• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Home Air Condition Maintenance 101

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I could fix that for you for a price??:mrgreen:

I can afford the new furnace and A/C, it's the cost of adding insulation to a 100 year old farmhouse with plaster and lathe walls that I can't afford.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Next, check your fan motor for an oil port and oil if required. Follow manufacturers instructions! Remember.....don't over lubricate the motor bearings. Usually, "a little dab will do ya"! Too much oil can spill over onto the motor windings and cause a short.

Keep in mind, there are usually two oil ports on the ones that require oiling.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 24

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I can afford the new furnace and A/C, it's the cost of adding insulation to a 100 year old farmhouse with plaster and lathe walls that I can't afford.

I know people that fix you right up there too for a price :mrgreen:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Keep in mind, there are usually two oil ports on the ones that require oiling.

Yeah and if you put more than two or three drops of oil in them spots per year your Heating and Air Conditioning Company can sell you a new motor. :mrgreen:

Cityboy

Banned
Two things I want to add. You all notice Cityboy when spraying the coil is in all pictures but one spraying from the inside out. That is good. In one picture you might think he is spraying from the outside in which you don't want to do. But he really is just spraying the lifted dirt down and not back in deeper. The coil type he is cleaning is whats called a "Spiny Fin Coil" They will typically catch more dirt than the "Fin and Tube" coil and is much tougher to get the dirt out of it. Some techs will take a vacuum cleaner first on a Spiny Fin to get as much out as possible first.

A Fin and Tube Coil is much like the radiator of your car and yet it still needs to have the water sprayed from the inside out.

murph

Good call Murph!

And I'll also add that if you are going to use a vacuum, use the soft brush attachment so you don't flatten the fins. They are a bitch to straighten out, especially the spiney fins on Trane condensers. Also, you can use a vac to suck up the dead mice, lizards and leaves from the bottom of the condensing unit before you start washing.

Take your time and don't get in a hurry, and wait to reward yourself with a beer AFTER you have reassembled the unit and it is running again. :beer:

Cityboy

Banned
Yeah and if you put more than two or three drops of oil in them spots per year your Heating and Air Conditioning Company can sell you a new motor. :mrgreen:

Especially that top oil port that drips down on your windings. That one is the two dropper!
icon10.gif

I can tell OTC is a sharp inspector! Those were two EXCELLENT catches. Again, good eye!! :thumb:

urednecku

Site Supporter
Thanks PB.

Yeah, Murps a perv...but that was Citygirl in the photo. I ain't gonna let all you pervs check out my 16 YO daughter...:glare:

Citygirl would probably smack the crap outta me if she knew she was in this thread. :slap:
In that case, why didn't ya move the camera to the right just a little??:brows: We wouldn't tell, scouts honor!!

Dave, I hear ya. My brother lives in Mom's house, which was built in about 1923. He priced it, and was told it would cost about $14,000 to install central. Most of that was for re-wiring the whole house. I'm not sure if that included insulation and sealing the ceiling & floor, but I doubt it.

dzalphakilo

Banned
You've just increased service calls across the U.S by 20%:clap:

Nice job by the way.

What's with the gray? :D

Funny, we may even look alike.

And weren't you the one always busting my chops about wearing "tree hugger" sandals? What are those you'rer wearing on your feet? :rolf2:

Forgot to ask, what's the primary "set up" for residential forced air systems out in Oklahoma? (heat pump/ gas-a/c, horizontal in crawl space or upflow in basement). Any oil units out there?

Attachments

• CB.jpg
    CB.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 26
  • cb2.jpg
    cb2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

dzalphakilo

Banned
what are you doing up so dang early???

If the question was posed to myself, I get up at least by 5 every morning, feed the six dogs and three cats, let them out, make coffee, log on the computer, go to the store to get the paper, then at 6:30 wake my wife up because she has to go to chuch earlier than myself because see sings (pretty cool comtempory praise band), then I finally take a shower, and get over to church to meet my wife.

If the question wasn't posed to me, I just gave you too much information:mrgreen: