• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sirius raido

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am getting fed up with FM any one use them what are the pro/cons?
I mostly listen to country how are those channels?

tom

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have Sirrius in one of my cars. Love it. But I hate the cost.

The fact that you have a 100+ channels is fantastic, but as with TV I find that I use only a small % of what is available. The fact that the channels never fade out as you drive into the rural areas is a huge bonus. I can drive from Chicago to Indianapolis and back and never have a signal fade. Using traditional FM radio I'd have to search the dial several times during that trip and using AM radio it would take a couple of searches to keep some station or another tuned in.

I don't listen to country music but I know they have a couple dedicated channels just for that. Along with dozens of other music channels. They have a bunch of news channels, lots of talk channels (left, right, ladies topics, sex, you name it). A bunch of comedy channels from 'family friendly' to seriously raunchy.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had Sirius Sportster radio. It was portable and could be moved from vehicle to vehicle. I had to tune to an empty radio frequency to get it to play. I traveled to Chicago and was not happy with it at all. Indy and lots of other larger towns do not appear to have any unused frequencies. Coming back home I didn't mess with Sirius, it was to much of a hassle. The other drawback of the Sportster was all the wires you need to make it work were a bit much. However, if you could plug directly into your radio as some are equipted to do, that would help it out a lot .... but if I were going to us Sirius again i would go with a built in radio that was Sirius capable.
There are lots of all types of stations. I'm sure you'd find some that fit exactly what you are looking for.

Here is a link to the Sirius Channel lineup:
http://www.siriusxm.com/channellineup
(Sirius and XM are one and the same now)

snow dog

If it wasn't for sirus or xm it would be Damn quiet. Love um

cost is a downer, but you can't take it with you

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I had sirius before. Mine never left 128. Couldn't afford to keep it though. It's rather pricey! There's allot of selection on there for music depending on what you like,

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had Sirius for quite awhile, I use to drive a lot. I never had any issue holding a station on the frequency I chose and I only use 1, I never have changed it. I've traveled in multiple states without problem.

As far as the cost, I always pay for the 2 year subscription. I don't travel near as much so it's the staple in the garage. I have the boom box for the Sportster and I hooked it to an old surround system, I can make the garage and the neighboring farms rock!

My son just got one and if you want to reduce cost they have a selectable programming option now. IIRC, you select your 50 favorite stations for $6.95/month ........ A La Carte

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I had sirius before. Mine never left 128. Couldn't afford to keep it though. It's rather pricey! There's allot of selection on there for music depending on what you like,

I assume they do not have their "lifetime" deal anymore? I paid something like $325 (?) several years ago for a lifetime subscription.

They have a good selection of a vast array of genres for your listening pleasure. I'd say there are probably at least 10 different country channels. Don't let Bob fool you, he only has it so he can have the Oprah channel.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I did the prepay 3 year deal when we bought the new Prius. During the winter I change it to the suburban and come spring go back to the Prius. They fuss about it and want to try to charge a fee for that but I remind them to pull up the original conversation and give them the date and who I talked with. No extra fees. It has a good reception except for real big mountains can block it briefly. the selection is pretty good and I have one or 2 country along with some classic rock channels preset in both vehicles. Don't let them hustle you on the subscription and charges and you will like it. It is no different than Direct tv or anything else.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Though I 'd like to reactivate my sirius, I can think of allot more places I can spend $170 plus tax for one year right now.

ben2go

Ya'll all over look HD radio.A few people I know have them.There's no bill.It's just like the new digital over the air TV stations.Buy an add on or buy a complete new radio.We have like 20 or 25 channels and I have my favorite local channels.You can also hold those channels for longer distance before there out of range.There's a button on the radios that retune and scan for new channels when get so far out but you don't loose your presets.They also still get standard channels that everyone with a antenee gets now.

Here is more info and there is a station guide on there.I found more channels than whats listed for my area. http://www.hdradio.com/

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ya'll all over look HD radio.A few people I know have them.There's no bill.It's just like the new digital over the air TV stations.Buy an add on or buy a complete new radio.We have like 20 or 25 channels and I have my favorite local channels.You can also hold those channels for longer distance before there out of range.There's a button on the radios that retune and scan for new channels when get so far out but you don't loose your presets.They also still get standard channels that everyone with a antenee gets now.

Here is more info and there is a station guide on there.I found more channels than whats listed for my area. http://www.hdradio.com/

No I had one in my truck it has more range limitations then regular FM in my opinion.
Digital is on and off not on between and the stations I listen too were both fringe at best on digital switching back and forth between the two.

The second problem was my truck is a diesel when waiting to preheat the radio starts to boots up then you go to start the truck and it changes your settings (not the presets) were ever it was when you go to start (killing aux power) it come's back to not were you want it.:angry:
My cure was to turn it off before shutting truck off and back on after it was started.

tom