• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snow trac starter motor

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am putting a fresh starter in my snow trac. The replacement Bosch starter is only 2/3rds the size of my stock one but looks heavy duty. The weight was close to the same. I passed on buying it and am going to have have my larger stock rebuilt. Both are Bosch starters but my old stock one is over 40 yrs.
I wanted to see what you think on this. Would the new smaller size be ok?
My engine is a 1200cc VW and always been an easy one to turn over.
jim

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim I bought the Yellow Snow master out of VT earlier this summer. I had some Buggy racer buddies from the snowmobile club over to look at it and help me understand the motor better. When they were peeking around under the hood the engine guy (Jim) turned his head and said to the tranny guy (Ryan) "Look he's got the Good small starter, you'll have no trouble with that" Jim Stated that you need that starter to get the bigger engines started.?

I also have ST4 number 268 in the yard and it has the bigger starter motor, the bigger starter does turn the motor over easily, but it is slower.

My thoughts, If I rebuild the knocking ventilated crankcase engine on 268 I am leaning towards the Gear reduction starter. Two reasons, I am familiar with them from my liquid cooled cars (including diesels ) they all have them, and who ever built that Yellow machine did a great job and they chose to install one on that machine as well.

Mike

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
jim i just run rebuilt 6 volt starters from carquest they cost me 90 bucks and i burn one up about every 2 years and have had no problems kenedy engineering has a gear reduction rig that loks cool i have not been able to dig deep enough in to my pockets to buy it yet