• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rubber insulation

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I gotta ask guys, what is a box store? Is it some kind of DIY supply store? Or does it just describe a store where you pick stuff out the packing boxes? :confused:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith said:
I gotta ask guys, what is a box store? Is it some kind of DIY supply store? Or does it just describe a store where you pick stuff out the packing boxes? :confused:

Home Depot and Lowes are two of the biggest "box stores". Not exactly sure where the "box store" name came from.

The stores are shaped like big boxes, a lot of their products are displayed in brown cardboard boxes, you can buy big boxes of stuff there . . .

http://www.homedepot.com

http://www.lowes.com

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Brian; I finally got around to sealing up the 2 windows with the sealant. It was pretty hard squeezing the tube, like you mentioned. So, I just cut more of the nozzle off and made a bigger hole. I had to dig out a small amount that had set before I could use it too. I wonder if this stuff comes in a caulking gun size tube?:tiphat: :beer:

Bob; How'd you make out? :wave: :beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I cut a good chunk off the nozzle as well.
Sounds like yours was a bit better although you had some dried up stuff as well.
I really didn't want to cut off that much of the nozzle since I wanted to squeeze it between the door and its frame (which isn't very large). I now have a coat across the front more than between to fill the gap.

I haven't seen it in a caulk gun size but have heard some mfgr(s) are putting it in a cheese wiz type can. Don't know if I'd like that as it's too hard to control the flow.

BTW - Why does all of that triple-expansion foam stuff dry up (in an unused can) if you don't use it within about 2 weeks of buying it? It just won't come out of the can... :(

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
BTW - Why does all of that triple-expansion foam stuff dry up (in an unused can) if you don't use it within about 2 weeks of buying it? It just won't come out of the can... :([/QUOTE]

I've never had that happen to an unused can. It has happened with ones that I didn't use the whole can. I usually use the minimal expanding type, maybe that's why. I dinnanu.

In my earlier years, I had 3 or 4 cans that were partially used. Instead of throwing them in the garbage, I thought I'd have some fun. I set the cans up 60 paces away, and nailed them with my Bush Master. Man, that stuff goes all over. On trees, weeds, rocks, or anything within range!!! Oh, did I say that was last summer?:4_11_9: :beer: :beer:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
If you thoroughly clean the hose and the top of the can with acetone it won't dry up. Takes a good amount of acetone or some patience with a QTip - I usually just soak it in acetone for a while and dissolve anything that could dry up (more).

PB

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
johnday said:
I set the cans up 60 paces away, and nailed them with my Bush Master. Man, that stuff goes all over. On trees, weeds, rocks, or anything within range!!! Oh, did I say that was last summer?
John,
It's been a year now... Is all the foam still stuck to the trees and such? I like the idea but don't want to make the same kind of mess as I did utilizing the same method to dispose of paint.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh yeah, it's still there!! Probably will be for awhile too. I don't know how long it takes for the mean old UV rays to destroy it. Ya oughta try it once, it's pretty neat.:rofl1: :beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
johnday said:
Oh yeah, it's still there!! Probably will be for awhile too. I don't know how long it takes for the mean old UV rays to destroy it. Ya oughta try it once, it's pretty neat.:rofl1: :beer:
I'm sure it is neat. I think I'll take all my cans over to the neighbors range and offer 1/2 of the targets to him.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump.

Off to the store today and need to get more of the stuff to seal the doors for this winter. Had to find this thread so I could get the product name.

After re-reading the thread:

B_Skurka said:
Weatherstipping is legit according to our fire marshall. We had covered the door with with 3M film and didn't like that, but he suggested some sort of non-permanent weather stripping. This goo stuff sounds perfect. It doesn't actually adhere to anything the way that silicone sealer would. The key is the crash bar must still work so no glue type adhesive sealer could be used.
Bob - Don't use this stuff to seal the cracks between the door and the frame. The door will not open until this caulk is removed.

DaveNay said:
OH MY GAWD!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!!

SERIOUSLY!!!

We bought this farm in late winter 2003, and the sellers had used this stuff on every single window in the house, and now I still only have about 2/3 of the windows operable again. Some of the windows (and all of the remaining ones) I have had to remove the interior trim molding so that I can remove enough of this gunk to make the windows openable. The instructions also claim that it does not stick to paint, but every one of my windows needs to be repainted after removing this gunk. Even the stained windows look like a layer has been removed.

I highly recomend that you avoid this type of product. Bad bad bad bad mojo.
Dave - I used the Liquid Nails Windjammer product. It came off with no issues this spring. I just pulled another piece off a minute ago to see what it acts like after 1 year. It pealed right off, again with no residue (on a stained surface). Not sure if the products are different or the application. :confused2: