• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trails in Southern Wyoming area

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone Have a very good grasp on the trails in there area? Seeing the Wa Boys put something together can we? Best location for everyone? I know the Big Horns Well But I think Southern Wy or Northern Co. Might be better to get more people involved! What are Colorado snocat laws? Wy seems we just put a sled permit on and go. I would vote for Feb-March time frame. So who has some ideas? Worst case if you guys want it in the Big Horns I am game for the leg work.

Cletis

I don't know what trails are open in the winter in the Big Horns but hope to do a lot of cat'n up there this winter. Pinedale area gets a lot of snow also. I would like to cat from Dubois to Pinedale some winter over union pass. Possibility of running into some wolves also!!!!

Cletis

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interest reported from those snow catter's of the flat lands to your East.....:smile:

Will keep my eyes on this thread...:smile:

Regards, Kirk

Cletis

If the Big Horn mt, I would think Deer Haven might be a good base camp. No idea what the rooms cost. I think Meadowlark might be open soon also. I see they started selling gas. Could be overrun with sleds though on the week ends. I was in the Big Horns last year during the middle of the week a cpl times and it was awesome. Barely seen anyone at all when I was out.

Pinedale has a lot of trails also and quite a few places to stay also. Pinedale has a lot of sledding events and the big dog races also.

I would think both places would be very accommodating and used to events like this.

I don't know much about the snowy's.

Cletis

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think we need to find a place where there are no snowmobile trails. I know nothing about the pindale area. I believe a key will be to have a man on the ground. Someone that knows the area logging roads and trails. Deer haven and meadowlark would be tough as there is no way to leave without driving on snowmobile trails.

Cletis

If you google earth Deer Haven, you have the road up to West Tensleep lake, then to the west back to Lily lake and Battle park. To the east up to East Tensleep lake and I've elk hunted the logging roads back above Sitting Bull camp ground. Neat thing about the Big Horns is that they allow (at least in the past) you to drive beside the highway to different roads/trails. I plan on cat'n a lot of these areas at first snow so will know more then.

You being on the West side, are there any roads/trails on the Tensleep side?

When you say the snowy range, are you talking about the Albany area?

Short Bus may also have some places in mind.

Cletis

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes those are all snowmobile trails in the winter tho. I know them all well. I groomed then once upon a time. I am a firm believer in not mixing snow machines and snocats. I will not drive a cat on a snowmobile trail unless it is pulling a drag. And has a very large insurance policy on it......... Little advice for all cat owners there.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do know a lot of great trails on the east side that are not snowmobile trails and receive very little use in the winter time. if everyone is set on the big horns I can arrange something but I think the snowys or somewhere south. would draw more people it would be need to see more than 4or5 cats. I am sure short bus will be interested as I had some contact with him last year I believe he knows quite a bit about the southern Mountains in Wyoming.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do know a lot of great trails on the east side that are not snowmobile trails and receive very little use in the winter time. if everyone is set on the big horns I can arrange something but I think the snowys or somewhere south. would draw more people it would be need to see more than 4or5 cats. I am sure short bus will be interested as I had some contact with him last year I believe he knows quite a bit about the southern Mountains in Wyoming.

From here is is only half of the distance it is to the Seattle area. This in itself is a big deal...

Snow cat owners here in the upper midwest can drive it in a good long day. Are there things for the wives/family to do in the area? Ski area or shopping or such for those not inclined to ride cats? If not I guess I could just come without the family...

I am all ears....:biggrin:

Regards, Kirk

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
There is a ski hill in southern big horns but that is about it. The nearest small town shopping would be buffalo. About 30-40 miles east ( mountain driving). Then Sheridan about 60-70 miles north east. Not an optimal area for family fun. Black hills of SD? Trails? Permits? Good lodging gambling (lead deadwood) shopping close by ( rapid city). What about northern co any mountain towns with what we are looking for?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know the area well at all. If there is little for family members to do, well that is OK, and they will stay at home....

I am in it for the snow catting experiance. Others from the midwest are as well. I'm in if we can find a place to run.

Regards, Kirk

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like I said before we can do bighorns. I do know the area well. Lodging will run approx 120$a night. I would vote for north horns as the lodge owners are more apt to work with us. On the down side there are a lot more snow machines up there. The south end does have the small ski hill. Small amount of lodging. Owners may work with us if a different person is the contact. But it seems there prices are pretty much set in stone from past experience.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds good. I think a group of snow cats will fair much better with the snow machines than a single machine. If we all run warning lights, and run in a pack the danger is some what less, I feel. $120 night seeems fair enough, if it is nice...

I like the idea so far..:smile: Any time frame you have in mind? I suppose we will have to watch the snow conditions.

Regards, Kirk

Cletis

Not sure if you have to use the week end but when I was up last year I was by myself on the week days. I'd bet 3 maybe 4 of us could prospect/run a lot of it this winter before the real deal.

Cletis

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually you might ed surprised at how many could come on the week days. Makes sence, less sleds to dodge too...

Redsquel what says you?? Time for other midwest interest to chime in....

Cletis, yes maybe a few guys this first time to get the lay of the land and build some local bridges...

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been watching you all franticly getting ready for winter I now have some st parts to strip before the snow falls. the Thiokol that won't be here until the middle of next month and I will have to scramble on that one too. i'm so tired I need sleep last summers vacation did me some good I will have to do that again sometime.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
dds, What kinda ST parts have you got? ....Send me a PM...:smile:

Yes it would be neat if you could come again! I liked having you here alot. And of course some good BBQ wouldn't hurt either!

Now back to the topic.....The Snowy Mountains, in the North...

Regards, Kirk

Cletis

DDS, sounds like you need a vaca to Wyoming sometime early next year to join in on a cat outing!

Cletis

Short bus

I think where ever there is a ton of snow. I had a great day up near saw mill pass found a good hill for skiing the trails up there are wide open you can see a long way after about ten miles we ditched the trail stopped in the middle of som sleders that where all stuck then took it vertical when we came down they said 8 out of ten where betting we would not have made the top. it was a good time. had to trailer the short bus 10 or 15 min. from bear lodge again less sled traffic. an another goood on was in Shoshoni National forest up bear tooth pass out of between Cody and Cook City
There is a warming hut up there near Index lake and some huge bowls for skiing.
I stayed in cook city drove over the closed Hwy to the parking lot then trailered to over to the bace of beartooth pass. I don't know squat about the snowys other than Saratoga has a free hot spring open 24-7 a lot of sleds but they would see all the rigs on trailers and know we are there. anyway I was riding my bicycle to day and then tipped over in the canoe this afternoon this is the first week I had a day off all summer. got to go run my saw mill in the morning I will start the short bus and let it run for an hour. It even purrs like a cat.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the idea, but want to be within the law too. Not sure your laws, but I suspect Wyoming is better than Colorado for a snow cat....

It would be best if the sledders know we are comming to town, and when. A litttle talking and organising with the locals will go a long way to having a good time. Week days might be preferable the first time we try this. Since we are talking about being near Cody, What about Yellowstone Park??

Regards, Kirk

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yellowstone park Snocats/snocoaches fall under the same guidelines as snowmobiles. When I checked a couple years ago anyway. The rules are bat(best available technology) I don't think any of our cats meet that Lol. And all groups must be guided by a pro guide and numbers are limited daily. Thank a tree hugger...

Last edited:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just remember as far as advertising, organizing. This would take place in a federal ground (national forest). It is one thing for a large group of friends to get together and go for a ride. It is completly different to organize, make fliers, banners, organized trail rides, activities. If the latter forest service will require permits, insurance policies, winter use permits, ect. As a former snowmobile club president, search and rescue sear gent, forest service ways and policies are all to familliar .

Cletis

I actually called the group that does the snow cat and snowmobile tours through Yellowstone last year. They told me that no privately owned snow cats were allowed in Yellowstone now. You had to ride in their snow buses. Was not cheap either. It was difficult to get someone that had a clue about how it all worked so this may not be entirely accurate, but is what I was told. Shame to because I've hunted around the park in the winter and is absolutely beautiful!

As of last yr anyway, Wy law is buy a snow machine sticker, That's all I did last year and haven't heard of any changes.

Cletis

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like Wyoming and snow machine stickers. Week days if possible, and it is for me anyway. If we run in a group, I still think it is better and safer for snowmobilers. Warning strobes and SMV signs on the back of each machine goes along ways around here... So what is a small group? 6 machines or less?

Regards, Kirk