• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bought my dog a wheelchair ... not sure it will work but worth a try?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry that you and Misha are going thru this. You have done the best a person could do for her.
I'm sad for you.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, of course the vet is closed, and Misha now has developed a bladder infection. So she is very uncomfortable and needs to constantly urinate. And she is urinating blood.

So her last night alive she will likely be somewhat miserable, which sucks!

I do have, and did give her a double dose of some strong antibiotics that the vet had previously prescribed for this exact problem. Its just that I don't know how quickly it will kick in. She got the meds about 2:30 this afternoon. Hopefully very quick. She has had this issue numerous times before, which is why I have the meds. Its caused by the fact that she sleeps on disposable mats because she 'leaks' at when she naps and the bladder infections is aided by the fact that she is diabetic because the infections tend to grow rapidly in a high sugar bloodstream.

We've seen these infections several times. They come on with virtually no warning. One day all seems fine. A few hours later she is urinating blood!

She just flooded the patio about 15 minutes ago with a blood/urine mix, then she pooped. Now she seems to be sitting comfortable next to my rocking chair. So maybe, just maybe the double-dose of antibiotics are starting to kick in? I'd hate for her to have a totally miserable last night on this earth.

Not looking forward to tomorrow's appointment, but was hoping to spoil her with love during the last evening & morning she has with us.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, will the vet consider a home visit? Mine did and it was so much easier on him and us, being where "everyone" was comfortable.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I'm happy to report that she is far more comfortable. The whining/crying is virtually stopped. Apparently the antibiotics are already working :smile: Its been about 4 hours since I gave them to her and she has now had about 30-40 fairly comfortable minutes, drank some water, seems to be enjoying sitting next to me outside on the patio. So at this point I am hopeful that she will have a decent evening/night/morning.

Bob, will the vet consider a home visit? Mine did and it was so much easier on him and us, being where "everyone" was comfortable.

Not this vet, he is on the other side of our county and small animal only.

Our prior vet, also a good deal away, had a big animal practice and she would drive out to the surrounding farms, so it wouldn't be an issue for her to come here, but we haven't used her services in 2 years.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, of course the vet is closed, and Misha now has developed a bladder infection. So she is very uncomfortable and needs to constantly urinate. And she is urinating blood.

So her last night alive she will likely be somewhat miserable, which sucks!

I do have, and did give her a double dose of some strong antibiotics that the vet had previously prescribed for this exact problem. Its just that I don't know how quickly it will kick in. She got the meds about 2:30 this afternoon. Hopefully very quick. She has had this issue numerous times before, which is why I have the meds. Its caused by the fact that she sleeps on disposable mats because she 'leaks' at when she naps and the bladder infections is aided by the fact that she is diabetic because the infections tend to grow rapidly in a high sugar bloodstream.

We've seen these infections several times. They come on with virtually no warning. One day all seems fine. A few hours later she is urinating blood!

She just flooded the patio about 15 minutes ago with a blood/urine mix, then she pooped. Now she seems to be sitting comfortable next to my rocking chair. So maybe, just maybe the double-dose of antibiotics are starting to kick in? I'd hate for her to have a totally miserable last night on this earth.

Not looking forward to tomorrow's appointment, but was hoping to spoil her with love during the last evening & morning she has with us.
that's a shame I remember when I could see the time was near for my old lab mix. I hate to see some one go through that they are really like children, the exception being much more eager to please than a teen. my old dog died trying to play and be my buddy up to the end. I firmly believe had one of my daughters not brought Boss dog home to take his place he would have stuck around a little longer so I would not have been with out my big dog.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another hour has passed and she definitely seems to be more comfortable. She and I are still outside. She's now sitting in the grass next to the patio. She is still urinating blood. But its not a constant leak. Nor is it an every-5-minute urge to go. She drank another bowl of water. Had a good urination stream when she needed to be moved, still quite a bit of blood, but didn't seem to have any discomfort or grief.

Now even more hopeful that she will have a peaceful night.

No interest in food or treats.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope she continues to have a comfortable evening.

Give her a hug from me.

Jim

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well she woke me up at 11:30, needed to go outside to do her business. She did urinate blood again. Drank water and urinated normally so it flushed the blood through?

About 1am she was hungry so I gave her some food. Urinated a little more with some blood, but she didn't have the urgent need and seemed comfortable.

About 2:30am I gave her another dose of antibiotics (roughly 12 hours after the dose I gave her this afternoon). When the earlier dose kicked in she became much more comfortable. My goal is to keep her as comfortable as possible.

Now its almost 3:30am and she is outside laying in the grass.

I'm getting pretty tired, I hope she goes back to sleep soon. She's been up the whole time. Had some snacks, dozed for a little while (maybe 15 or 20 minutes?) but she never actually fell back to sleep.

In between all that she had some snacks, got some ear rubs, and generally just seemed to like having me laying on the floor next to her.

She is not uncomfortable. Just not sleeping!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sorry to hear about her troubles. I can't offer any advice but you (both) have my heartfelt sympathy.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, you did everything you could to make her last day comfortable.

Jim

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
It hurts like nothing else. My sympathies and thoughts. Just went through this X 2

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that Bob. But she no longer will feel any pain and can use her legs again. I know it's hard, been through it several times.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, that's probably the hardest decision you will ever have to make in your life. Console yourself with the fact that Misha is pain free and in a good place.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know were your at Bob...

Tough day. More to come. Eventually with some time, it will become less painful, as life takes the center stage once again.. The both of you enjoyed her life with your family. She was truly a very lucky dog to have had you for her master. If she could, I am sure she would tell you so...

There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of my husky dog, Shilo. But I also know that there was nothing in his future but pain and suffering, from a problem that can not be fixed.. And there is that tough choice again..

Sorry for your loss. Dogs are a mirracle from heaven I believe. To connect with one and live with them is truly a wonderful thing..

Best regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just want to say THANK YOU to everyone.

This was a pretty tough weekend. Saturday was total crap. After we left the vet's office we stopped off at Walmart to buy a rake ... a lady bashed in the rear side door of my Touareg while she was backing out of a parking space. So yea me. Just the icing on the crap cake.

On the bright side the lovely Mrs_Bob wants to adopt a pair of Akitas from the Midwest Akita Rescue Society as soon as we return home from our hike across Spain. So in August we hope to have some new companions in our home.

M.A.R.S. has some bonded pairs in foster care now, not sure that either pair would be available when we come back, but we would gladly adopt what they have when we return: http://www.akitas.org/index.html