• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

BRIGGS & STRATTON files for Chapt 11 Bankruptcy

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This story caught me off guard, probably because there are so many B&S small engines in circulation in everything from generators to lawn mowers to mini-bikes. Just seems like they are everywhere, but apparently there are a lot of others at lower prices and eating up market share for the perennial favorite of small engine companies.

. . . Founded my Stephen Foster Briggs and Harold M. Stratton in 1908 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the company recently filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Known primarily for producing lawnmower engines, the company produced generators during World War II, and when the post-war period produced a boom in suburban growth, and the need for lawnmowers, Briggs and Stratton grew with it. Now based in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, the company’s development of the lightweight aluminum engine in 1953 helped cement its place in small engine history, and its growth in homemade minibike development.

During this century, the company engaged in a series of acquisitions, not all of which produced the necessary value, and recent plant closures followed declining sales. Massive debt and the effects of the COVID19 pandemic pushed Briggs over the edge into filing for Chapter 11, securing debtor-in-possession financing of $677.5 million from KPS Capital Partners LP.

Filed in St. Louis, Missouri, the bankruptcy filing states debts of more than $1 billion. Todd Teske, President and CEO, said in a statement, “Over the past several months, we have explored multiple options with our advisors to strengthen our financial position and flexibility. The challenges we have faced during the COVID-19 pandemic have made reorganization the difficult but necessary and appropriate path forward to secure our business. It also gives us support to execute on our strategic plans to bring greater value to our customers and channel partners. Throughout this process, Briggs & Stratton products will continue to be produced, distributed, sold and fully backed by our dedicated team.”
LINK => https://advrider.com/briggs-stratton-files-for-chapter-11/

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm shocked - they make such a quality product. :smileywac

Attachments

• BS_engine.png
    BS_engine.png
    791.2 KB · Views: 27

Bannedjoe

I'm not really surprised, not when there are so many Honda clones out there.
You certainly can't go wrong with a harbor freight predator for $99 bucks on sale.
I've bought quite a few and use them on my mini bikes.
I even scored a brand new one on ebay for $69.
It turned out to be some sort of scam, but I actually ended up with one anyway.

A minibike/gokart board that I USED to belong to was enamoured with these cheap engines because they were so easy to modify and squeeze some extra chooch out of.

I used to make fun of them because the board was always packed with noobs asking the same old questions over and over again about the Predator.
When the noobs would ask what engine they should get, I'd tell them about my fictional engine called the Rotaderp.

I even made a commercial for it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp9a8gp_yLo[/ame]

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I know that the Japanese have virtually taken over the small engine market but the best engine that I ever owned was a B&S Industrial engine installed in one of the first DR Brush Mowers. The darned thing started second pull every time and was indestructible. I should say "almost indestructible". My SIL managed it.

I'm sorry to hear about their troubles but from the report they are in a world of hurt.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know that the Japanese have virtually taken over the small engine market but the best engine that I ever owned was a B&S Industrial engine installed in one of the first DR Brush Mowers. The darned thing started second pull every time and was indestructible. I should say "almost indestructible". My SIL managed it.

I'm sorry to hear about their troubles but from the report they are in a world of hurt.

Briggs Industrial are great engines. My first whole house generator was a B&S Industrial powered unit. Lasted 17 years before blowing a head gasket. Gave that unit to my buddy who repaired it and still uses it. I switched to a full auto generator.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Once B&S started putting cast iron cylinders in their engines, they improved them greatly.

I have one one a hydraulic pump that gets used and abused. I think it is from the mid 90's and is just one of those engines that just always seems to start and run well.

Sad to see them go.

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the old flat head motors were indestructible even if they were tempermental in the cold weather for starting. the new ohv motors they make have not impressed me. I have one on my pressure washer that runs good, but I loaned it out and the recoil starter got dicked up I have ordered 3 now and scrounged 3 others and I still cant find one that works on this motor its only a 16 h v twin how many starters did they need to make. too many parts on inventory to make the same engine really will increase your cost of operation.