Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Computers, Cell Phones & Electronics Forum

Old 09-03-2015, 06:39 AM
Gold Member

Thanked 4,553 Times in 2,191 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66
Default Re: Replacement cell phone

I've been researching online as to the difference between the android systems on the s3 vs the s5/6. There aren't a whole lot of differences that I can see. Speed seems to be about the same as well. So I opted for another new battery on my s3. This time I managed to find a more powerful one. The s3 comes stock with a 2100 mAh battery. I found a 2900 mAh battery online which I ordered. I figured I'd give that a chance before deciding on a new phone.
I can say I do like the look of the s5 active.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221777184739

Last edited by NorthernRedneck; 09-03-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:22 AM
Forum Admin

Thanked 12,831 Times in 5,227 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

Speaking of battery life and general use of your smart phone, here are a few tips I ran into. Some are minor BS, but there is an interesting one about charging and draining your battery.

Tips for taking care of your iPhone or any smart phone.

If you're anything like us, your smartphone is your precious baby. Unfortunately, you probably don't treat it as well as you should. Here are some things you might be doing wrong:

1. Never turning it off

You really should be turning your phone off at least once a week, or your battery will die faster than it should. Leaving it on and idle stresses the battery, experts say. If you, like us, use your phone as your alarm clock, consider picking up a cheap (or fancy -- why not?) alarm clock, or turning it off for another period of time during the day.

2. Leaving the WiFi and Bluetooth on all the time

When your iPhone has WiFi and Bluetooth enabled and isn't using one or both, it's just wasting energy. As you wander around in your daily life, you're not likely to need or want WiFi or Bluetooth all the time. Better to leave both off and just turn them on when you need them.

3. Using it outside in extreme weather

Your iPhone isn't meant to withstand super hot or super cold temperatures, and using it outside on a day that's under 32 degrees or above 95 degrees Fahrenheit isn't recommended. This could drain the battery or cause your device to shut down temporarily. If you know you'll be out in extreme weather, try keeping your iPhone off or at least in your pocket, away from the elements.

4. Leaving it plugged in overnight

Letting your iPhone charge while you sleep might be convenient, but some say it's not a good idea. There has been much debate regarding the issue, but many argue that keeping your iPhone plugged in after it's already fully charged can damage your battery over time, and it could start dying more quickly. "Your battery will behave the best if you take it off the charge before it hits 100 percent, and leaving it plugged when it's already full is going to cause a little degradation," Gizmodo wrote last year. Try charging it during the day so you can unplug it once it's fully charged, or using an outlet that shuts off via a timer.

5. Fully charging or fully draining the battery

Lithium-ion batteries -- which are used in iPhones -- work best when powered between 50 and 80 percent, Shane Broesky, founder of Farbe Technik, a company that makes charging accessories, told Digital Trends. Fully discharging your battery, on the other hand, could also allow your battery to fall into a "deep discharge state," which makes the ions incapable of holding a charge, Apple noted. Topping up your battery in short spurts give the battery's ions just enough energy to work continuously and protect your battery life, he added. In other words, think about charging your phone the way you do about eating and snacking throughout the day.

6. Using a non-Apple charger

Apple chargers might be expensive, but they're worth the investment. Using off-brand chargers can do damage to your phone, and fake chargers have been reported to cause fires and explosions. Apple has even created a USB Power Adapter Takeback Program, in which it asks people to hand over counterfeit chargers, and, as of last August, offered people who brought in their non-Apple chargers a discount on a real Apple charger.

7. Not cleaning it

Your iPhone is disgusting. Like, really disgusting. Toilet seats and pet food dishes contain fewer germs per square inch than your iPhone. Apple recommends that you use "a soft, lint-free cloth" to clean your device. There are also products that claim to use UV lights to sanitize your phone. But don't forget to clean your phone's charging port! Debris from pockets and purses can get stuck in there and build up over time, which may cause connection problems when you plug something into that port. Use a toothpick, small needle or even the back of an earring to scrape all that grossness out.

8. Walking around absentmindedly while holding it

Whether or not you realize it, iPhones are a hot commodity on the black market and are a huge target for thieves. Around 40 percent of the robberies in major cities in 2013 involved mobile devices, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission reported last year -- so it's actually pretty dangerous to walk around carelessly with your iPhone out.

9. Not protecting yourself with a passcode

Half of iPhone users do not lock their phones, Apple reported in 2013. If you don't have a passcode on your iPhone and it's stolen, your identity and personal information are completely open and available for the thief to grab. It's a simple way to protect your privacy.

10. Allowing location services on all your apps, all the time

Apps like Uber and Maps need access to your "location services" to work properly, and they'll tell you when they need you to turn on that feature. Others can function just fine with location services turned off. Head over to Settings > Privacy > Location Services to deactivate the feature or simply switch it off for all your non-essential apps. Your battery will thank you.

11. Enabling push notifications on every single app

Push notifications effectively keep your phone on high alert and require a constant data connection, which can exhaust your battery. Your display also lights up every time your phone receives a notification, guzzling up more battery life. Researchers have even found that notifications can destroy your focus. Go to Settings > Notifications and select only the important apps.

Other Fun Forums:

Weekend Mudders + Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
Old 09-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Gold Member

Another tip would be to make sure you have the most up-to-date software version. I decided to check mine and found it was out of date. I did the upgrade and now have much better battery life. I had 24% battery this morning when I got up. Charged it to 96% in an hour. After 4 hours its only down to 75%
Old 11-23-2015, 11:41 PM
Gold Member

I figured I'd revisit this topic since my s3 has pissed me off for the last time. I had changed the battery for the third time. It was at 50%last night. I plugged it in overnight and woke up to find it took 6 hours to fully charge. I unplugged it at 6 am. By 8:30am it was down to 26% and half the time when I plug it in it either won't charge or it starts turning on and off. I decided to look on kijiji and found an s5 for only $200 and only a couple months old. I'm going to get it in the morning.

I like some of the features it has. Apparently it's water proof.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
TiredRetired (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Forum Admin

Thanked 12,831 Times in 5,227 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a deal. $200 with no contract, free to go anywhere for service it a good way to be. Waterproof would be good. Waterproof and floats would be GREAT.

Other Fun Forums:

Weekend Mudders + Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:
NorthernRedneck (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 10:51 AM
The Old Salt

Thanked 9,487 Times in 3,726 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about

About a month ago or so I sold my old phone on eBay and got a new Galaxy S6 with the Neo Hybrid case. Hated to spend the money, but what the hell, can;t take it with you I guess. This phone rocks!!! I love it and battery life is incredible. The heart rate monitor works good and I use it whenever I am out walking. Pretty cool phone all in all. :big grin: All the young folks stare at it when I am using it wondering how an old fart like me has figured out how to use a phone like that.
Doc  (11-24-2015), EastTexFrank (12-05-2015), NorthernRedneck (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Gold Member

Loving the s5 so far. It's fast and smooth. I like the waterproof feature. This will come in handy at camp. At $700+ for a new one I didn't mind spending $200 on one only a couple months old. This way I keep my same service plan.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Sounds like a deal. $200 with no contract, free to go anywhere for service it a good way to be. Waterproof would be good. Waterproof and floats would be GREAT.
I could have had the phone unlocked but why bother since it was already with my service provider. All I did was put in my Sim card and I was good to go. Transferred all my contacts as well. Only took a few minutes to reinstall all the apps I had before.

Doc  (11-24-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 08:19 AM
Gold Member

Have I mentioned how much I love the Samsung galaxy s5? It's extremely smooth and fast compared to the s3. I can only imagine how fast the s6 is. I have all the same apps installed on this phone and it's night and day compared to the s3. Battery life is good too. I left it last night unplugged at 69% this morning it was at 64% I plugged it in at 7am and it was fully charged at 8. Haven't tried the waterproof feature yet.

TiredRetired (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 08:54 AM
The Old Salt

Thanked 9,487 Times in 3,726 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRedneck View Post
Have I mentioned how much I love the Samsung galaxy s5? It's extremely smooth and fast compared to the s3. I can only imagine how fast the s6 is. I have all the same apps installed on this phone and it's night and day compared to the s3. Battery life is good too. I left it last night unplugged at 69% this morning it was at 64% I plugged it in at 7am and it was fully charged at 8. Haven't tried the waterproof feature yet.

Oh, it's fast and nice. Should be for the money it cost. Now don't get me wrong, I love it but I usually don't spend that kind of money on a phone, if you get my drift.

For what you spent on that S5, I would have gotten it too and been very happy with it. I found no deals like that.
NorthernRedneck (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Gold Member

That phone was just listed in the classifieds ten minutes before I responded. Had to jump on a deal like that.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Spock and Galvatron < one and the same

Thanked 1,314 Times in 688 Posts
Galvatron has a spectacular aura aboutGalvatron has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
My daughter carries a little power supply that connects to her phone for extended run times. It's about the size of a short cigar. Might be an option.
I have some of these kicking around never been used (from a promotion at my wifes work) if anyone wants one just say and i will happily post one....think i have 4 in total.

Could be ideal for you remote type folk.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Gold Member

Been a couple weeks with the galaxy s5. I'm loving it compared with the s3. Very happy with the battery life. The s3 would only last 4-5 hours from a full charge. I can get at least a day and a half with this phone. It's smooth and quick. I like that I can wirelessly connect to my smart TV from YouTube.

During the day when the kids are at school and the wife is at work I'll often look up a video of the phone then connect with the TV and crank the surround sound so I can play along on the guitar. Another thing I've been using the phone for is to record myself playing music. This comes in handy when a song we do has two guitars playing different chords in different keys at the same time. It allows me to play one variation while recording it then play back and play the second part on guitar while playing back the recorded part on the phone.

So it's a handy tool.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:08 AM
'lil yinzer~

luvs will become famous soon enoughluvs will become famous soon enough

blake has 1. he generally won't bring his, & thus uses my chargers. then bitches when they get too sluggish_-
Old 12-22-2015, 01:46 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

I just got a an s5 off ebay for my kid I'm into it for a couple of hundred bucks with an otter box the wife and kids are hard on cell phones mine all last till the battery dies. as for the s-6 my next one will be an s-5 the battery is too small for the processor in the s-6 and you almost have to walk around tethered to the charger.
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 03-02-2016, 07:00 PM
Gold Member

I don't regret the s5 one bit. It's a great phone. Very fast and reliable and holds a charge all day unlike the s3. And considering I'm off work now and often waiting to go to appointments and such I've been spending quite a bit of time browsing around on it while waiting for appointments. So it's not just sitting idle but rather it's often either browsing facebook, the forum, or browsing the net throughout the day and no noticeable battery drain. I don't bother to charge it at night since it only drops about 10% battery life in 7 hrs while I'm sleeping. Then I'll generally plug in for less then an hour in the morning and it's fully charged.

I try to use as many of the features I can on the phone to make my life easier. It's my daily planner. I use the calendar to keep track of all my appointments and have it synced with both the tablet and laptop at home so I can look on any device I'm on to see when my next appointments are. I use it for light browsing on the net, browsing facebook, checking out the forum etc. I like the fitness app on it that tracks how active I am throughout the day. I can go back and kind of tell how I was feeling on any particular day judging by the amount of activity I did.

I also use it for online shopping when I'm out and about looking for items locally then I'll search for it online to get a price comparison. Oh, and of course the texting and calling is standard. Another cool feature is the built in flashlight which comes in handy. Oh, and I've also downloaded a digital guitar tuner that's very accurate. I use this all the time before playing.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:55 PM
Gold Member

Rather than start a new thread I figured I would just put this here. My wife's contract was up on her phone so she could upgrade to a new one. We went down to our providers store to take a look at what they had to offer. She didn't even bother looking at the iPhone as it seems every month they are trying to one up their own product and come up with a new version. We also didn't want to pay up front for something just because it's the newest. So that narrowed it down to the s5 or they also had the LG g4. Turns out the LG is a sweet phone with a larger display than the s5. It also has 32gb of memory expandable to 64. The s5 only has 16 standard. So she got the LG. I'm almost jealous now. Lol. I messed with it a bit and like it more than the s5

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
Doc  (03-23-2016), jim slagle  (03-23-2016), TiredRetired (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,342 Times in 682 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough

Our contracts also expired. Instead of getting the new, "free" phone, we get $25 off the bill for each phone we don't replace. With the 4 of us, that's $100 off our cell phone bill every month.
Doc  (03-23-2016), jpr62902  (03-23-2016), NorthernRedneck (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 08:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
Our contracts also expired. Instead of getting the new, "free" phone, we get $25 off the bill for each phone we don't replace. With the 4 of us, that's $100 off our cell phone bill every month.
Sadly none of the providers up here have bonuses like that.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:12 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

I love my galaxy s-6 performance wise I hate the dinky battery if I were to get another I might seriously consider a new s-7 they have a 3200 amp hour battery that should allow it to run a couple of days
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool