Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Computers, Cell Phones & Electronics Forum

Old 08-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 4,086 Times in 2,030 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66
Default Replacement cell phone

Which cell phones are the best? My samsung s3 is using up the battery life like crazy. So I'm in the market for a newer phone. I looked into signing a new contract since mine is expired. I found that the one I had is no longer offered since it was a killer deal at the time. (6gb of download per month for $50) Now, I'd have to pay $75 a month for 3gb of download. I have the option of staying on the plan I'm on right now but in order to upgrade the phone I'd have to buy it outright. I'm looking into which phone to go with. (preferably something used on the local classifieds) Looking at our classifieds, there are an awful lot of iphones for sale vs anything else. I'm not a fan of iphone. I prefer android. Which phone should I be looking for?
Old 08-30-2015, 06:58 PM
The Old Salt

Thanked 8,394 Times in 3,380 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Replacement cell phone

I have to say, your question is paramount to asking what is the best beer. You will most likely get about 20 replies and 20 different phones along with three different mobile operating systems.

I have an Android smart phone that was free 2 1/2 years ago with a two year agreement. The agreement is up so I get a $15/month discount, so that is why I keep the phone which is working good enough for me.

My favorite? As you could not tell, whatever is cheap.

If you want Android, look for a nice used HTC Droid DNA phone. That is what I have and it is still running good. 5" HD screen is great, along with quad core processor. Should be had on FleaBay for under $100 bucks by now. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:20 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,385 Times in 564 Posts
jimbo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
I have to say, your question is paramount to asking what is the best beer. You will most likely get about 20 replies and 20 different phones along with three different mobile operating systems.

I have an Android smart phone that was free 2 1/2 years ago with a two year agreement. The agreement is up so I get a $15/month discount, so that is why I keep the phone which is working good enough for me.

My favorite? As you could not tell, whatever is cheap.

If you want Android, look for a nice used HTC Droid DNA phone. That is what I have and it is still running good. 5" HD screen is great, along with quad core processor. Should be had on FleaBay for under $100 bucks by now. Good luck.
I'm with you on the cheap. Whatever is the cheapest is the bestest.

I just renewed. The deal of the day was the free tablet. With a separate telephone number. The only free phone was a flip phone, which works for me. I use a phone only as a phone and formerly as a mobile hot spot.

The combination costs $10 less/month than my old plan and works better for me.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 6,077 Times in 2,698 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about

Apple's iPhone 5s is the best phone I've ever used. Had several various Motorola, Nokia, Blackberry, etc phones. Hands down the best phone is my current phone. Contract expired many months ago, no plans to 'upgrade' and give up this phone.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 08-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Diesel Truck Fan

Adillo303 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melensdad View Post
Apple's iPhone 5s is the best phone I've ever used. Had several various Motorola, Nokia, Blackberry, etc phones. Hands down the best phone is my current phone. Contract expired many months ago, no plans to 'upgrade' and give up this phone.

Could you expound as to the fraud that you like about the phone?

Thank you
Old 08-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Forum Admin

Thanked 11,244 Times in 4,708 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

I'll 2nd Bob's nod to the iPhone 5s. Mine was great till I forgot it was in my pocket and went swimming. Killed it. I had insurance on it and they replaced it with a bigger iPhone 6. Took a bit to get used to the bigger size but now that I have I am sold on the iPhone 6. I can read a book via Kindle easier, surf internet etc easier because of the bigger size ....my older eyes probably have some to do with that.
They also make an iPhone 6 plus ...that is not what I have. I have the smaller of the two versions of the iPhone 6 and am very happy with it.

Other Fun Forums:

Weekend Mudders + Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:
jimbo (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

grizzer is on a distinguished road

I played with a Samsung Note 5 a couple of Saturdays ago.

Spectacular screen pixel count blows away iPhone. Built in pointer thing acts like a tablet and comes in 5 packs when u lose it.

Uses a bullseye plate for wireless recharging.

Dual channel wifi downloads pictures in a blink

Not sure how long the battery lasts but I want one if I stay in an urban area much longer.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

I've been looking at the samsung galaxy s5. Not entirely sold on one yet. Never was a fan of anything apple related. I bought myself a used ipod a while back just to test the waters and see if I could develop a taste for that operating system. I ended up using the thing three times and the screen broke so it stayed in a drawer.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
jimbo (08-30-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 10:34 AM
Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer

jpr62902 will become famous soon enoughjpr62902 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRedneck View Post
I've been looking at the samsung galaxy s5. Not entirely sold on one yet. Never was a fan of anything apple related. I bought myself a used ipod a while back just to test the waters and see if I could develop a taste for that operating system. I ended up using the thing three times and the screen broke so it stayed in a drawer.
The wife LOVES her S5. When my Nokia Windows phone goes tits up, I switching to Android\Samsung.

-- Sam
Old 08-30-2015, 10:40 PM
Forum Admin

Thanked 11,244 Times in 4,708 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

The iPod might not be the best way to test the waters. It does work well in conjunction with the iPhone but as someone who just endorsed my iPhone ....I bought an iPod last year to try out. Did not care for it at all. I passed it off to my wife.

Other Fun Forums:

Weekend Mudders + Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
Old 08-31-2015, 06:08 AM
Diesel Truck Fan

First, let me correct an autocorrect. I meant features in the iPhone, not fraud. I am sorry about that.

I am a heavy cellphone user, but, a meat and potatoes user. I do not listen to music or watch videos, save some news videos. As a working computer field engineer (IT is what your dog is after it gets home from the vet) I use the phone for texts, emails and make and receive calls from customers. I use the browsing to find answers to problems that I am working on and most importantly, to download software to my phone and then plug it into a PC as a flash drive and copy the software there. I also keep a library of work related software there to load onto PC's. This helps in virus / spyware removal and getting machines on the network that do not have the drivers for network cards.

Battery life is paramount, I have to have at least a day and maybe two days life for this type of use.

For these reasons, I have never really clicked with an iPhone, it just can't do all of that. I do have to fix them somewhat. Mostly configure e-Mail.

This is why I was asking what features people like. I am wondering if I have missed something.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:33 AM
Bronze Member

Glenn9643 is on a distinguished road

Who's your carrier? I'm with Verizon and have used a Motorola Droid Maxx for a couple of years... by far the best phone I've ever had. I've never had to charge it during the day, and usually has more than 50% battery in the evening when I go to bed and put it on the charger. But this phone is a Verizon exclusive.

The best bang for your buck is coming out within a week... Motorola X Style. It will be sold by Motorola through Best Buy, Amazon, etc. and will be compatible with all major carriers. Check the specs and the price. The only downside for me is the lack of wireless charging.
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn9643 For This Useful Post:
rback33 (11-30-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 01:57 PM
Diesel Truck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn9643 View Post
Who's your carrier? I'm with Verizon and have used a Motorola Droid Maxx for a couple of years... by far the best phone I've ever had. I've never had to charge it during the day, and usually has more than 50% battery in the evening when I go to bed and put it on the charger. But this phone is a Verizon exclusive.

The best bang for your buck is coming out within a week... Motorola X Style. It will be sold by Motorola through Best Buy, Amazon, etc. and will be compatible with all major carriers. Check the specs and the price. The only downside for me is the lack of wireless charging.
I have the same phone and carrier that you do. It does everything I need.

Andy
Old 08-31-2015, 09:58 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,434 Times in 663 Posts
road squawker is on a distinguished road

more than likely, there is nothing wrong with your phone, the BATTERY is just old and won't recharge fully.

get a new battery, they are pretty cheap considering what a new phone contract will cost ya.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to road squawker For This Useful Post:
jpr62902  (08-31-2015), NorthernRedneck (08-31-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,224 Times in 634 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough

IMHO, I'd be looking at the total package from the provider(s).

Some offer cheaper service but you need to buy at full price the phone(s).

Our 2-year contract has expired. Since we don't want new phones, they give us $25 credit per phone each month we don't renew and keep our current phones.

We have 5 phones + some tablet/hotspot thingy + 10gig to use between us and the total bill is right around $200.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:53 PM
Bronze Member

k-dog is on a distinguished road

My personal phone is iPhone 6 and my work phone is a Samsung galaxy S4. There are features I like on both, but the iPhone is hands down my favorite. It just feels better and is a lot easier to use in my experience. I will say that I am not a fan of android operating system but it's a personal preference. It seems you would have to figure out which operating system you like better and go from there.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:35 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

i have a galaxy s-6 i love the phone ,but hate the battery life. it needs twice the battery to keep up with the company i- phone 6 ,what i hate about the i- phone is their audio output sucks in a noisy environment. I'm thinking about taking the new s-6 back as i cant get over 12 hours of stand by time on it.
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 08-31-2015, 06:12 PM
Gold Member

I like the operating system on the galaxy s3 but the battery life leaves something to be desired. A cell phone battery should last more than 6 hours. Mine doesn't. I've had it a year and half and it's on it's second battery already. I like the fact that it has the memory card for extra storage.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:15 AM
Silver Member

ki0ho will become famous soon enough

well my phone is old enough that the phone company says it won't be compatable much longer one day soon I will be in your shoes.......but for now Im keeping what I got.......

01-20-17 Lord grant me Patience!
Shit Happens

Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,434 Times in 663 Posts
road squawker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRedneck View Post
I like the operating system on the galaxy s3 but the battery life leaves something to be desired. A cell phone battery should last more than 6 hours. Mine doesn't. I've had it a year and half and it's on it's second battery already. I like the fact that it has the memory card for extra storage.
here ya go,... $40 -$60

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...oef3-rSBXqtTNw