• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

When your water softner goes bad?????

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you get alot of sand like particles that plug up everything????? Not sand but small granular clear grains?? I am on city water.

Trakternut

City water can have sand particles in it. It's just one of those things. There're screens on the Vactor truck to catch stuff like that in the clean water supply for the jetter. One screen where the water enters the tanks via a fire hydrant, another on the outlet side of the tanks where the water goes to the pump. Both of those screens regularly have small stones in them, about the size of a #2 pencil lead.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am talking alot none of the neighbors are complaining. Plugging everything in the house up all at once.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
mbsieg, have your water heater checked. There was a recall a few years back regarding defective water heaters. Can't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was the pipe that is supposed to send the incoming cold water to the bottom of the tank. For some reason, that pipe deteriorated and caused problems like you described. Plus the problem will cause you to run out of hot water quickly.

Let us know what you find out.

Bob

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a filter in line before the water gets into the water softener, it seems to eliminate that problem completely. The filter is a simple unit I bought at Sears and users replaceable cartridges, depending on our water use, I can typically get 2 to 3 months out of a filter. The filters cost under $5.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Re: When your water softener goes bad?????

Do you get alot of sand like particles that plug up everything????? Not sand but small granular clear grains?? I am on city water.

Water softeners have screen in the bottom of the bottle that holds them in the bottle for treating the hardness of the water, most are a brownish to clearish color and pretty small and shiny, about the size of a pen point or smaller. If you have one that may have knocked the screen that keeps them in the bottle (softener) at the bottom, they could be rinsing out and down the drain during use or back flushing. Hold a bright light against one side, you can see the level of the resin beads on some models, it should be about 7/8's full. Had that happen on an older model and the water kept getting worse and worse until I took it apart and inspected it. Put new resin in it and replaced the filter on the suction line and it lasted a few more years.