• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Putting in a new front door???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We built our home almost 18 years ago and my wife has NEVER like the front door that I had installed. Its pretty plain and has 2 narrow sidelight panels. Total width is about 6', and its standard height.

I'm thinking of replacing the door this summer. Don't know how to do it. Don't want to tear up my walls doing it either.

How do you replace a door & sidelights? Lets presume I replace it with one that has the same overall dimensions.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Pics would help as some doors and frames can be quite different. That said your main tool needed will be a sawzall to cut the nails that hold the frame in place and of coarse a good level and square, IMO. :wink:

Remove the trim from both sides first the use the saw to cut the nails instead of taking a chance on damaging the door frame. Installing it is the same but in reverse, you will probably need shims to get it squared up properly though. Its a perty simple job IMO but I have put several in before, 2 just this week. :biggrin:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Usually they come as one unit with the door pre-hung. I changed mine a couple of years ago. When I built the house all I could afford was just a plain steel door. Even painted by a pro to look like wood, I though it looked bad. I about shit a brick when I got prices for what I wanted. Due to the extreme seasons we have, every place advised me to not go with a solid wood door. They said it would stick in the summer and be loose in the winter. Fiberglass made to look like wood was what they suggested. One had a door that was beautiful with leaded glass and all. It was only $26,000 if I installed it! :eek:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Pics would help as some doors and frames can be quite different. That said your main tool needed will be a sawzall to cut the nails that hold the frame in place and of coarse a good level and square, IMO. :wink:

Remove the trim from both sides first the use the saw to cut the nails instead of taking a chance on damaging the door frame. Installing it is the same but in reverse, you will probably need shims to get it squared up properly though. Its a perty simple job IMO but I have put several in before, 2 just this week. :biggrin:

My sawsall kept hitting the outside and bending blades. I used a long thin flat chisel and cut the nails that way. With the size Bob's talking about, he better lift weights if he's going to carry it and install it himself. :shifty:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Carefully pull the pins and remove the old door. Then just reach through the opening with an excavator or backhoe and pull the old door out. Build the resulting opening down to fit the new door and install it.:whistling::clap::clap:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Carefully pull the pins and remove the old door. Then just reach through the opening with an excavator or backhoe and pull the old door out. Build the resulting opening down to fit the new door and install it.:whistling::clap::clap:

Wish I had known this trick before I put in my front door ....:biggrin:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Carefully remove your inside casings to determine the rough opening when ordering the door/sidelight unit. When the door is to be delivered, have help to get the new unit set in place. When doing that size door, I have another friend with me and utilize the two delivery guys to carry the door right to the ready opening and tilt it right into place. Be sure to put a heavy bead of silicone/acrylic calk on the sill to prevent insects from getting under the sill plate. Have a level ready and plenty of shims, and be sure to center the door between the siding. This will insure that you can reuse the interior casing.

When removing the existing unit, be careful removing the caulk around the brick molding so you don't damage your siding. I use an inexpensive Multifunction Power Tool from Harbor Freight Tools to cut the caulk away from the brick mold, then carefully clean the caulk from the siding with a sharp chisel. HFT has the tool in their March sale flyer for $19.99. I use the 1-1/2" wood blade for this task.

If you have aluminum clading on the existing door, you will need to have someone with a siding brake to shape new trim if you wish to use it. I order all of my doors with Azek solid vinyl brick molding so it never needs painting.

You can also order your door and have it installed by Pella. They will insure the job is done perfectly, and will even paint the inside and outside in your choice of color. They use Sherwin Williams paints. It's not cheap, but it's all done in one day and it's guaranteed. If you have the resources, this is the best avenue, IMHO.