• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The iMac is Dead! Long Live the iMac!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Yep, my venerable old iMac I have had since 2010 died this morning. :hammer: It was a trooper. I replaced the HDD about 3 years ago, but this time the display would not come on. Of course I could not find anywhere my suction cups for removing the glass to get to the innards. Could be anything, software related, bad screen inverter board or bad LED backlight. So I decided to pick up a new one. Everything backed up on Time Machine so now the new one looks and runs like the old one but a bit faster.

I think I will tear into the old one at some point and see if it is an easy fix. I so it will make for a nice display for running the DCC controls on my model railroad, or, maybe Windows 10 instead. :thumbup:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats on your new one. 9 years is not bad at all for a puter. I suspect you can revive the old one and will have a viable back up system. Always a good thing.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Congrats on your new one. 9 years is not bad at all for a puter. I suspect you can revive the old one and will have a viable back up system. Always a good thing.

Thanx. One of my pet peeves with the old one was how many batteries the Magic Mouse devoured. It was fussy too, would not run on NIMH batteries. Not enough voltage i presume. Of course, I could have gotten another mouse, but I really liked the mouse, otherwise. Well, lo and behold the new one uses built in rechargeable batteries so that is a nice feature.

I am really thinking about loading WIN10 on the old one if I can get it running cheaply and turning it into a Hackintosh. :yum:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
This HP laptop I run on is about 7 yrs old this month. I ordered a new fan for it a couple of years ago 'cause it was getting noisy. I take it out to the shop and blow it out every few months and it just keeps going.
Mike

jwstewar

When we built the house after the fire, I built a new computer. Then in May of 2010 we got a huge power surge and wiped several things out including the new computer. Insurance paid for me to build another new one. I also rebuilt the old one. Both are still running. Just recently built a new one to replace the replacement because it was getting a bit unstable and it had so much crap on it, it wouldn't upgrade to Windows 10. Damn this new one is lightning fast.

Bamby

I am soon having to face getting a replacement myself. I read where Microsoft is dropping support on most of their products including some if not all of version 10. Not sure where I'm going as of yet but I'm hoping to somehow make the wise choice.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I am soon having to face getting a replacement myself. I read where Microsoft is dropping support on most of their products including some if not all of version 10. Not sure where I'm going as of yet but I'm hoping to somehow make the wise choice.

The thing that always pleased me the most about my Mac is the fact it was fully supported over the 9 years I owned it. To the day it died, it was running the latest version of OS with all the latest security updates.

Of course it all depends on what you want to do with your computer as to whether a Mac or Windows puter is best for you. The thing I cannot stand is these fanboys who swear by one or the other and think the other is crap. I own both a iMac and a Win10 laptop with a SSD drive and I like them both.

Bamby

The thing that always pleased me the most about my Mac is the fact it was fully supported over the 9 years I owned it. To the day it died, it was running the latest version of OS with all the latest security updates.

Of course it all depends on what you want to do with your computer as to whether a Mac or Windows puter is best for you. The thing I cannot stand is these fanboys who swear by one or the other and think the other is crap. I own both a iMac and a Win10 laptop with a SSD drive and I like them both.

I refused to switch to 10 and am still running seven.. I'm still contemplating on where I want to go.. A laptop would suit my needs but there are also notepads available that could also work for my needs. So I'm sort of stuck wondering weather I need to select the best operating system for the computer or the best computer for the selected operating system..