• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Soon There Will Be 8 Billion of Us

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We will starve those numbers down so we can make ethanol to ruin our vehicles with. :hammer:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We've past the six billion mark, what's two billion more? :D

Big numbers like that are truly hard to fathom. How do we feed the 6.2 billion we have on the planet right now?

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
grow_more_food_large.jpg

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The Japan situation will wipe out at least 5 billion or so. I read it somewhere.......

richard86

Have you ever thought about how much land we have that is sitting idle? I live in Nebraska, and farmers are still getting paid to not farm ground. Just where I live there are many thousands of acres just sitting. Farm equipment has gotten so big that one farmer can do the job of what it took many to do years ago. Producing enough food will not be a problem.

I also don't understand the whole ethanol where burning our food complaints. The byproduct of making the ethanol is fed to cattle in feedlots. Corn is renewable every year. American farmers produce it. I don't like the fact that the government subsidizes it, but at least American farmers are getting the money. The amount of money that farmers get from the government is a blip compared to what those idiots in Washington waste on a lot of things. Especially welfare. I can't stand that we pay people to do nothing.

Rich

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
The thing with the land that they are getting paid not to farm is that it's poor farm ground. The yields are so low that they can't justify the input costs especially when weighed against what the government will pay them to plant it to grass.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
"I don't like the fact that the government subsidizes it,"

There ya go

loboloco

The thing with the land that they are getting paid not to farm is that it's poor farm ground. The yields are so low that they can't justify the input costs especially when weighed against what the government will pay them to plant it to grass.
Actually, not so. Some of the most productive land in the country is 'banked'. It is more profitable to plant it only occasionally and have the government write a check for several years than it is to actually keep it in production.

richard86

Ethanol has been subsidized from the get go. I'm sure it's not the most efficient way to get energy, but it's a renewable resource that can be renewed yearly. The byproduct can be used to make beef, and the money stays in the U.S.. So even with it's drawbacks, I don't get the huge backlash it's getting.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
15% lower mpg with it.
Drove the price of food out of sight.
Makes it almost unaffordable to feed to cattle as a primary food.
Has not helped the current situation one little bit and they charge just as much for it as the real deal.
Destroys my older vehicle fuel systems.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The byproduct of making the ethanol is fed to cattle in feedlots. Corn is renewable every year. American farmers produce it.

Even with the subsidies, corn is beyond reasonably priced, because, supply and demand.

Yes, the byproduct is being fed to hogs. Hog meat is changing. Making sausages with pork has changed recently. The byproduct is crap food. We will "pay" for this for a long time, and have no idea what the issues arriving from feeding our food byproducts.

Ya, the farmers love it.

richard86

15% lower mpg with it.
Has not helped the current situation one little bit and they charge just as much for it as the real deal.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I have to challenge you a bit. I'm a big Glenn Beck fan, so he had me all riled up over our food prices skyrocketing. So I ask the wife if she's noticed our food bill going up. She's a frugal as they come and she hasn't noticed, so we pull out recipts from last year. Milk was a few cents higher but everything else was the same or a little cheaper! I was shocked. Made me wonder about Glenn a little.

I'm willing to live with the fuel efficiency to keep my dollars in America. I'm a mechanic I have old vehicles, I work on a lot of old and newer trucks and cars. The only problem I've run into is a few customers who tried E85 in pickups that were not flex-fuel and they started hard in the cold. I myself would not run E85 in a non flex-fuel. Other than that no issues here.

The price of corn and cattle is above my head, I'm not economically savy enough to get that. I would think with the price of corn no one would want to even buy cattle. But look at the price of cattle. And the feedlots here are packed. When I was in high school I paid $500 for bred heifers. Just this week stinking a bottle calf here sold for $400! I don't get it. Maybe the price of meat has gone up. My son has cattle so we get our meat from him, so I may be out of touch there. That's my 2 cents. I'm just thinking there is a lot of hype out there.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Where I see food price inflation is in the packaging. Many people aren't paying attention to their canned and packaged goods. They have shrunk a little. Some items are as much as 20% increase....sugar no longer 5lb bags but 4lb is an example.

SShepherd

Where I see food price inflation is in the packaging. Many people aren't paying attention to their canned and packaged goods. They have shrunk a little. Some items are as much as 20% increase....sugar no longer 5lb bags but 4lb is an example.
and it the same price!!!!

I've noticed it alot. Tuna is now 1oz less percan, and the same price. Dirty basrtards are pullin a sneaky on us, and most don't realize it.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
15% lower mpg with it.

What about the FACT that corn based ethanol as a fuel is a net energy loss - meaning it takes more energy to produce than it contains...

Oops.

richard86

Great point CityGirl, we actually have noticed that. And it slipped my mind. Where it gets me the most is candy bars (my main food group).

richard86

What about the FACT that corn based ethanol as a fuel is a net energy loss - meaning it takes more energy to produce than it contains...

Oops.

I must be in an argumentative mood today, and I really have no dog in this hunt. Although I do come from a farm family and some of my relates are farmer ranchers. And I think we have taken our family farmers for granted.

Anyhow I'm sceptacle of that fact. No I have no evidence but I think studies usually have an agenda behind them. You show me one against and I'll bet I can find one for it. It's just a hunch I have, kinda like global warming, I didn't believe that one from the start.

Even then my argument would be we are taking a yearly renewable fuel source and converting it to a portable fuel you can burn in your car. It's hard to put coal in your fuel tank.

SShepherd

I must be in an argumentative mood today, and I really have no dog in this hunt. Although I do come from a farm family and some of my relates are farmer ranchers. And I think we have taken our family farmers for granted.

Anyhow I'm sceptacle of that fact. No I have no evidence but I think studies usually have an agenda behind them. You show me one against and I'll bet I can find one for it. It's just a hunch I have, kinda like global warming, I didn't believe that one from the start.

Even then my argument would be we are taking a yearly renewable fuel source and converting it to a portable fuel you can burn in your car. It's hard to put coal in your fuel tank.

the burden of proof is on you with this one..prove that it's not a net loss.

I can think of 2 easy ones that would produce more, faster than corn--sugarbeets and carrots

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I would think with the price of corn no one would want to even buy cattle. But look at the price of cattle. And the feedlots here are packed. When I was in high school I paid $500 for bred heifers. Just this week stinking a bottle calf here sold for $400! I don't get it. Maybe the price of meat has gone up. My son has cattle so we get our meat from him, so I may be out of touch there. That's my 2 cents. I'm just thinking there is a lot of hype out there.

Where do you come up with this?????????
Beef prices are UP at least 30% over last year. This week's B50 were 1.02 USDA blue average. B85 went up over 2bucks. Last year, highest b50 was about .75, lowest about .50. High for B85 last year was 1.75 or so, low was 1.50.
Feed lots are full? USDA reports cattle production is down at least 10%, AND, calves are down 30%. Or is the USDA lying? Is JBS and Tyson lying?
Hogs are worse - double last year's price.
I bought PRIME+ Strips last year once at $3.85 or so; now they are around $6.85.
Corn was 3.50, now it's 7.85.
Sounds like you have a farmer's WINDFALL PROFIT to protect. Worse than a damn oil company I tell ya. Doubling your price in a year. You need to be taxed. Excessively.:whistling:

Prices are the same at the store? Yup - we took 16oz packages down to 12 oz or 14oz packages so same price per unit per dc requests.

What a load, prices the same.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Not only are commodity prices up but the end product is rising rapidly as well. Even the government now concedes at least a 5% increase in food prices and this will be even higher as fuel costs go up. IF we had a choice of running ethanol as a lower price alternative it might be better received. I have had to contact the folks who buy beef from me and get commitments to pay the higher prices or I could not afford to buy feeders and feed this year.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Just like in Nature, the animals rise to where they can't get the food they need and then die off in mass...

Our cycles are just a bit longer... And we will do it in bright flashes!:ermm:

richard86

the burden of proof is on you with this one..prove that it's not a net loss.

I can think of 2 easy ones that would produce more, faster than corn--sugarbeets and carrots

I know I would need proof, but it doesn't matter to me, I'm just flappin my gums as the saying goes. Like I said, I got no dog in the hunt. I've never owned a drop of corn and probably never will. If every ethanol plant shut down tomorrow it would make me no difference. If it were up to me I'd have drilling rigs anywhere there was a drop of oil. If nothing else just the threat of it would bring the price of oil down in a hurry. I also know I'm not going to change any minds on here, I just wanted to put forth another point of view.

richard86

Where do you come up with this?????????
Beef prices are UP at least 30% over last year. This week's B50 were 1.02 USDA blue average. B85 went up over 2bucks. Last year, highest b50 was about .75, lowest about .50. High for B85 last year was 1.75 or so, low was 1.50.
Feed lots are full? USDA reports cattle production is down at least 10%, AND, calves are down 30%. Or is the USDA lying? Is JBS and Tyson lying?
Hogs are worse - double last year's price.
I bought PRIME+ Strips last year once at $3.85 or so; now they are around $6.85.
Corn was 3.50, now it's 7.85.
Sounds like you have a farmer's WINDFALL PROFIT to protect. Worse than a damn oil company I tell ya. Doubling your price in a year. You need to be taxed. Excessively.:whistling:

Prices are the same at the store? Yup - we took 16oz packages down to 12 oz or 14oz packages so same price per unit per dc requests.

What a load, prices the same.

I'm talking in my area, a 40,000 head feedlot sold here last year, I think they took possession around July, it was full in 4 months, actually faster than they wanted.

The farmers I talk to were contracted around $4 on corn last year. I'm sure they wish they could have stored it and made a killing on it. You seem to be a little angry at the farmers. Just curious do you know what it takes to raise a crop of corn? The input costs are unbelievable, not counting the machinery it takes. I have family that farms and I don't know how they swing it. The corporate farms maybe have been making out like gangbusters, I don't know. I just know it seems every year my brother in law is squeaking by at the end of the year, and doesn't know until Feb. if he's farming the next year.

richard86

Cheapest pos cow on here is a $1.21 a pound. $169 for choice. Prime is 1.79 for nice stuff.
Where do you find cows for $400 a head?

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lswwklyblue.pdf

I think you misunderstood me. Bottle calves bringing $400. A bottle calf is a baby Cow, one that has lost it's Mom or the Mother won't let it suck, or doesn't have enough milk, or maybe a cow has had twins and can't feed both. Bottle calves are a crap shoot, last year my daughter bought one from her Uncle and one from her Brother and they both ended up dying. After that she said no more for her. Used to be you could buy bottle calves for $100 buck and make it work, not anymore as far as I'm concerned.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Holstein bull calves go anywhere from $50-125 up here. We raised over 40 of them through the years and only ever lost one. They are real touch and go for the first few weeks and get the skitters and dehydrate if you don't really watch them. They also do better in pairs rather than alone.