• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Your health Don?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
OkeeDon said:
I never got a chance to serve; the draft board doctor found my lungs were in too bad shape, and I was declared unfit.

Don, I seem to remember a while back you mentioned on the other site that you had cardiac issues. I don't recall anything after that, and I was just wondering how you are doing? With the stress of building a house, caring for your MIL and a constant barrage of hurricanes, it's gotta be putting additional strain on the ol' ticker.

:tiphat:

OkeeDon

Thanks for asking. Well, I'm still around, mores the pity, some would say...it was a year ago August 1 that I came home from the hospital with a vastly changed life. What put me in the hospital was Ventricular Tachycardia (V-Tac); most people don't wake up from that. I now have an implanted defibrillator to prevent V-Tac from knocking me out again.

In some ways I'm better off than OhioTC18; in some ways not. He's going through one heck of a lot of pain and suffering right now, but in the long run, he'll end up better. I have the same things, blocked arteries and all that, but in my case, I also have severe heart damage that eliminates any chance of open heart surgery like Jerry just had. My heart has about 17% function (they call it "ejection fraction"); normal is in the 60's, a transplant is called for at 14.

It will never get any better. Damage to the heart muscle cannot be repaired nor will it "grow back" or get stronger. When it's damaged, it's dead. Since they can't do any surgersy, my arteries will also not get any better. They're 90% blocked; they'll pretty much stay that way.

What I have to do is prevent things from getting any worse. I was a smoker; obviously, I gave that up completely. I watch my diet very closely. One of the greatest dangers for me is fluid build-up; I watch my sodium intake and take a couple of different water pills. I take Crestor for the cholesterol and watch the cholesterol levels of what I eat. I'm trying to keep my weight down, but I don't get as much exercise, and that makes it tough. I take a beta blocker cardiac medicine, Coreg, which seems to be letting me get stronger. I was taking an ACE inhibitor, Lisiniprol, but it was making me cough, and they took me off that and doubled my Coreg.

A year ago, I couldn't drive; I couldn't walk across the house without getting dizzy; the defibrillator went off twice in a week (THAT's scary; it's like the paddles on TV, but nobody yells "clear!"). But, I've been pacing myself. A few months ago, I started walking through Walmart again, instead of taking the electric cart. I can drive all day, and I can use my tractor all day as long as I take some fairly long breaks. The FEL has become my best friend; I use it to lift, to move, to carry, I've gotten expert at picking up all kinds of things without climbing out of the seat.

I still have to remind folks to walk at my pace. If I take it easy, I can walk several blocks. We're thinking about taking a cruise; a few months ago I thought the only way I'd do that is in awheelchair. I did get a trailer to go with the new RV we're getting, so I can take my golf cart with me. I've figured out there's room in there for a couple of 49cc scooters, also.

The neat thing about all this is that I have a much easier time justifying all the toys than they rest of you guys. The tractor and FEL became invaluable, I just got a post hole digger for it and will be getting even more implements for it; the golf cart is neat; the scooters will be a blast; etc. etc.

We still have my Mother-in-law; she turned 101 last August. She's still physically better than anyone in the family; no health problems and no prescription meds. She is nearly blind, and her demential is more and more obvious. She's wheel-chair bound ever since she broke her ankle and her bones were too brittle to pin it. She was a shrew in her "normal" life and she is a mean old lady who knows how to push everyone's buttons. Fortunately, we also now have a full-time caregiver who will work flexible hours; mostly days, but some evenings, and she'll stay here 24/7 when we need to get away.

The hurricanes were/are no fun. But, we fared better this year than last, mainly because everthing was new after last year, and stood up to the winds better. We also got power back in 4 days instead of the 14 we were out last year, and because we switched from cable, we had satellite tv and phone-based internet the whole time (running on a generator). Last year, Betsy had to bring in all the porch furniture, etc. herself. This year, I was able to help a little, especially running the extension cords, etc.

So, there you are. More detail than anyone wanted. But, I wanted to make it clear that I'm thrilled to be alive. Things are looking up every day. I no longer compare myself to the guy from last July; that guy is dead. But, I'm a whole lot better now than the guy from last August, and I'm grateful. Realistically, my heart is working harder than most to keep me alive, and it isn't going to last. My life expectancy is less than it would otherwise be. There was a 30% chance that I would die the first year. The longer I go, because there can be no improvement, the more the odds are against me. I accept that, and I accept the fact that I'm somewhat limited. I still have a lot to be thankful for. Life is good.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow Don, you're a tuff ole bird. :tiphat: I know quite well what you are talking about because my grandfather had similar issues. I just came back in from visiting my grandmother and noticed that her doctor just put her on the same drug, lasix (sp?), that my grandfather had been on for water retention. My grandfather also had the pace maker / defibrillator. My grandfather's health turned for the worse when he was 88. He did have open heart surgery then and the pace maker / defibrillator was installed then. He continued to live rather normally for someone his age until he was around 95. He passed away earlier this year at 96.

He never lost any of his mental capacity at any time and was just as lucid and aware of things the night before he passed away as I am today. He was able to continue to drive up until about a month before he passed away, and then he simply handed my father his car keys and said that he just felt as though he shouldn't drive anymore. My point is, he knew when. The night before he passed away he gave me a speech about making sure that none of my kids ever take up smoking like he did for 30 years (I have never smoked). He firmly believed that he would not have been in poor health in his mid 90's if he had not smoked for 30 years. His heart output stayed in the 20 something percent range for nearly 6 years. I think he knew exactly what was going on with his health the night before he passed away. Besides making the comments to me about making sure my kids didn't take up smoking, he also told me that if modern medicine was just 10 years ahead of what it is now, he would have more than a day or so to live. (That floored all of us. My grandfather never spoke about giving up and always said that he'd know when it was time.) He passed in his sleep and his defibrillator never fired as we all feared it would. (We had been warned about that it would fire over and over until it's battery could no longer build up a charge. His only went off once, and that was several years ago. He likened it to the time he was kicked in the chest by a cranky horse) I can only hope to go that way; in my sleep, when I know it is time, and in my own bed. He had asked at dinner the night before to be taken into the cardio dr. to have the defib part turned off.

Anyway, I'm sorry to go off on something like my grandfather's health, but he meant quite a bit to me. My reason for bringing it up is two fold; first, you have obviously not lost any of your mental capacities (if you have, I would not have wanted to argue with you prior ;) ), and you also seem very well aware of your physical abilities and limitations. You are going through this at what my grandfather mentioned is the 10 years of additional medical advancement from when he began having serious heart issues. In other words, it seems as if you are going through what he did 10 years ago, except with the benefit of medical technology being 10 years advanced. If that makes any sense, you "know" what is going on with your own body as well as any physician, and you will know when. Your statement about all of your plans tells me that the "when" is no time soon. That is great to hear. Here is to your continued quality of life you now still have with the wish for many years yet to come. :beer:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, what Dargo said! Good post Dargo. Keep on Keeping on Don. Sounds like you are handling the situation in the best way possible. Good job! And best of luck to you!

OkeeDon

The really hilarious part of all this is that when I talk about it, I sound as if I know what I'm talking about. All I'm really doing is parroting the Docs. My knowledge of the human body is along the lines of, "I know the ankle bone is connected to the neck bone, but I don't know how..." Betsy was the biology major and had to take extensive anatomy courses to become a PT; I remember helping her study for anatomy exams (no, you idiots, not that way; it was back in '62 and we were a lot more innocent) and I had all I could do to recognize the words when they were written in front of me.

I should have recognized the signs a lot sooner; my Mother died of congesitive heart failure, and my Father died at age 47 when he fainted and fell off a ladder and fractured his head on a log. Chances are he fainted for the same reason I did; I was just lucky enough to wake up. The undertaker said his arteries were massively clogged. I never thought I had heart problems, mostly because I never had high blood pressure. They've done such a good job of making us afraid of high blood pressure that I thought I was home free with my low pressure.

Medical science has improved and will improve, but I don't know how it will benefit me. Other than the Coreg and monitoring my fluid level, there is absolutely nothing they can do. I see the cardiologist every 3 months nowadays (it was every month in the early days), and I poke my ankles and calves a lot to see if there is any fluid buildup. But, basically, it's up to me. I will say that I don't expect to ever see 90. I have bad days, and even bad moments, when I suddenly get dizzy just walking across a room. Looking up, like changing a ceiling light bulb, is a definite no-no. When I go to bed at night, I have to lay flat on my back until things calm down, and I can feel strange palpitations from my heart working so hard.

I'll be thankful for another day; grateful for another month; bubbling happy for another year; and ecstatic for every month beyond that. I'll keep making plans, regardless. Martin Luther said, "If I knew today that the world would end tomorrow, yet would I plant an apple tree today."

If you want more toys without a hassle, I recommend a life-threatening health situation. Betsy and I are going over to the Sarasota area tomorrow to look at several versions of the Sprinter RV other than RoadTrek; if my conclusions based on paper research are correct, we will be coming back to put a deposit on the first RoadTrek Sprinter to be delivered in Florida, as far as I know. The Sarasota dealer represents 7 manufacturers who make Sprinter-based RVs; all of them except RoadTrek. We expected to see the RoadTrek by the end of October; we now find they will be delayed a couple of weeks or so because the FEMA trailers going to New Orleans are drying up the supply of AC units. I'm willing to wait so those folks can have a home of sorts...

v8dave

Wizard
Good going Don! I really believe that life is 99% what you decide on. You have clearly decided your path. Some of my wife's family just signed off after a spouse passed on, unfortunately it was obvious to all of us on the outside. To decide to live is just that.

By-the-way, it wasn't until I was in my 50's that I found out not everybody got dizzy when they got up from working head down. I have low blood pressure and a low pulse rate. Been that way all my life, I used to have to say to nurses after taking my first blood pressure reading, "that's normal," to keep them from trying a second time. So, your "working overhead" is something I have to give thought about doing before taking it on--all my life. I just have to ease my body into doing it. The good news is family history and all the tests show I'm ok and that's just normal for me--one of the benefits :confused: of low blood pressure and heart rate. . .hmmm. :whistle:

Keep us posted on the Sprinter. Let us know where you wander, I'm almost never home and I just may be on the way during one of your trips.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
It's great to see you have such a positive outlook on life, Don. It's good for a young pup like myself to have people like you to look up to. I enjoy all of your posts, especially the debates where you post the same things I am thinking:whistle: .

Lawrence

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
Fantastic news Don. Posts like these in this thread makes one think of what one might have or have not. It is very humbling.

Best of luck to you and your family.

OkeeDon

Guys, I don't deserve the applause. It's pretty simple to play the cards you're dealt. Start with the premise that when I fainted last year, I didn't wake up (most folks don't, with V-Tac). Those cards would have been pretty easy to play; I would have been dead.

Next, look at the other extreme. I want to live a little longer. I still have a lot of dirt to move. If I flaunt the rules of medicine, it will kill me. That's still a real easy choice to make.

So, no credit goes to me. I'm just playing the cards as they are dealt.