• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

hi from MO

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, she was pretty new when I got to her in 72. She was on a Med cruise then. Amazing the difference crossing the Atlantic verses the Pacific. Took us 6 days to cross the Atlantic. 30 days to cross the Pacific. From nam we sailed straight to Seal Beach CA, 30 long days of cruising.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I checked the list of ships they added for agent orange exposure but didn't see your ship on there, we all sweated bullets when we found out about this new list. my ship was exposed. we carried barrels of AO in our nr 2 cargo hold. along with nuke weapons. none of us knew about this at that time. not to many years back I found out one of these barrels was punctured by a forklift. the deck crew was called in to clean up the mess. so far we can't find any of them

1917970_1126457055549_8153737_n.jpg
Actually, she is. Not sure when she was added but it makes sense considering some of the problems my two boys have.
I'm going to call my VA rep tomorrow; this is going to change a lot of things.

I wouldn't have looked at the list again if you hadn't mentioned it; I owe you. Thanks! :flowers:

K

kcvet

Actually, she is. Not sure when she was added but it makes sense considering some of the problems my two boys have.
I'm going to call my VA rep tomorrow; this is going to change a lot of things.

I wouldn't have looked at the list again if you hadn't mentioned it; I owe you. Thanks! :flowers:

if you can, send me this list so i can share it

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
2hzjxwh.jpg

pretty new ship you had. mine was commissioned near the end of WW2 and saw service there, Korea and Nam. decommissioned in 75 we have no idea what they did with her. but i did find yours

6p2pue.jpg

2ecfzab.jpg

she was used for target practice

navsource link

Olongopo ??? oh god. there are women here :brows: we've heard with all the trouble with China over there they may open Subic Bay to the fleet again.

The NAVY also used her for target practice........

The ship returned to Concord on 3 March 1973. After offloading ammunition, the ship moved to Mare Island. The ship was scheduled for upkeep from April to July. However, a message was received from the Chief of Naval Operations in July to prepare the ship for decommissioning. On 14 August 1973, Vesuvius was decommissioned and transferred to the Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility at Mare Island for further disposition and was struck from the Navy List. Vesuvius was reported to have been used for target practice, shortly after decommissioning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Vesuvius_(AE-15)

K

kcvet

The NAVY also used her for target practice........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Vesuvius_(AE-15)

that was always what we thought but never knew for sure. many were used for target practice, some taken out and sunk, or scrapped. others went to foreign countries.
navsource claims:

Final Disposition, sold by MARAD for scrapping, 5 April 1974, along with Mount Katmai (AE-16) to Nicolai Joffe Corp. Beverly Hills, CA. (PD-X-974) for $243,310. Removed from the Reserve Fleet, May 1974 to NASSCO to Treasure Island, San Francisco, CA.

link