• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lets do some more hooks.......................

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Okay, back to some tractor stuff.:a1: I'm tired of wrapping my transport chains around the front axle. What I'm thinking of doing is weld some grabhooks on my grillgaurd, where it is bolted to the frame. Looks like it's about 1/4" plate, so I feel it'll be strong enough. The question is, should I replace the bolts, 4 on each side, with grade 8? I'm not sure what grade they are right now. I'm not afraid of my welding ability, just the bolts. :tiphat: :beer:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why not just weld hooks to the bucket and run your chain to the bucket hooks?

Or, why not get axle hooks on the end of your chains? I have large hooks that slip over my tractor axles, it makes it really easy to tie down the tractor. Got them at AWDirect.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a pic of a really cool chain transport box someone on tbn made. It was mounted on the FEL's rear frame. I can't find the pic now, but I'll keep looking. Hopefully I'll find it later today, or on my work computer tomorrow.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob; Are those the large "J" hooks? That would work very nice.:coolshade

Doc; By all means, I seem to remember that too. Another idea to spend a little time practicing my welding.:coolshade

Thanks guys. One more question. I know Gr8 bolts are more brittle than say Gr6. What grade would be the best for this application, or any other similar use?:confused: :17875:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Might you be better off welding the hooks to the frame, personally I would want the tractor tied down, rather than a guard that is attached to the tractor tied down.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DOT requires chains to the tractor as well as any attachments. You're not supposed to connect to the FEL only.

John,

Do you have a bracket on the front of your tractor for hanging weights? If so, that's a great point to connect chains. If not, there's probably a place for one and you could either purchase or make a bracket or hooks or whatever and use that as your connection point.

Brian

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
John, the hook I have from AWDirect look like a large J. They are designed to slip over your axle and hold the tractor,car,etc. It is a lot easier than wrapping chain around the axle.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, Brian, and Jim; I ordered a couple Jhooks and double clevis's from AW. I've got a bunch of weldon grabhooks, but the Jhooks would be a lot easier to use. Besides, welding on the frame is overhead, and I just HATE overhead and verticle up! Thanks for the help guys.:tiphat: :coolshade :a1:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I just HATE overhead and verticle up
You and me both John ;) Tends to get a bit hairy with the old cherrys flying off onto your head :D Sorry, excuse the pun :(

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh boy!! It sure does!! I've had problems with those 2 positions since I started welding.:smileywac I told my instructor I hated it too. He came back with that it was easier to weld up and overhead, than it was to move the building!! He was right to a point, he just didn't know that I had a tractor with a loader.:4_11_9:

Hey, I like the addition to your sig encyclopedia!:drink: :beer:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
To be honest Ive yet to come across anything that couldnt be rolled over to be welded, tractors included. Fortunately my house is made of bricks so I doubt I'll be needing to weld it back together ;) I'd rather get the crane out than risk setting my hair on fire trying to weld on my back laying down in the dirt, hey, maybe IU should get someone else to do it, John, wanna come do some welding? :D
Instructor??? Tsh! No kidding here, my MUM is better qualified at welding than me! Doesnt mean shes better than me though ;) Like to see her weld aluminium, now that TIG is haaarrdd (and hot, burns through the gloves :eek:)

Hey, now you gotta think of a new sig, maybe we should start a new thread, 'The many signatures of Mith and John' :D

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
[

Hey, now you gotta think of a new sig, maybe we should start a new thread, 'The many signatures of Mith and John' :D[/QUOTE]
Man you got that right about the heat! My jacket would right up on my left arm and expose some skin that my gloves wouldn't cover. Kept getting flash burns on the inside forearm. I sorta like TIG, it wasn't that difficult to pickup, but haven't done any since I graduated. Stick is what I really needed to learn, and it seems I learn more every time I burn two pieces together. I really like 7018 rod, though mostly I use 6010, then cap with 7018 if I have any. At the plant, I've got the best weldors you could imagine. And if I take my stuff in there to weldup, I've got an endless supply of 7018, and some Cadillacs of welding machines. We've got a couple of Miller XMT 304's I'd almost kill for!:coolshade :thewave:

I'm workin' on a new sig, but the old brainpan just isn't producin' for some reason!:confused:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Ya have to wear the special gloves for TIG dont you, get a good tan though, I was trying to build up my weldors tan but the grease already on my hands stopped it from happening :(
I like arc too, cant beat a good ole 6010 and loadsa amps to get the rust to fuse together :D Never used any other rod to be honest. I guees ya got all the pipe welding geezers at the plant, showoffs, like to see them weld with their heads up their asses ;) :D :eek:

Just have a few :beer: and it will come to you ;)

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
That may work!! I'm gonna buy some good Scotch one of these days, Johnny Walker Blue Label, $200 a fifth. That's my retirement gift to myself. WAHOO!:beer: :tiphat:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh man!!:coolshade Just got my new hooks and double clevis for my transport chains!! And just look at the valuable free gift from AW Direct!:a1: That little rollerback model made it all worth the wait!!!:coolshade :cool: :beer: :beer:

Attachments

• Pic465 (Small) (Custom).JPG
    Pic465 (Small) (Custom).JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Pic463 (Small) (Custom).JPG
    Pic463 (Small) (Custom).JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 31

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't get a truck. I got a potato chip bag clip thingy!

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob; The first time I ordered I got a magnetic clip thing.:whistle: Now Dargo really hit the jackpot! He got a dog chewy toy!!:boobies: Wonder if he or the dog have it.:rofl1: :boobies:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
John, man, that little truck made me laugh out loud, still chuckling :rofl1:
Man, I'm so simple :D

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah, the first thing I did was look for my prize for ordering!:boobies:

I get accused of being simple almost every day. I just tell them that's how I tolerate them!:coolshade :beer:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey, its just lowing yorself to their level ;) I have to do it all the time round here :rofl1:

So where do I order?

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Just lookup AW Direct. They're pretty much setup for towtrucks, but there's alot of neat stuff in there. :a1: Man, you order from them and the shipping will likely kill you!:whistle: :beer:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Junk; Thanks. Obviously I didn't know that. :eek: Thanks for the site too. :tiphat: Interesting, but yes, more than I needed.:beer: :rofl1: