• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Air compressor

daedong

Did not know what forum to post this so I thought here would get good exposure.

I am just about ready to spray paint my boat. Spray painting is something I have never done before; consequently I am on a step learning curve. I understand that compressors for spraying painting should have moisture filters.

So today I went hunting through all my trinket boxes and I found this. Will it do the trick, how does it work, is it just positioned on the air outlet what else can you tell me about it?
filters.jpg

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm no expert but the clear one looks like it has some regulation and is typically a moisture seperator but I see no tap for removing (blowing down) the water. It also could be a oiler, but not likely since I believe if it was it would be somewhat discolored. It would help to have a picture looking at the top of the cannisters. The solid one could be for silica resin but those are typically downstream from the seperator. Looks like it was on an air system from the fitting. More pics from different angles Vin!

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
I'm no expert but the clear one looks like it has some regulation and is typically a moisture seperator but I see no tap for removing (blowing down) the water.

Black knob on the bottom - should be able to either push it slightly (spring loaded) to drain the water, or more likely turn it to open it and drain it, then close it back up.

Make sure the blue one is empty. Sometimes they are used for adding oil to the airline for airtools. You don't want oil in your paint:eek: ...unless you like that sort of thing!:D

daedong

The black knob on top of the left canister turns, one way is a + the other way a -
I think the thing was on a compressor from a cherry picker platform.

humor_me

Vin,
To spray paint you should remove the unit on the right (the one with NO knob).
That unit is a lubricator typically used for rotary and reciprocating tool lubrication and it could have residue in it that could ruin your paint job.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
daedong said:
So what is the adjustment knob do?

edit spelling
That is a regulator. If you put a pressure gauge on the output side of it, you will observe the pressure goes up or down as you adjust the knob on top. As long as you have higher pressure on the input side than what is required on the output side, you will have nice smooth consistent air pressure supplied to your sprayer (very important for a good finish).

edit: Actually, I think the assembly you have is not a lubricator. I think the one on the right is an extra filter (large particle filter?). I say it's not a lubricator because a lubricator needs to be installed after the filter/regulator, otherwise you clog up your filter and drain bowl with oil. (or it was installed wrong!)

Here's a nice explanation of a FRL system.

daedong

I was starting to think it was an adjustment for oil. I hooked it to the compressor tonight and found after about 20 mins running it the canister on the right had about 2 teaspoons of water in it. Tomorrow I will see if that knob changes the outlet pressure. I will also get some more pics tomorrow.
Thanks fellas

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Before you start painting bleed the air from your tank and drain the water. You won't have to empty the cup on the seperator so often.

Jim

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not sure how much humidity you're fighting etc, but I hate water in the system for painting so here's my "overkill" approach:

Big compressor that doesn't have to work too hard to keep up (cool air has easier water knock-out). Draining the tank was already mentioned too.

Black iron piping out of the compressor; I'd recommend at least a few feet, but the more the better.

Water seperator at the highest point of your piping. It looks like a female quickcoupler on the left side of your setup: this makes me think the flow was from right to left (any arrows?). Thus an oiler doesn't make sense, nor a fine filter. It could be an oil trap or coalescing filter, or as pointed out, perhaps a coarse filter. If it is an oiler though, get it out of the system if it's ever had oil in it.

I like a coalescing filter at the end of my main hose (I use a light weight hose to the sprayer).

Finally, I like a desiccant at the gun. The link looks a bit overpriced, but I liked the picture and description. If you don't have much humidity, one of these at the gun and your seperator before your hose should diminish the need for everthing else I noted.

daedong

Sorry about the poor pics.

The canister on the left with the knob has a little tube that runs down to the bottom of the canister as if it was to pick up for something. I did speak to a neighbor this morning about it and he thought it was an oiler, for lubricating pruning shears, He said they were common years ago in the district. So that’s what I am leaning to believe it is.

[FONT=&quot]I am having some doubts about painting; I only have a small air compressor a cheap made in China job. I bought it a few weeks ago to replace the clapped out heap of shit that I used to pump up tires. Its 21/2 HP. To have gone any bigger was going to cost heaps more. With the compressor came with this crappy gun, which I was going to use, am I being a little ambitious trying to paint a boat with this.
gun.jpg
com.jpg

[/FONT]

daedong said:
Did not know what forum to post this so I thought here would get good exposure.

I am just about ready to spray paint my boat. Spray painting is something I have never done before; consequently I am on a step learning curve. I understand that compressors for spraying painting should have moisture filters.

So today I went hunting through all my trinket boxes and I found this. Will it do the trick, how does it work, is it just positioned on the air outlet what else can you tell me about it?
filters.jpg

One side is for mustard and the other side is for mayonaise. :a1:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
If that thing is a true 2.5HP (roughly 10A of 240V) , I think you'll be fine. More likely it's more like 1HP running, that will be about 3 or 4 CFM @ 100psi [my air math is rusty though so double check my figures].

I'd bet you can tune to gun to work with around that output (you'll be regulating down to maybe 25psi or something [looks like pressure instead of HVLP, but not positive: did it have specs for you to set the regulator?]). However, if it's a hot &/or humid day, you'll need all the water knock out you can get.

As far as over ambitious: I don't have natural talent, so I need at least semi-decent tools to make up a little difference.....but give it a try, if you have any talent you might do better with that setup than I could with the best made! :thumb:

daedong

Yesterday I etch primed; gee this is difficult to do, I felt like a chook with its head cut off, I was going around in circles unsure of what I was doing but we got it on in the end, looks fair. I have found a few spots where it has gone on a bit thin around rails and awkward spots. I think I will leave them (never saw them so to speak) hope and pray it will be ok and move on with the next priming step.
Edit
[FONT=&quot]BTW I think I heard it was 25c and 28% humidity here yesterday[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
paintside2.jpg
[/FONT]

daedong

I’m tickled pink the way this turned out for a bum that has never spray painted anything serious. After I etch prime with a suction gun. I decided to buy a set of three HVLP spray guns from a big box store for $140, I think this was a wise move. Then I decided to couple the old and new compressor together to get more volume that was a good move I think as well, worked well. It was a long process, first 1 etch primmer then 2 coats of acrylic primmer, 4 coats of acrylic lacquer, light rub down with a 3M red scrubber, then 2 more coats of acrylic lacquer. I did not want a high gloss so I just hand rubbed it with diamond cutting compound just to take any little fury bits off.
The pattern on the sides was painted also, I just masked up and gave 4 coats, finished,

sorry about the quality of pic, best i could take, cheap bloody camera.

[FONT=&quot]
DSC_0261.jpg
[/FONT]

JimR

Charter Member
Super job you did there. I use epoxy primer to go over the old finish and lock it in. I've been meaning to get a HVLP gun. How did you like it? How is the overspray with it?

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice boat mate! Looks like you got this boat building thing down :thumb:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
daedong said:
I’m tickled pink the way this turned out for a bum that has never spray painted anything serious. After I etch prime with a suction gun. I decided to buy a set of three HVLP spray guns from a big box store for $140, I think this was a wise move. Then I decided to couple the old and new compressor together to get more volume that was a good move I think as well, worked well. It was a long process, first 1 etch primmer then 2 coats of acrylic primmer, 4 coats of acrylic lacquer, light rub down with a 3M red scrubber, then 2 more coats of acrylic lacquer. I did not want a high gloss so I just hand rubbed it with diamond cutting compound just to take any little fury bits off.
The pattern on the sides was painted also, I just masked up and gave 4 coats, finished,

[FONT=&quot]
DSC_0261.jpg
[/FONT]

Why to go Vin............:thumb:

Great job.................... :applause:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It looks GREAT!

The pic is fine but the camera is living in the past :yankchain:

Jim

daedong said:

[FONT=&quot]
DSC_0261.jpg
[/FONT]

mlang2005

Looks great! I feel sorry for the guy who puts the first ding in it, he had better be wearing his life jacket when you throw him overboard.