• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Utility company phone #'s to your cell phone.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, last week our power went out. I went to contact the power company and... their phone number is no longer in the phone book?!?!?! (our phone book is about as thick as a weekly Cabela's magazine).

Pulled out the cell phone to go to their web site to report it that way. Oh yea, no 3G or 4G at our house.:hammer:

Damn it!! Mrs. Zoom called 411 and they gave her the wrong number.

I finally found a 2009 phone book in the shop and their number was in there.

So, something to consider in prepping. If your power, phone, cable, satellite... go out, can you contact them? I'm putting all their numbers in the cell phone.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a complete list including propane supplier pinned on my bulletin board in my office area. The old wall phone has a sticker on it with the NYSEG number. The phone company I know off the top of my head as well as most numbers. I am messed up in the head when it comes to phone numbers as I can recall probably well over 100 just from memory. Even my old jobs and numbers from 20 years or more.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Muley, through your own admission, you're messed in the head. :)

If you know your NYSEG, phone... numbers off the top of your head, you're either extremely anal or have so many outages that calling them is like calling home.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep! I am anal. When I busted my head on the motorcycle I was able to tell the ER docs who to call. The next day even with halodal in me I told the wife my work phone and my buddy in Perry county phone numbers to call them. When my oldest boy was killed I called the one boy at Ft.Drum and the other at Ft.Richardson in Alaska from the hospital right off the top of my head. Still remember every phone number we had growing up as well. It is only numbers man!!:yum::yum:I used to rattle off all 37 part numbers from a nested cutting program on our big routers at the defense plant. Still dream about them sometimes.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
ty, zoom. i'll put 'em into a notebook. not a prepper- telly #'s meant so much when i needed them, tho.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Muley, you're like my wife. She has, or rather used to have, a photographic memory for numbers. She can remember every phone number she's ever had, every apartment number and address, every license plate number she's ever had, friends telephone numbers, relatives numbers, you name it. She worked as a reservoir engineer and could remember the performance data of every well she ever tested, its flow rate, pressure and choke size, the production data for every field she ever worked on. It was incredible.

It used to annoy the crap out of me because she would never keep a balance on her check book. She'd do all the deductions and deposits and carry the balance in her head. I used to try to explain to her that was all well and good but it didn't help me in the freekin' slightest. I never had a clue how much money we had in the bank!!!

I must admit, as she's got older she's not as good as she used to be .... she can still remember numbers though. :yum::yum::yum:

PS ... When I was working I got into the habit of having all the company contact numbers and emergency numbers on a sheet of paper in my wallet and posted by my phone. I still keep a phone list today, on the wall in the office, in my wallet and in all the vehicles ... just in case.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife remembers all of my sins and failings from the past 44 years. Does that count for anything?:unsure:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife remembers all of my sins and failings from the past 44 years. Does that count for anything?:unsure:
NO! that seems to be all women. They never forget anything you have done and will bring it up in a flash 36 years later.:yum::yum::yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Bill - Do the NY drivers licenses still have the format (and character/digit count) of XNNNNN NNNNN NNNNNN NN? How's this for memory? I remember my NY drivers license number and I surrendered that license when I moved out... 20 years ago.

Earlier today, I surprised my wife. My daughter wanted to make an online purchase so she brought the money and the computer to the 2 of us so we could enter our CC info and she hands us the cash. Mrs. Zoom wasn't interested so I just rattled off my CC#, expiration and security code. Mrs. Zoom thought I was sick for knowing my CC info off the top of my head. I also have every number on my drivers license memorized since I seem to forget my wallet at home or in another vehicle quite a bit.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I would not know as I am still registered at the Pa. farm. I know that driver license number as well as my insurance policy number. I still remember every employee number I ever had as well. Same for multiple mailing addresses and zip codes. I used to know my plate numbers for the vehicles I drove but just got a new one from Penndot the other day so it will take a while to get used to it. We both looked for the Prius when we came out of the store today.:hammer: