• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

??'s re: Filling large gaps in exterior door casing

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I just installed a new front door and the brick molding is almost 1/2" proud of the siding. Any suggestions as to how best to fill the gap between the casing and siding? Here's a pic to show you what I'm talking about:

Attachments

• IMG_1321zoom.jpg
    IMG_1321zoom.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 34

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know if it's the right or best way, but here's what I did in a similar situation.
Get some spray foam insulation and fill in the cracks/gaps until the foam is slightly recessed from the door frame. Once that dries, use a razor knife to cut off any that protruded out.
Lay a bead of good caulk to finish. Use your wet finger to feather.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't get too carried away stuffing foam in there or your perfectly hung door may not end up where you set it. Cut more than one loose from that stuff to replumb after it expanded. Then folks wonder why they can't open and close a brand new door. I prefer fiberglass to stuff with and would cover the gap with 1/2 round molding.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I should have been a little more clear. Don't use the expanding type.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a similiar problem this week on a new door I put in my metal building. You can buy a grey rope type foam in a few different diameters that you can use to push in the spaces around the frame to seal it off from the air and critters. I used that packed fairly tight and used caulking to fill the last of the outside gap. :wink:

The spray non expanding foam works good to, but it sure can be messy and damn near imposible to get off anything it comes in contact with, so use with caution.

You could also use a piece of 1/4 round trim on the outside after its packed with the foam, painted the same color that may look a little neater then the caulking. :biggrin: