• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowtrac mods to quiet the cab?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I like my ST4 but it is really louder than some other cats. What have some of others done to quiet the cab? ( yeah I know shut it off ) :whistling:
I think a lot of the noise is coming in the heat tubes. I do have a external oil cooler and have thought about using it for cab heat and deflecting it outside when not needed mine has a electric fan that cools it.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is some thing you should read....

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=13246

By Lyndon BTW..

As for using the oil cooler for cabin heat, I remeber it being said here by some one who has done this, and the results were slow, and not as much heat as was wanted. Maybe OK for supplimental heat along with you heat exchangers on the exhaust...

For me I think it is also important to be sure the rear door and side windows are sealing up well. I have spent time in both of these areas, and it has helped. Also don't forget the access door at the bottom right front of the floor pan for the trans oil plug. This door on mine has blown open when running into a strong headwind. Talk about cool your cab down!

My floor is covered in smooth very wide conveyor belting. I am sure it helps as it is quite heavy. There is also short pile carpeting on the lower side walls inside of the tracks. Also I notice mine got quiter when I ran the exhaust pipe out the back and up the rear over the cabin roof.

Now get to work!

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Brad I lined the inside of mine with 1 inch close celled foam it seems to work pretty well you do still need head sets when using a radio. I have a db meter I should take it out and see what the noise level Is on hard ground. I know its quite a bit quieter on snow I would put the noise level between the snow trac and Thiokol 2100 diesel about the same.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
lining on the walls and seat area helped lessen my track noise . I run a 1200 engine still.
still to much noise to use the radio unless stopped.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I sprayed the lower half of the inside of my cab with a 2 part epoxy product similar to Rhino-Liner. It formed a 1/4" think rubber-like cushion on much of the lower half of the interior of the cabin. I also had a thin indoor-outdoor carpet on the floor. It helped some.