• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Municipal water?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Am I the only one that can't stand the smell of municipal water? Every time I smell it, I think I am at the swimming pool because of the chlorine.

Our house has nice clean well water with no sulphur smell to it.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine occasionally has a sulfur smell, but it's better than that chlorine smell.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Mine occasionally has a sulfur smell, but it's better than that chlorine smell.

My well does that every once in a while in Calif . It turned out to be a bacteria in the Water heater tank . A flushing of a quart of Bleach , added at the well head, kills the bacteria instantly . I just turn on the hot water tap until I can smell the bleach and then turn it off ,letting it work for a hour or so . Then run the taps to no bleach smell and your done . Our County health dept recommends it be done once a year as preventive maintance . JMO

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Am I the only one that can't stand the smell of municipal water? Every time I smell it, I think I am at the swimming pool because of the chlorine.

Our house has nice clean well water with no sulphur smell to it.

I don't miss our city water at all. Living in the country with a shared well is great. And we don't have any sulphur smell to it either.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
A flushing of a quart of Bleach , added at the well head, kills the bacteria instantly . I just turn on the hot water tap until I can smell the bleach and then turn it off ,letting it work for a hour or so .

I've seen where they recommend a 24 hour soak with bleach. We just can't make do for that period of time. An hour yes.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I've seen where they recommend a 24 hour soak with bleach. We just can't make do for that period of time. An hour yes.
An Hour works for me ... I honestly don't remember what the health dept reconmends . 24hours would be tough around here .

In Panama I bleach the lines, change the filters when we first arrive . It seems to do the job . No one has got sick or had the squits

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
municipal water is fine for laundry and showers - but not for drinking.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
You folks are lucky that can get well water. My well is lost, though there was one here, one day I hope to find it again. I think I know where it is as I have dowsed for it, I just hope I can reinstate it and it has usable water. My water bill is high as I live on a smallholding and I object to paying for the filthy stuff, full of chemicals, which they call water.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Living on top of the mountain I have good water although it is extremely hard with calcium and magnesium. The purity has been tested and with the elevation it will stay that way. I had spring water at my old place and it had so much flow it filled the pond I built in the lower end of the pasture. Never could get used to chlorinated water. I can taste it even in a fountain soda.