• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ride Side-by-Side -- a smaller 4x4 version???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't want to take the other Side-by-Side thread off topic so I figured I'd start up a new thread.

Usually when we discuss 2 passenger utility vehicles the discussion is divided into 2 parts.
  • Which brand/model is the most fun
  • Which brand/model does the most work
Well I have a different question, who makes a good but compact 4x4 2-passenger utility vehicle?

The lovely Mrs_B almost bought me a JD Gator for my birthday last month when I officially turned middle aged (45). But she didn't know what model to buy and that is probably a good thing that she didn't buy it because she'd have bought it on 'looks' as opposed to function.

To be blunt, I really like the compact Gator series machines but they are 2wd. My land has a couple steep slopes, I've not tested one in 2wd but I suspect I'd end up stalled or spinning the wheels on those slopes. Now that I have cut paths through the woods on the lot where the new garage is built I know I could get up and down there because the slope is milder, but that is not always the way we'd want to go so I believe 4x4 is a must. It would mostly be for playing around, perhaps light hauling of garden supplies, etc. But I've figured out if we get one, it will be a light duty compact unit for driving around and not for heavy tasks.

Anyone have any thoughts?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
rhino is a 4x4 not utility.But I would say a rhino. Its rear axle is locked and will tear up your lawn some when turning.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
My land has a couple steep slopes, I've not tested one in 2wd but I suspect I'd end up stalled or spinning the wheels on those slopes...<snip> It would mostly be for playing around, perhaps light hauling of garden supplies, etc. But I've figured out if we get one, it will be a light duty compact unit for driving around and not for heavy tasks.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I've found that the definition of "steep slopes" varies quite a bit. Having 4X4 is a must in the snow or mud but, on slopes, it doesn't matter that much. Compared to an ATV, the Rhino that has been mentioned is much more stable on slopes. I've climbed hills on my Rhino that you literally would have a hard time getting up on your hands and feet. It didn't get light in the front end and it will not run out of power.

Since I've had several Gators and now also have an RTV, I can tell you from experience that you will run out of power on similar slopes with both the RTV and a Gator. This would especially come into play if you are towing a trailer. I've been able to get more traction with my Gators and RTV than they can handle. They just stop and grunt. You will not run into that particular issue with a Rhino. However, the power steering and fuel injection that the RTV has are features that I deem very nice. Any non-fuel injected gas engine is going to be somewhat cold natured and will require warm up time. For short drives around my property, I do not have the patience to wait 5 minutes warm up time just to take the UV on a 5 minute trip. So, for short drives around my property, the RTV is now the choice. If the Rhino would come with EFI and power steering, it would not be a contest.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would like to see one a few inches narrower than the rhino.That way it may be legal on the atv trails.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
stude said:
I would like to see one a few inches narrower than the rhino.That way it may be legal on the atv trails.

While I am not looking for one that will run the ATV trails, I am looking for a compact size unit and the Rhino and the Kubota RTV are both too large.

Anyone know how a 2wd unit will climb a hill?

loki2

B_Skurka said:
While I am not looking for one that will run the ATV trails, I am looking for a compact size unit and the Rhino and the Kubota RTV are both too large.

Anyone know how a 2wd unit will climb a hill?

No, get a Rhino. I do not understand why you would want a 2 wheel drive vehicle, when you can do so much more and go more places with a 4x4. You do not have to use the 4 wheel drive, but it is there if you need it.

loki2

Rhino climbs like a goat! Much better than either of my 600+ ATV's. I think it has something to do with the long wheel base.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
loki2 said:
No, get a Rhino. I do not understand why you would want a 2 wheel drive vehicle, when you can do so much more and go more places with a 4x4. You do not have to use the 4 wheel drive, but it is there if you need it.

Bascially if we get one of these things it will be for the lovely Mrs_B & my daughter to drive out to the garden, run around the neighborhood, etc. I have no desire to use this as a hunting vehicle, I have no desire to actually do much with this other than maybe run to the neighbors house, etc. We've been on our property for almost 11 years, we've landscaped most of it, at least what we've wanted to landscape so I don't need much cargo capacity and doubt I would use it to tow a trailer.

I do want 4x4, but I want the smaller size of the "compact series" JD Gators, unfortunately those only come in 2wd. I'm not sure I could get a 2wd unit up the hill by the road, I know I could NOT get it up the slope by the living room.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I know I could NOT get it up the slope by the living room.
Bob, you'll probably need a real small SbS for the stairs from the living room. :rolleyes: Don't know why you're driving it in the house though :confused: I don't know if that was one of their intended purposes. :StickOutT

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not in the living room. The slope is by the living room. The living room is situated at the corner of a ridge-line. The slope is why I bought the Ventrac and no longer seems extreme, but there are realities as to what can reasonably be expected to come up that slope with its rough ground it is a challenge to get the tractors up there (not just because of the grade but also because of the irregular ground).

I could live with a small unit that didn't make it up the 'living room' slope, but it would have to make it up the one by the road and I got a 10 wheel dump truck stuck on that slope, its only a 15' vertical rise over there, its not quite as steep, but it used to challenge the Cub Cadet.