• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Oh man, my Army Ranger son just got orders to deploy to Afghanistan.

marchplumber

Site Supporter
Glad he is alright! Been keep in him in our prayers!! Exactly what are we "doing over there" now? What is their actual mission? Pray he and all others come home safe and whole, mind body and spirit!
God bless
Tony

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
He is a Special Forces Army Ranger officer. All I know is that he is to search out 'high value' Taliban personnel along the Afghanistan/Pakistan boarder. Literally the most dangerous job at the most dangerous place on earth for our military.

He said he gets another 'bar' or something for having been in actual combat. I strongly would have preferred that he would not have seen combat and literally have heard bullets whizzing past his head. I'm sorry, but I do not value their entire country as much as I do my son.

RedRocker

Considering the fool we have for a CIC I don't know how you sleep at night.
I pray your son & his fellows return safely, in spite of the idiot running the show.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Unfortunately my son was in a firefight during their patrol last night. He was in charge and got all of his men to cover and radioed in for air cover. Denied! :hammer: Only when they were getting low on ammo and attacking Taliban group grew larger did they get cover. As soon as cover was approved, before any arrived, Taliban scattered. It seems as if they have some of our radios or traitors in Afghan Army assisting them! Either way, as a parent, I say we bomb them to hell and leave!

This makes me fucking angry. I'm a Navy Vietnam Veteran. I think every soldier should be treated as if they were the president's kids. Would Obama, Bush or Clinton deny their daughters air cover? Fuck no!

I agree with you. Bomb the hell out of them. When Tom Tancredo was running for president during the 2008 cycle, he passionately said if he was president, he would bomb Mecca and then tell the bastards to STFU! That is what we need to do right now!

I'm tired of overpaid politicians sitting around doing NOTHING while heros are being denied back up. Give the fucking politicians M-16s and ship their sorry asses over their.

Sorry for being a potty mouth.....FUCK!

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo, I'm praying for you son and I hope everyone here is doing the same.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
He is a Special Forces Army Ranger officer. All I know is that he is to search out 'high value' Taliban personnel along the Afghanistan/Pakistan boarder. Literally the most dangerous job at the most dangerous place on earth for our military.

He said he gets another 'bar' or something for having been in actual combat. I strongly would have preferred that he would not have seen combat and literally have heard bullets whizzing past his head. I'm sorry, but I do not value their entire country as much as I do my son.

Part of me is saddened that he had to experience combat, but another part of me is glad that he got the chance; a person
learns things about himself and his companion in the caldron of fire that he seldom has a chance to learn elsewhere, and
those lessons are valuable all through life. I hope you can understand this seeming contradiction and that I pray for
his safe return.

The denial of air cover was likely the decision of some REMF ... and your son can tell you how much those guys are valued
by the troops at the pointy end of the sword. :ermm:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks to everyone. I kept telling myself that out of a couple million in the military that there are really only a few thousand solders really serving in extremely dangerous situations and are in combat. I figured the odds of him immediately being where he is would be slim. Now that he leads troops into the most dangerous places in the world just leaves me a nervous wreck and short tempered with those who tell me "that's what he signed up for".

I don't honestly think many really believe they will spend each day searching houses and caves for Taliban leaders.

RedRocker

He may have signed up on his own, but everybody in the service deserves a leader & a country that is 100% behind them & backs them to the hilt. This POS we have now is a feckless fool risking American lives with no clear plan for success. Makes me want to puke!

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
"that's what he signed up for" also included 'he signed up thinking he would have back' up could be your response.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing new. Not even his usual text to his mother telling her that he is okay.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I was younger I did not consider or understand what parents went through when they had a son or daughter actively fighting our wars. Prayers for your whole family Brent. It has to be so tough.

marchplumber

Site Supporter
Heard anything? Will ALWAYS be praying for him and your family!! Best wishes for ALL! I agree with Doc, when I was in uniform, I never even "thought" about what I put my parents through. I didn't do it intentionally, but did it all the same.

God bless,
Tony

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
For Easter, he found a booby trap IED inside a 1 bedroom cave after he and his interpreter questioned some locals.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 141

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Entrance to 1 bedroom apartment

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 143

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Booby trapped IED. I'm not sure why I had to make a separate post for each pic, but I'm doing it on my phone. Anyway the Easter present was that, as the leading officer, he found the IED before it was tripped.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 146

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent great photos. Glad your son is safe!!!

As for the 1 photo thing, that seems to be an iPhone/iPad issue on the forum sites. Only 1 photo can be loaded from those devices . . . at least that is all I can figure out how to load. But on a regular computer you can load up more. Not sure why there is a limitation on the iPad/iPhone devices.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Best Easter present ever is to have him safe. Especially as leading officer. :eek:

I use ForumRunner and can upload multiple pics in a post. It costs 99 cents or so but is by far the best way to read and post on forums with your smart phone or tablet.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not surprised that he found and properly dealt with that IED, considering what day it was. The Easter Bunny always
watches over our troops going in harm's way!

bunny-soldier.jpg

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope you're not violating any OPSEC or PERSEC.

The pics he is allowed to send me are heavily screened before he can send them to me. I have never seen a single glimpse of Fenty or of any real identifiable landmark. We all know IED's are common there as are tens of thousands of small caves inhabited by people who are not so good. The face of his 'terp' is never seen either.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday the MRAP in front of the one my son had his squad in hit an IED. The Ranger officer (my son's equal in that truck) in that truck lost his right arm, right leg, has several broken ribs and other injuries. The other six soldiers in the truck received numerous injuries as well. My son said the explosion was strong enough that he said the MRAP (not a small vehicle) flipped at least 4 times in the air and another 2 or 3 times on the ground after being blown up. There were pieces of shrapnel imbedded deep into the vehicle my son was commanding, but nobody in his truck was injured.

He was considerably rattled and extremely angered after being the officer in charge of getting the injured out of the destroyed MRAP and demanding air evacuation for the most seriously injured. He now has the unfortunate first hand experience of pulling seriously wounded men from a mangled and burning military vehicle and keeping them alive until they could get air cover and then air medical evacuations. He commented that he re-injured his left hand (the hand where a sniper's bullet lodged last month when he was shot) because he still has no real feeling in that hand.

What is really bad IMHO is that we don't even hear about this stuff still going on each day in Afghanistan and now Iraq. It seems like the mostly forgotten war but we still have some of our most elite soldiers there. Unfortunately, so few though that the US was unable to put together a successful rescue mission to save the journalist who had his head cut off last week. Those people are just plain sick and have been killing each other since recorded history. I have to be politically incorrect and say 'bullshit' when someone says Islam is a religion of peace. Any religion that says that it's followers must kill those who do not actively practice the religion or belong to another religion is a very sick religion and a religion of terror.

*clarification*
He now said it was a car bomb attack and the vehicle rammed the first MRAP. Apparently the soldiers recognized the driver as an Afghan they'd talked to for several months and were late in properly responding and opening up their .50 cal on him. I also heard that last week, as they were pulling out of a village that several of the villagers opened fire on them as they were leaving and had their backs turned. All he said about that was that those "mud huts" they live in will stop 5.56 rounds no problem, but their .50 cal truck mounted heavy machine gun makes "a real mess" out of them. Those people are animals. Shooting soldiers in the back who just brought you supplies and food?! I can't post what I think we ought to do.

marchplumber

Site Supporter
Prayers offered. It's a dark world and most don't even realize how VERY THIN the wall is that insulates them from danger!! There are rough and dangerous men standing in harms way so "we" can be safe. God bless and protect them ALL!

God bless
Tony

RedRocker

But we are up to date on all the very important federal shit in Ferguson Mo! And Barry hasn't let anything cause him to miss a tee time. And CNN is covering the funeral of a common thief while ignoring the funeral of the highest ranking General
killed in action since VN. We live in a fucked up world my friend, run by feckelss idiots
elected by dumb asses.

SShepherd

Yesterday the MRAP in front of the one my son had his squad in hit an IED. The Ranger officer (my son's equal in that truck) in that truck lost his right arm, right leg, has several broken ribs and other injuries. The other six soldiers in the truck received numerous injuries as well. My son said the explosion was strong enough that he said the MRAP (not a small vehicle) flipped at least 4 times in the air and another 2 or 3 times on the ground after being blown up. There were pieces of shrapnel imbedded deep into the vehicle my son was commanding, but nobody in his truck was injured.

He was considerably rattled and extremely angered after being the officer in charge of getting the injured out of the destroyed MRAP and demanding air evacuation for the most seriously injured. He now has the unfortunate first hand experience of pulling seriously wounded men from a mangled and burning military vehicle and keeping them alive until they could get air cover and then air medical evacuations. He commented that he re-injured his left hand (the hand where a sniper's bullet lodged last month when he was shot) because he still has no real feeling in that hand.

What is really bad IMHO is that we don't even hear about this stuff still going on each day in Afghanistan and now Iraq. It seems like the mostly forgotten war but we still have some of our most elite soldiers there. Unfortunately, so few though that the US was unable to put together a successful rescue mission to save the journalist who had his head cut off last week. Those people are just plain sick and have been killing each other since recorded history. I have to be politically incorrect and say 'bullshit' when someone says Islam is a religion of peace. Any religion that says that it's followers must kill those who do not actively practice the religion or belong to another religion is a very sick religion and a religion of terror.

*clarification*
He now said it was a car bomb attack and the vehicle rammed the first MRAP. Apparently the soldiers recognized the driver as an Afghan they'd talked to for several months and were late in properly responding and opening up their .50 cal on him. I also heard that last week, as they were pulling out of a village that several of the villagers opened fire on them as they were leaving and had their backs turned. All he said about that was that those "mud huts" they live in will stop 5.56 rounds no problem, but their .50 cal truck mounted heavy machine gun makes "a real mess" out of them. Those people are animals. Shooting soldiers in the back who just brought you supplies and food?! I can't post what I think we ought to do.
THIS is why they need someone with some balls to rewrite the ROE . No locals can be trusted, simple as that. Regardless of how "friendly" they have been there's always the possibility they can be leveraged into killing americans.
Security need to seriously be scrutinized and policy/procedures put in place so that the lives of our soldiers are singularly important.