• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

@#%! Wallpaper!!!!!!!!!!Help!

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
The former owners wallpaper over sheet rock. I'm having a heckuva time getting the stuff off. Help!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Some time ago we had a small bathroom that we had to remove the wall paper off of plaster. It was an older house and I knew there was going to be trouble. We were told by the Experts to use a Steamer. I seriously think I could have taken the plaster off, sheet rocked, painted or wall papered faster than what it took to get that wall paper off. Was not fun. Are you going to paint when the wall paper is off or are you going to re-wallpaper?

Oh and by the way, what is CB doing that he can't take that wallpaper off for you???? :hide:

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
What is CB doing? Why, he's posting on forums forums!:blink::furious::mrgreen:

I plan to texturize (good thing because I don't think the sheetrock will be in good shape when I finish) then paint.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I too believe steam is the way to go.

For this task (and many more), I believe Mrs. Zoom uses a "Scunci steamer".

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
The former owners wallpaper over sheet rock. I'm having a heckuva time getting the stuff off. Help!

This is normal operationg procedure in the UK so I've done it many times and there is no easy way. It's laborious and time consuming, especially if the previous owner didn't size the walls before papering, but scoring and steaming is the only way to "get 'er done". You still have to be careful because if you oversteam and soak the sheetrock below, then it too will start to seperate and leave places that have to be filled and sanded.

I'm assuming that it some sort of vinyl or washable wallpaper that you are trying to remove otherwise texture on top of it. Try it in a small out of the way area first to see if it will stick.

sports850

Last time I tried steam and it took too long to soften it up so I used a spray bottle full of water and soaked the wallpaper , left it for 20 minutes or so and then used the steamer , lifted it off really easy .

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
What method are you using? I have never had to remove wallpaper, but the home improvement shows always recommend using a little tool that puts hundreds of holes in the paper, and then using a wallpaper steamer to loosen the glue. You then scrape the paper and glue off with a putty knife and a lot of elbow grease.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=HomeDecor/tricky_wallpaper_removal.html

At one time that was called a Tiger Tool. It scratched lines/holes in the paper. And then you used a sponge and water to wet it down. The bad thing about it was, if you went over it too many times or too hard, the paper on the wallboard got ruined too.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
If it's wall"paper" a solution of vinegar and warm water. Soak let set, soak again and scrape gently.

If it's vinyl or vinyl coated perforations need to be made for the removal solution to get behind and work on the glue.

If it's heavy vinyl you should be able to just peel it off.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't understand, as much money as CB has :poke: why dosn't he hire someone to do it and then take CG out for supper and a movie while someone else removes the wallpaper. :hide:

murph

Cityboy

Banned
I don't understand, as much money as CB has :poke: why dosn't he hire someone to do it and then take CG out for supper and a movie while someone else removes the wallpaper. :hide:

murph

CG has more money than me! And the contractor may wind up getting called in the end...It's a bitch of a job with 10' ceilings and nooks & crannies. Man, wallpaper sucks. Folks don't think about the day they want to change it when they put that crap on their walls....it ain't like a new coat of paint over old paint. I don't reckon the folks we bought it from care much right now. But they installed it over bare, unprimed sheetrock, and it does not want to come off.

Anyway, me and wallpaper & paint don't mix & CG don't want me in her way anyhow....she'd be ready to kick my ass in about 10 minutes of my involvement, so I'm leaving this project alone. :hide: I'll see about renting one of those steamer thing-a-ma-bobs tomorrow.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
But they installed it over bare, unprimed sheetrock, and it does not want to come off.

I'll see about renting one of those steamer thing-a-ma-bobs tomorrow.

If it's on bare, unprimed sheetrock all I can say is good luck. You will tear it. that's experience.

murph

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
wallpaper over bare, unprimed sheetrock is a disaster.
you can remove it mostly, but will lose a lot of surface paper from the rock at the same time, or there are 2 other options.
first - and easiest, as long as the wallpaper isn't bubbled or peeling, paint it with a laquer based primer like KILZ. (there are several good ones out there, that's just the first to come to mind) do not use the latex based version - it's got enough water in it to cause adhesion problems with the wallpaper. Once the paper is primed, you can give it a second coat of good acrylic latex primer, then texturize (splattercoat and knock down, I suspect as that's pretty common). prime your texture coat with PVA drywall primer, then prime and paint with acrylic latex.

second - not quite as easy or inexpensive, but better overall results, put up a layer of 1/4" or 3/8" rock over the wallpaper, and treat it like a new room - mud and tape your seams, do your texture, then PVA drywall primer and paint.

PVA drywall primer is not the same thing as regular primer - it's designed specifically to seal fresh sheetrock and/or mud. I've seen commercial jobs where they decided regular primer would be good enough and ended up needing 2 coats of primer and 3 topcoats before it stopped soaking in and showing "flat" spots.

personal preference note - I never use flat paint. It shows dirt, is harder to clean, stains easy, soaks up humidity like crazy, and is not as durable a surface. Eggshell or satin finishes seem to be the best compromise between easy care and appearance. (gloss finishes are the most durable and easy to care for, but seem to magnify every imperfection in a surface)

sorry the answer is so long, hope it helps.

dzalphakilo

Banned
We had some major areas to redo with taking wallpaper off (swear, ugliest stuff you ever saw).

My past situation sounds somewhat like yours. Honestly, biggest pain in the ass job my wife and I tried to do since we moved to our new home 4 years ago.

A steamer only worked "so so". A small bathroom litterally took a week of working inch by inch doing it after work.

One small bathroom we cheated and used "paintable wall paper" from one of the box stores. Actually looks pretty good after getting it painted.

Remember an old thread of mine asking about the "morality" of being able to hire Mexicans (perhaps illegal or not) because I had a job that I wanted them to do that was a real pain in the ass? This was it.

Best money I ever spent (I swear, about 95 man labor hours using four guys).

Now, some time later when we had the exterior of the house painted, the painter who got the job told me of a certain primer (or something to that extent) that he uses for real pain in the ass wall paper (he told me he won't even quote removing wall paper due to some of the potential PIA work that it can entail). He mentioned that it did a real good job, and then when you paint over it, you would never know the wallpaper was there. He did a great job on the house and seemed very experieinced, and although I'm not sure of the product he was talking about, I assume it would work like he mentioned.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
If it's on bare, unprimed sheetrock all I can say is good luck. You will tear it. that's experience.

murph

Yup. Idiots wallpapered right to the sheetrock in the upstairs of our house. The one room we tried to take off is a mess. They make some good solutions for taking off paper though. It can be done only if the surface underneath was treated properly. We will pull the sheetrock and redo it upstairs...walls need insulated anyway...

CG...I should send Princess down there she is an EXPERT at that stuff.