.
  • I need a can of 'starting spray' for my Jeepster.
  • I needed a tow strap to drag branches and tree trunks to the burn pile.
  • I wanted a copy of GRIT magazine.

So I walk up to the register and the lady working, about my age, is chit chatting with me, then gets around to ringing up my sale. Needs my birthday. I say I'm not even giving her my phone number, let alone my birthday, until our second date. She says she can't sell me the starting spray without my birthday, I have to prove I'm 18 or over.

Cash goes back in my wallet and I walk out the door.

May not be going back unless I can't find what I need elsewhere. :hammer:

Most of what TSC sells seems to be lower priced Chinese/Indian made and/or is available at numerous other stores in the area. Sometimes cheaper.

But the auto parts store down the street had the SAME ITEMS and charged less for them. So I bought a Starbucks with the extra money I saved and sipped it all the way home :flowers:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't understand why you put yourself through this MD, you're blood pressure's going to go through the roof. Just give her my birth date and call it good. Jeeze...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't understand why you put yourself through this MD, you're blood pressure's going to go through the roof. Just give her my birth date and call it good. Jeeze...

NOPE, I won't even turn YOU in to the data whores :hammer:

Companies are taking all sorts of data from customers. Tracking what we buy with their loyalty programs. Asking for phone numbers if the sale is over a specific $ amount. Targeting their marketing by using our zip codes.

I go in, I pay cash, I give them no information. I don't need any more junk mail in my mailbox. I don't want phone calls. I don't want emails from them. I don't want my data sold so other companies can solicit me.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Their marketing data is only as good as what you give them so pick out a # and use it. I like XXX-867-5309 where X = your area code. As for zip codes, they use them to determine if a new store (or an addition to the existing store) is in order. This sort of thing is in your benefit too you know. Not likely they will track you to well with only a zip code.

And you can't blame them for asking your birthdate when selling items that will get them in trouble if abused. It's the attorney's that are the problem, get mad at them. Once again, pick a birthday and feed it to them. They're only covering their asses.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I get a postcard in the mail from TS giving me a coupon for $25.00 off per ton of wood pellets. So next time I am driving buy I stop in and ask what my final price will be. $225.00 they say. What? They jack the price up to $250 then give a coupon. Sorry I say, the guy in town will deliver for $220. See ya. Screw TS.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We have a local guy who handles and has in stock most any part for tractors and haying equipment. He handles vet type stuff for dairy farmers and has fencing supplies etc. and is only 5 miles away. I do very little business with TSC anymore as they seem to have shifted to yuppie type products and most of the time don't have things in stock. I do have myself registered at all three local ones for tax emeption but seldom go in there.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I used to get aggravated by stores wanting personal info. It started years ago at Radio Shack. I carry cash so I just make make up names addresses and phone #s. I figure I'm helping to clog up data bases in my own small way with useless info.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess I'm getting a bit crusty about all this info demanded at places like Lowes, Home Depot, Autozone, TSC, Rural King, etc. I used to give them the phone number for 'time and temperature', but I don't even do that now. I now simply ask if that is mandatory for them to sell me the item(s). If it is, I now just leave everything on the counter and walk out without another word and shop elsewhere.

If I'm buying something and they want my email, that too is a deal breaker. I'd venture to say that 9 out of every 10 emails I get is from someplace I've purchased something from in the past. Their email are responded to with the most possible amount of insulting and vulgar rudeness I can muster.

My wife was in the car with me when, even though every phone number I own is on our state's 'do not call' list, I received a sales call on my cell phone. I bluntly told them that they called me on my cell phone and to never call me again. The guy acted as if he never heard me and tried to continue to setup a sales visit for something (Knives or something). That is when I unleashed a vile stream of vulgar profanities at him. He told me he did not have to put up with such language and abuse. Using as many swear words as possible I assured him that as long as he called me on my cell phone he most certainly would. I then asked to be connected to his supervisor so I could continue. As a dumbass would, I shortly had his supervisor and I not only unleashed the most abusive and foul rant I could at him but I also questioned his sexuality and inferred hat he was probably yanking his crank (using vulgar terms) right now. He finally told me that they wouldn't sell me anything and would remove me from heir preferred list. Duh!

My attorney thought that was funny so the next time I went to the drug store I collected every single flier out of every magazine I could (including the X-rated ones) and signed him up for everything free that I could. He should be receiving his first Gay Pride magazine about now along with a free 'pocket pussy' for accepting a free 3 month trial to some smut magazine. Hope he enjoys all that he gets!