• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New owner of FN 110 Nodwell

FN 110

Hello everyone and merry christmas! I'm the proud new owner of a FN 110 Nodwell Flextrac. Not technically a snow cat but certainly in the same family. I bought the machine yesterday for a bargain basement price at an auction. It needs an engine. The 4-53 Detroit has the head removed. I'm wondering if the 453 is a standard, run of the mill configuration, If so I've located a good takeout for $400. What do you guys think about it? Are there any other forums out there that I should know about?

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,593
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,086
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,053

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Looks good, the 453 was prob. a standard engine for that year model or what was installed per a bid request when it was bought (some cases owners could request certain engines). I had one with a cat engine in it, but if you can get a replacement, they were good engines, just loud!

Like the crane, would be good for hanging results from a good hunt on...

If you got it at a good price, then you did really good! Could prob. sell the crane separately for what you paid for the machine!

FN 110

Looks good, the 453 was prob. a standard engine for that year model or what was installed per a bid request when it was bought (some cases owners could request certain engines). I had one with a cat engine in it, but if you can get a replacement, they were good engines, just loud!

Like the crane, would be good for hanging results from a good hunt on...

If you got it at a good price, then you did really good! Could prob. sell the crane separately for what you paid for the machine!

Thanks for the quick reply. As long as the engine isn't some weird reverse rotation non standard version, I should be ok on getting a cheap engine. We have a big farm here in Kentucky and hope to use it. it has a big winch on the back too along with a hitch. I wonder if there are any trailers out there that have tracks. I'd like to use it to load logs onto a trailer. Otherwise I may play with it a while and sell it.

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,001

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Nice !!!
I love the crane. Can you pin a man-bucket on it ?

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Thanks for the quick reply. As long as the engine isn't some weird reverse rotation non standard version, I should be ok on getting a cheap engine. We have a big farm here in Kentucky and hope to use it. it has a big winch on the back too along with a hitch. I wonder if there are any trailers out there that have tracks. I'd like to use it to load logs onto a trailer. Otherwise I may play with it a while and sell it.

Well the Detroits can be made to run in either direction since they are two stoke, but I really doubt that you have one that turns other than right handed. Left turning ones are mostly in Marine Applications on older boats with two engines, but newer models us the transmissions to get counter rotating shafts.

Basically by the looks of it, you have a very standard Nodwell, with the exception of the crane. Not a huge after market for them (Nodwell 110), unless you pulled the crane off and put a tank on the back for fire fighting, there may be a good market in leasing for fire fighting. Which is what I leased mine out for. Most Utilities and such buy them new on special order.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Nice !!!
I love the crane. Can you pin a man-bucket on it ?

You can, it is just a redo of the main boom on the end, or you can just hang a man basket under it and freak out the OSHA guys when they come by....:yum:

J5 Bombardier

Now that is a nice unit! Still a lot of 53 and 71 series parts around to keep those detroits going. Your definately going to need a good set of ear muffs ! Keep the pics coming and welcome to the forum.
J5 Bombardier

FN 110

Show us a picture of the other door handle :wink:

Are you going to use log tongs or do you have another plan ?

Hi. Yes I'll probably use tongs. I'll get a picture of the door handle on the right door in the next few days. I've been searching to see if there is some sort of trailer on tracks that I could pull behind it. I guess it does not have to be on tracks but I like the track idea better. If I had a similar running gear, I could take an old log trailer and cut it up for parts.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
If you have spare money, you can buy steel tracks that wrap around wheels on almost any machine.

Where are you located ?
You might find a tracked trailer that went with a J5 or (less likely) a Muskeg.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Being down in Kentucky your best shot at a trailer would be an old tracked off road dumper like a Marooka or Komatsu. Maybe find a wrecked one or or one where the drive train is broke and make a trailer.

Up here in Alaska there were/are a lot of tracked trailers that were basically the same running gear as the Nodwell. I am sure they were built by the same company but someone with some North Slope experience would know more about them. I have seen them go at auctions for as low as $1000.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's not just a boom either...:brows:

It's known around here as a digger truck, or in this case a Nordwell. It has a hydrostatic motor (top end of boom, drivers side folded back on the cab roof) for turning a boring auger for digging holes and setting light poles, as this machine originally was used for. Must be a big pump around it some where, a hydrostatic one. It probably has a seperate hydrolic pump for the boom funtions.

Regards, Kirk

FN 110

Show us a picture of the other door handle :wink:

Are you going to use log tongs or do you have another plan ?

Here is a picture I took today of the right door latch. After comparing it to the missing door latch on the left side hole, I think the same part is used on both sides.

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 822
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 837

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the better pictures. I haven't seen that style before. I didn't find them at the Austin link or in another search.