• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lawsuit Over Brokeback Mountain in Class

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice, show Brokeback to 12 year olds and expect them to keep it quiet. I'm not sure I want people as stupid as this teacher teaching my kids let alone showing them pro-homosexual propaganda.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20070514/D8P3QN504.html

Lawsuit Over Brokeback Mountain in Class

May 13, 8:20 PM (ET)

CHICAGO (AP) - A girl and her grandparents have sued the Chicago Board of Education, alleging that a substitute teacher showed the R-rated film "Brokeback Mountain" in class.

The lawsuit claims that Jessica Turner, 12, suffered psychological distress after viewing the movie in her 8th grade class at Ashburn Community Elementary School last year.

The film, which won three Oscars, depicts two cowboys who conceal their homosexual affair.

Turner and her grandparents, Kenneth and LaVerne Richardson, are seeking around $500,000 in damages.

"It is very important to me that my children not be exposed to this," said Kenneth Richardson, Turner's guardian. "The teacher knew she was not supposed to do this."

According to the lawsuit filed Friday in Cook County Circuit Court, the video was shown without permission from the students' parents and guardians.

The lawsuit also names Ashburn Principal Jewel Diaz and a substitute teacher, referred to as "Ms. Buford."

The substitute asked a student to shut the classroom door at the West Side school, saying: "What happens in Ms. Buford's class stays in Ms. Buford's class," according to the lawsuit.

Richardson said his granddaughter was traumatized by the movie and had to undergo psychological treatment and counseling.

In 2005, Richardson complained to school administrators about reading material that he said included curse words.

"This was the last straw," he said. "I feel the lawsuit was necessary because of the warning I had already given them on the literature they were giving out to children to read. I told them it was against our faith."

Messages left over the weekend with CPS officials were not immediately returned.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
R rated films are supposed to be for people above a certain age, maybe 17?

In any case, my wife is a teacher at a local high school. She is only allowed to show movies that
  1. are age appropriate to her students (R-Rated is not allowed unless a permission slip is signed in advance by the parents)
  2. are topic appropriate and relevant to the course material being taught
That said, how could anyone rationally find it appropriate for 12 year olds to be shown an R rated movie without prior parental consent?

And what class was this material shown in so that a homosexual affair between 2 cowboys would have been considered relevant to the course materials? Bear in mind, I don't have a problem with high school kids, of appropriate age, being shown R rated movies. Nor do I have a problem with showing a movie that contains a secret homosexual affair between cowboys to be shown to students who are of the appropriate age to watch an R rated movie.

However, what I don't grasp is what this R-rated movie has to do with school
, especially at the MIDDLE SCHOOL age groups, where some parents would clearly object to showing their child a PG-13-rated movie without prior consent! Further, at age 12, what course would have materials that are relevant to a homosexual relationship between cowboys? As my daughter is 12, and as she and I study for her tests together, I have a reasonable grasp on the course material and I'm not seeing any class where the film Brokeback Mountain would be an appropriate movie.