• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Extreme angle snow grooming

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't try this at home ! I would not want to be any where Close if the cable failed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 259

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yikes!!!

At Copper Point at Bessemer Michigan, they had a winch cat at the top, started backing down the hill, and the anchor they attached the cable to pulled out of the frozen ground. :ermm:

3 men in the cab, all with eyes big as dinner plates as they watched the anchor pull free. :w00t2:Those at the top saw them disappear from view as they slid the machine back wards down the face of the ski jump hill.

Fortunately the machine came to a stop about half way down.

Lots of dirty under ware in that cab... :whistling:

Regards, Kirk

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Must have a modified oil pan for sure at that angle the oil would be on one end or the other based on up or down orientation.

akmountaineer

I'd settle for the Tahoe resorts just to groom the regular old black diamonds. It seems like they all cheap out when it comes to winch cats despite record numbers of people on the slopes.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Must have a modified oil pan for sure at that angle the oil would be on one end or the other based on up or down orientation.

I wonder if they don't have to go to a dry sump system with pickups on each end of the pan. I don't see any other way to keep oil in a conventional pan, even if baffled heavily..

Older Cat dozers had a pan with a sump on either end, and a pick up tube in each. But I don't think even that would be good enough..

Regards, Kirk

The photo is apparently at Whistler-Blackcomb. It is grossly exaggerated by a combination of camera tilt,pixel aspect (photos from phones are often compressed in the x-axis) and location of the photographer ( photographs taken quarter on to the slope will preserve the vertical componet but shorten the horizontal component)

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The photo is apparently at Whistler-Blackcomb. It is grossly exaggerated by a combination of camera tilt,pixel aspect (photos from phones are often compressed in the x-axis) and location of the photographer ( photographs taken quarter on to the slope will preserve the vertical componet but shorten the horizontal component)

Why do you think the photo is from whistler ?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm thinking the ground pressure is pretty low at that angle. Better rev up the tiller !

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Ya and be tilling in the reverse mode !!! It doesn't make sense grooming those type of slopes ,expert or freestyle only ,let them handle the bumps.My friend Floyd was one of the originators of Freestyle skiing along with Wayne Wong ,and George Askervold. Floyd went to Whistler and taught every summer.