• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Utah State Univ snowcat history. (frandee)

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
yup CT, it has been here before and thanks for bringing this back to life, which is a GOOD thing, and tells everyone how superior frandee is, very opinionated !

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Next year at McCallin' 2019- the Utah State University challenge...Frandee vs. Trackmaster 4VL:boxing:

lets do the USU challenge just northeast of Logan Ut, home of Utah State University, seems more fitting, say next February, 2019 and my money is on the Frandee

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
If USU is anything like OSU, there is more buried in the archives than on the web.

I was trying to find info on KOAC-TV (the first Oregon Public Broadcast TV station) went on the air and how it was accessed. And this popped in my results for some reason.

Sorry for the duplicate posting.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
This document was very useful when I restored my Frandee, one of the only sources of information I had.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Still could get a good answer from any source,

As far as "Frandee's" logo - is there something thats recorded on some image of a cat, or most of the logos/designs are personal choice of the owners?! like in GMoose's case, the bunny and all -

Working on the vector file for my unit, thinking of the options

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
My logo is not made up, it was a tracing from the panels of my Frandee. The only differences where I left the dash off from the "SHU" because it was grammatically incorrect and just didn't look right, and since I had it made I have found that the light blue should have been white. I have seen many photos, black and white and color of this logo, it is correct other than the two issues I just pointed out.

cruiseroutfit

Site Supporter
New guy here but I ran across this unit being auctioned a few months back and was intrigued by the Utah State Agriculture College (which later became Utah State University) connection.

20191228_212400-1008x756.jpg

20191228_212635-1008x756.jpg

Tommyg

Next year at McCallin' 2019- the Utah State University challenge...Frandee vs. Trackmaster 4VL:boxing:
Hello vintagebike, I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. I have an old Trackmaster 4VL and it's not in bad shape, I do need a few parts and would love to get some books on it, any ideas?

Tommyg

What parts do you need?
It has the wooden track rungs, many are in poor shape, think I can make them, guessing their oak. The rear drive sprockets are missing a lot of the rubber that was on them to protect the tracks where they meet, need to either get now ones or figure out how to re-line it with some material. Those are the main things right now, thanks.

Tommyg

Was also curious what fluids are recommended for it, differentials, trans, stuff like that, thanks again

vintagebike

It has the wooden track rungs, many are in poor shape, think I can make them, guessing their oak. The rear drive sprockets are missing a lot of the rubber that was on them to protect the tracks where they meet, need to either get now ones or figure out how to re-line it with some material. Those are the main things right now, thanks.
I think i have one usable drive sprocket. Back in Idaho after Thanksgiving and will check.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
. I have an old Trackmaster 4VL and it's not in bad shape, I do need a few parts and would love to get some books on it, any ideas?
Hello and Welcome. May I suggest you start a new thread in the restoration or parts sub-forum just for your cat. It is much easier to follow on when items, brands,uses, are not intermixed. Again welcome to the forums

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Tommyg,
I have to agree with Cidertom, the restoration section would be a better place for this discussion. But until you do that here is my two cents.

I have a Frandee, the predecessor to the Trackmaster. The wood cleats on the Frandees were originally 2" thick hickory, I made my own from lumber a friend harvested for me out of Indiana. If you start a new thread in the restoration section I will post pictures of how I did it showing the angles, hole patterns, relief at the tire guides, etc. I would imagine you could also use oak if you wanted, I used hickory because it is what was originally used, and it is very strong, I have not broken any cleats.

Oils: the Frandee has a different drive than the Trackmaster so I do not know what to use there. If your Trackmaster has a custom transfer case like my Frandee does then I would suggest using conventional oil instead of synthetic. I used synthetic in mine for a while but it would leak out very badly, the conventional gear lube does not leak out much.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
here is the ID tag from another frandee, looks like it is No.16, model D

so G MOose, how many model D frandees do you know of and what is the earliest one ?

fullsizeoutput_4f2.jpeg
00u0u_4SRB6x7yizf_0t20lM_1200x900.jpg

and the rear door appears to be larger than yours

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
I have seen one other model D in person besides my own and pictures of about 5 other model D's for a total of 7. Have seen photos of 4 model E's, one model C, and one model B.

The model D was made in 1952 and some in 1953. This is from two sources, the Eskelson thesis shows that fabrication of the model D in 1952, and I thought mine was a 1952 until I found that the axles mine has are from 1953 (casting numbers). My engine is from 1950. So I call mine a 1953 since that is the latest casting number I found on any component.

Rear door. Mine (S/N 37) was missing the rear door when I found it. I later was able to locate S/N 36 and the owner let me photo the door and measure it. With that information I was able to remanufacture one the same as the original. I have seen a couple other door options, the one (S/N 16) posted above and then the one shown below (S/N 35) which is way different (side hinge instead of top hinge). Seams like I also saw a photo of one once where there was the oval window both above the door as mine has and then one in the door also. Maybe that was a model E, not sure, can't find the photo right now.

If you look close number 35, which I believe is a model E, also has a longer cab and has an additional side door on the drivers side. I have also seen a photo of one other possible model D which appears to have had the cab made into just a two seater, not sure if this was factory or later modification.
Frandee2.jpg

20414-MMS-1515984585005-attachment1-Screenshot9520180114-203838.jpg

aeed_12.JPG
DSCN1173.JPG
4006(4).jpg
IMG_20191228_114118777_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 4006(4).jpg
    4006(4).jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20191228_114118777_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191228_114118777_HDR.jpg