• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Apparently my house is older than I thought.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Does anyone know when indoor plumbing became popular in the mid-west?

I started gutting the "original" bathroom in my house only to find that it is clearly not original to the house. The walls are built in front of the plaster on the adjoining walls and ceiling and the water supply lines and DWV stack are hacked in to the wall cavities. I always thought the bathroom was original to the house because it is located in the "old" part of the house...the "new addition" was put on in the 20's :yum:

I have scoured the basement and I can't find any evidence of older plumbing than what is there now, so I can only conclude there wasn't any and there was an outhouse on the property. What I can't figure out though is the kitchen...it is currently in the "new addition" and I have never found any evidence of it being located in the old section.

Actually, an idea just came to me as I was typing this. I wonder if there was an older structure that was torn down to build the "new addition" in the 1920's?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Usually an addition was added on wherever they could build it easily . My best guess is early to mid 1930's . I started seeing built in bathroom units in the late 1930's homes . I think it was mostly outhouses before that unless you have one of them old fancy homes .

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Before...

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 020.jpg