• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Carport recommendations?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm going to be harvesting a lot of firewood this year. More than the permanent woodshed can hold.

So, I'm looking for some temporary shelters to store the firewood and like the size of the quasi-standard 10x20' carports.

I had one like what's pictured below and it worked well until the plastic tarp material gave out after a few years.

Does anyone have any thoughts on brands, tarp materials... that are reasonably inexpensive but relatively durable?

I may need about 3 of them to hold the wood. For me to go through that amount of wood, they may be in place for upwards of 7-8 years. Am I expecting too much for a canvas type carport to last that long?

carportIMG_0048large.JPG

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
73x200 looks good to me but I don't think Mrs. Zoom would like to see that in the yard...

I looked at some of the smaller ones. They're pretty pricey. E.g. their 10x20 is $1015. I was hoping to get that size for $250 or less or maybe I have wishful thinking that I can get something to last 8 years for that price.

BTW, I do have some 3x12' corrugated steel panels. If these canvas carports really are going to be expensive, I could take that money and build more pole buildings. Hate to do that for a short duration need. The cheapest way is just to lay those panels on the wood but I did that in the past and it was a PITA for 1-2 years. Hate to do it for an 8 year need.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Why not just stack the wood on pallets to get it off the ground and cover with a good truck tarp ?? It would look a hella a lot better than a bunch of little canvas buildings blowing around in the wind .