• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cancelled the landline (for the 2nd time)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A few years ago I cancelled our landline phone and switched to a Voip system.

It worked great when we had a solid internet connection. But we have a wireless wide-area wifi internet provider so the connection was not always solid.

The wife wanted a landline again. I relented and switched back to a standard ATT landline.

I'm so sick of the SPAM calls that I finally cut the cord. Again. Literally 90+% of the calls we get when the phone rings are SPAM calls. Its so bad that we stopped giving our home phone number to doctors offices, businesses, etc because we got so many SPAM calls that when a legit call came in the regular landline we'd often ignore it and eventually just told them to leave messages on our Cell phones if they needed us.

So I'm doing paying $62/month just to be annoyed :boxing:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have 2 landlines and we too get a lot of spam calls.
For $2.95/month, our provider has something on their end that can theoretically block 99% of the spam. I don't have it (yet) but if AT&T does, it may be an option.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
A few years ago I cancelled our landline phone and switched to a Voip system.

It worked great when we had a solid internet connection. But we have a wireless wide-area wifi internet provider so the connection was not always solid.

The wife wanted a landline again. I relented and switched back to a standard ATT landline.

I'm so sick of the SPAM calls that I finally cut the cord. Again. Literally 90+% of the calls we get when the phone rings are SPAM calls. Its so bad that we stopped giving our home phone number to doctors offices, businesses, etc because we got so many SPAM calls that when a legit call came in the regular landline we'd often ignore it and eventually just told them to leave messages on our Cell phones if they needed us.

So I'm doing paying $62/month just to be annoyed :boxing:

Election 2008 we had a land line. Neighbor did som landscaping and cut theline. ATT came out o fix it but it never worked right. We could call out but the phones would not ring or let a call in. It was AWESOME.

Wecalled tohave it fixed a couple of times and got the run-around. It's inside, not our problem.

We got the bill every month for about a year, no repairs but.....; NO ROBO CALLS!
Cut the chord with ATT.

We have Spectrum for cell phones now with our Internet package.

Been like that since 2010

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have 2 landlines and we too get a lot of spam calls.
For $2.95/month, our provider has something on their end that can theoretically block 99% of the spam. I don't have it (yet) but if AT&T does, it may be an option.

Wait, so add another $3 to the $62 per month that I already spend to get 2 or 3 legitimate calls per week? That works out to me paying roughly $5 per legitimate call incoming phone call I get.

FWIW I only make about 2 or 3 outgoing calls per MONTH on the landline.

I think I'll save my $$$ and do without. Doctor and tractor dealer already have my cell #. Not sure I need to give it to anyone else!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Cell only for a few years now. Ported my landline to a Google Voice number for the occasional place that still has our old landline. Google Voice just emails me the voicemail (it's usually for my wife).

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Panasonic wireless phone system in my house.

It connects to my cellphone by bluetooth.

Calls that come into my cell are routed to all the handsets in my home. ATT has already disconnected my landline. Nice quick service! Now when the handsets ring I know it won't be a spam call.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I must be the lucky one. We still have both, and the land line hardly ever rings!

I am lucky, thanks for letting me know... :thumbup:

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
the land line hardly ever rings!

I got "cloned" phone numbers on my landline so the calls looked like local calls but they were from Timeshare companies, health insurance companies, credit card companies, etc etc etc

Literally 3 to 5 every day.