• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A whatsit

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Wife saw this on facebook and I don't have a clue what it is. Anyone here know??
Mike

Attachments

• .facebook_1526068995863.jpg
    .facebook_1526068995863.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 129

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
It's for grabbing a round thing that's hot (but doesn't weight much) when you can't find pliers. LOL

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's for grabbing a round thing that's hot (but doesn't weight much) when you can't find pliers. LOL

I think it is actually some sort of fire starter/wick that clamps onto something. For some reason it looks sort of familiar but I can't remember why!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Same here.
I know I've seen one of those before.
Just asked my son if he knows what it is.
Nope. :hammer: lol

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I think it is actually some sort of fire starter/wick that clamps onto something. For some reason it looks sort of familiar but I can't remember why!

I think you're correct Bob, like for a camping stove or lantern?
I have Googled every description and am getting nothing. :yum:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I see now that the wick is in cups. So it would be a preheater for a tube that was later lit ??
Maybe an old pipe thaw-er ?? :)

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
One of the quite knowledgeable guys on welding web said it's a heat sink/flame block for soldering copper pipe joints close to an adjacent joint/stud etc. Makes sense to me.
Mike

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
One of the quite knowledgeable guys on welding web said it's a heat sink/flame block for soldering copper pipe joints close to an adjacent joint/stud etc. Makes sense to me.
Mike

Oh thank God!
It's been driving me nuts!
:yum:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike

Sounds good to me too!

thepooguy

I posted it on the treasurenet web site under the "what is it" forum. these guys will figure it out. its a really fun site to watch. all metal detecting finds and 99.9 success rate at figuring things out. one there has guessed it as a test tube holder. does the other side look the same?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Mike

Makes sense to me too. Good job!!!!

I was thinking along those lines but I couldn't figure out a practical use for it. Now I can. Thank you.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Mike

Well, there you go. Makes sense to me, but........that damn well better not be asbestos rope or we have a whole new set of problems here. Asbestos mitigation is no joke and quite time consuming. :yum:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
they nailed it over at treasurenet. its a wick for a tilley lamp/heater.

I always thought a tilley lantern was the British version of our Coleman camp lantern. Pressurized kerosene with a mantle or hollow wick???

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
they nailed it over at treasurenet. its a wick for a tilley lamp/heater.

I'd sure like to see it in action. Looks like a coleman style mantel in the top so I'm baffled as to how the wick works with the mantel.
Mike

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
OK, that's one here and two others on another forum saying it's the preheater for a Tilley lamp, so I guess we'll go with that. Thanks, pooguy!!
Mike