• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

4x4, off road?

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Anyone go 4x4ing, greenlaning?

I have done a bit on a Suzuki SJ, but it has no mods, so its best too keep it on the safe side.
There are a couple of green lanes around here that we have run, most are pretty easy, but one in particular is quite challenging. When it rains the mud can be unexpectedly deep. There are some very deep ditches that look small when water filled. Some very near rollovers there.
We also run a very unchallenging track quite regularly, though it does have some mud-pits part way along. It nice to see stuck trucks in there :D

I would love to do more mudding, and would make a custom machine, but as it is, with so little rain, there is no mud!

Anyone else?

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't do hardcore mudbogging, but lately yes I've done a little. Jan and I bought a Yamaha Rhino, a 450. We've run the backroads upnorth with it. This past week, I took it thru the swamp at the back of my property, took a break ya know. I went thru and over stuff that would have stopped my TC. Unbelievable 'till you try it.
Years ago, I ruined my first 4X4 truck, a Dodge Power Wagon. Since then, I've a little easier on the full size iron. Now the Rhino? Who knows what evil lurks.:tiphat::beer::beer:

daedong

Mith, rarely see mud but I love taking to the sand dunes. I’ve got a little Kia Sportage and in the sand I will back it against any other 4WD out there. A couple of years back I went out with a group (½ dozen) cars, Landcruisers and Nissans. We traveled about 30km through sand dunes and the Kia just played with then, so much for the $80,000 Toyotas. Mind you the Kia will die by the time its done 160,000km and the Toyotas will only be just run in.
[FONT=&quot]In my younger day I was a typical outback yahoo lad that lived for cars, wrecked plenty. One of the best things we use to do was ski behind the car on the salt lakes. We would get an old bonnet, the type that curved like the bow of a boat. Turn it upside-down put an old tyre in it to sit on and tie it to the car on a long rope. The best fun, a little dangerous but no worse than many other things we done.[/FONT]

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing hard core for me, but I do go into the sand dunes from time to time. I also drive on my property in the fields, but that is typically to haul something out to a point where I need it. I've actually gotten closer to getting stuck on my own property than in the sand. If it gets wet in my fields the clay tends to fill the tires and turn them into slicks.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I see the kids here during the winter attach a ski rope to an atv and sit on a tire. Down the street they go. Carzy? Yes. Stupid? Oh yah but man they sure have fun.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Vin, we use a bonnet for sledging on down the hills when it snows, they are way better than sledges!
We also made a board from the gearbox support from a Ford Feista, its just the right shape and even has a towing eye. It works best down the road (late at night :whistle:

Bob, I know what you mean about the clay. Clogs up and sticks to anything.

cj7

I four wheel all the time. Mostly trail riding but have been part of a team for RockCrawling competions the past two years.

I have been stuck and I have rolled. I have also done many obstacles that I thought I would not be able to make.

Love fourwheeling!