• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Metal vs Plastic Electrical boxes.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Everything Joe said. I could not have said that better myself. :biggrin: If one were to zoom in on that fan box from Home Cheapo one would see that a junction box made specifically for a fan installation has mounting studs for the 8-32 screws as well as the two standard 8-32 mounting tabs. One would want to make sure they use the studs in lieu of the tabs in order to get that 150# ratings. Using the standard tabs will only give you one or two threads for the 8-32 screws and that is not enough. Common sense stuff most would figure out anyway but you would be surprised.

As Joe also mentioned, it is extremely important and worth mentioning again to leave the wires long enough out of the boxes to the device being terminated. The 6 inches required by code sure facilitates the folding of the wires back onto themselves and makes tucking them into the box when trimming off much much easier. A rookie mistake is in thinking the shorter the wires, the less to fit into the box but in this instance that is not the case.

One point Joe did not touch upon is the size of the boxes. USE DEEP BOXES. I use only the 3 1/4" deep ones.

Happy wiring!

Good thread guys.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys. No offense taken Joe. I am a rookie at this for sure. I am leaving plenty of wire length so that I was worried about getting it all back into the box. Deep boxes sound like a good idea, and how I can accomplish the 4 gang switch. It seemed as it would be so crowded in the box for all the wires I thought for sure I had to have a junction box. Good to know that is not the case and how to get around that.

I have already run the circuit for the receptacles. A GFCI outlet will be the first in the string. I am working on this slowly, as I have time and when the weather keeps me away from boating. Slow but sure I'll get er done.

I am out in the sticks. No inspections or anything like that required. Joe, if you want to deliver some cinnabuns I'd be happy to have you inspect and assist while you are here. :yum: :yankchain: Really, I do wish you were closer. That would be nice.