• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Damaged Apple Tree

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
We needed a crane to lift the trusses onto the house we're building. They run $150.00 an hour with a 4 hour minimum. So the trusses were set and the crane driver was on his way out. The crane sits pretty high and on the way down the driveway the boom hit a large branch on a 40 year old apple tree. And it hit HARD! Hard enough that it broke the base of the apple tree.

Normally a hit like this would not break the base of the tree but this tree was hollow inside and the base cracked all the way around. (See pics below)

I wasn't home when this all happened but it wasn't hard to see what happened when I returned. I knew I would have to cut the tree down but I wanted the contractor to see the damage first. But the tree wouldn't wait that long and during the night it collapsed.

So here's my problem. Shit happens, know what I mean? And it was an accident. But nobody said anything to me about it or volunteered to replace it and that kind of pisses me off. Should I jump on somebody's ass and make them pay for the tree? (No idea what a 40 year old apple tree is even worth.) Or should I just caulk it up as one of those things and move on?

Attachments

• tn_ATD 3 012 (5).JPG
    tn_ATD 3 012 (5).JPG
    184 KB · Views: 72
  • tn_ATD 001 (1).JPG
    tn_ATD 001 (1).JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 73
  • tn_ATD 001 (5).JPG
    tn_ATD 001 (5).JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 72

Leni

So do I. In fact it may be just better that it is down now instead of deciding to fall just as someone walks under it.

It would have been nice if they had something about the hit but what the heck. As you said, shit happens.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree with those that say move on. However, I would ask why they choose not to call and let someone know about it. That is just not right. It's about respect for someone's personal property, irregardless of it's perceived or actual value.

Daxman

Rotten tree or not thats shitty that it wasnt brought to your attention that the tree was hit. Im sure he felt it or noticed that he brushed the tree. You may not be able to put a price on the tree but i certainly would mention to them what happend.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
You have any idea how much moonshine that tree has been responsible for?

Daxman

LMAO, ok PM me the company that ownes the crane, i need to make a phone call.. That tree is going to have to be replaced soon... :whistling:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Quit yer bitchin. He did you a favor. What would you have said when it fell on your Porsche or Trish's Mercedes?:hammer::yum::yum: