• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO "DECLINING BIKE SALES”

Bamby

The reasons for the slump in sales at HD are not President Trump's fault.

Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles. Generation X is only buying a few, and the next generation isn't buying any at all.

A recent study was done to find out why Millennials don't ride motorcycles:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.

3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving.

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.

6. Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.

7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.

9. They are allergic to fresh air.

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.

17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.

20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.

21. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy.

22. Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They are too expensive.
Agreed. But they do tend to hold their value better than most bikes.

I'm a Honda guy, and I'm not a fan of big heavy cruisers, so while the bike I rode prior to my Honda was a Harley, the brand was actually something I learned to dislike.

I prefer the ADV/Touring style bikes and H-D came out with the amazing Pan America. It is, along with the BMW GS1250, at the pinnacle of ADV/Touring bikes. But the prices and the technology used in the bikes simply are too much for a bike that is designed to be taken OFF the roads and into remote areas.

vanguard86

Agreed. But they do tend to hold their value better than most bikes.

I'm a Honda guy, and I'm not a fan of big heavy cruisers, so while the bike I rode prior to my Honda was a Harley, the brand was actually something I learned to dislike.

I prefer the ADV/Touring style bikes and H-D came out with the amazing Pan America. It is, along with the BMW GS1250, at the pinnacle of ADV/Touring bikes. But the prices and the technology used in the bikes simply are too much for a bike that is designed to be taken OFF the roads and into remote areas.
Harley only caters to the elderly and have money, if you look at Honda they have a wide range to choose from at affordable price (parts and maintenance too).

And every year motorcycles gets better and better, and cheaper (Asian market).

Can be easily replace (buy and sell), unlike Harleys.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't know if Harley's hold their value. I've been trolling Craigslist for motorcycles for a while. It seems Harley owners list their bikes for sale with a perceived value. There are lots of good deals on low mileage used Harley's if you are willing to look for them.

vanguard86

I don't know if Harley's hold their value. I've been trolling Craigslist for motorcycles for a while. It seems Harley owners list their bikes for sale with a perceived value. There are lots of good deals on low mileage used Harley's if you are willing to look for them.
They may hold their value, but the younger generations are not into those kind of motorcycles anymore.

Even Honda's Rebel looks and rides better than Harley's.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've no experience with HD but from what I've seen Honda Goldwing Trikes with Hannigan or CSC conversion seem to really hold their value.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Harleys are old man bikes. Time to sell now if you have one. They will just drop in value over the next decade. Loud, vibrate, obnoxious over priced junk.
Nobody. Wants them other then old has-beens.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
There's still a lot of interest in Harleys even from young people. It's regional and cliquey. There are lots of tribes in the overall motorcycle community. Super-moto, cafe racers, and "naked" bikes all have their followings now.

In Portland they have the 1Moto show which is kind of cool because it shows off lots of different bikes and brings all the communities together: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/05/qotd-is-the-1moto-show-the-best-in-the-us/

PGBC

In my garage are Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Triumph, Suzuki, and BMW motorcycles.
Used to have a harley, best day ever owning it, was the day I sold it...lesson learned, never again.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
In my garage are Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Triumph, Suzuki, and BMW motorcycles.
Used to have a harley, best day ever owning it, was the day I sold it...lesson learned, never again.
I've had all of those plus a Moto Guzzi and a KTM Enduro.
All way back when, like, over 40 years ago.
I never got the Harley thing. Shaking, rattling, leaking, noisy. Nobody takes a Harley on a road trip of more than 100 miles. My buddy still rides, has a BMW. Had driven from Chicago to Alaska multiple times. I can imagine the pain it would be on a Harley.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've had all of those plus a Moto Guzzi and a KTM Enduro.
All way back when, like, over 40 years ago.
I never got the Harley thing. Shaking, rattling, leaking, noisy. Nobody takes a Harley on a road trip of more than 100 miles. My buddy still rides, has a BMW. Had driven from Chicago to Alaska multiple times. I can imagine the pain it would be on a Harley.

Reminds of a friend who used to go Sturgis every year. He crated up the Harley and had it shipped to Sturgis while he and his wife rode the Honda Goldwing up there.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
If I hasn't lost so many acquaintances to them on bikes with car and truck, I might be riding a Gold Wing these days.

Reactions: Doc

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I never got the Harley thing. Shaking, rattling, leaking, noisy
Uhhh ... that's the whole thing about them. I have three Harley's they are all loud and rough. I feel they are like having a classic american muscle car - they just take up less space and have been in general a lot cheaper to acquire.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
over the years I have owned 5 Harleys. They were a 1951 panhead, a 1963 panhead, a 1979 shovelhead, a 1981 shovelhead and a 1972 sportster. I made several long trips on the shovels. My longest was from Houston to Phoenix. I still like the sound of a shovelhead idling. Have a goodun!!