• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thinking about maybe buying a Camp trailer

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I dunno ???? Just something to let us get out in the winter months .The wife and I were talking about it on our return trip from California over Thanksgiving . We have 2 dogs so the choices on hotels are not great .
So after 500 miles of bored driving the discussion came up that maybe a camp trialer may be of interest .
SO , I have never been a big camper fan . I like my comfort which most hotels do not offer . I ain't buying a pup tent on wheels to spend time in .

So I am looking at Airstream trailers . They seem to look well built and hold their value some . I have always thought of Airstream as the Cadillac of trailers brands .
Other than that I don't know shit about them . Some of you "Travel Monkeys":smile: want to give me your opinion ????

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I dunno ???? Just something to let us get out in the winter months .The wife and I were talking about it on our return trip from California over Thanksgiving . We have 2 dogs so the choices on hotels are not great .
So after 500 miles of bored driving the discussion came up that maybe a camp trialer may be of interest .
SO , I have never been a big camper fan . I like my comfort which most hotels do not offer . I ain't buying a pup tent on wheels to spend time in .

So I am looking at Airstream trailers . They seem to look well built and hold their value some . I have always thought of Airstream as the Cadillac of trailers brands .
Other than that I don't know shit about them . Some of you "Travel Monkeys":smile: want to give me your opinion ????
Air stream and holiday rambler are both owned by the same company and are well known for being well built. I like the aluminum construction of the air stream better but both trailers share chassis and a lot of components.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Some options...

The Metropolitan look

coach_m.jpg

The retro look

SC0509-79446_1.jpg

For the wood look

682_background1_finalRender-CC32.jpg

The Man Cave

2004-Kingsley-Coach-Custom-RV.jpg

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nothing but the best for Big Al:

extreme-off-roading-01-0512-lgn.jpg

Global Expedition Vehicles
Since 2008, Global Expedition Vehicles (GXV) has been building some of the most incredible trucks in the overland world. This 2010 Freightliner began as a 2WD model with a 300-inch wheelbase. The team converted it to 4WD, took the wheelbase down to a more manageable 230 inches, and converted it to be nearly bulletproof—the bodywork is an insulated 2.5-inch composite sandwich of many marine-grade components. Even the windows are made of thick dual-pane construction and stainless-steel hardware.

You can get a GXV but not for cheap. The most extreme and luxurious lifting roof model, the Patagonia, sells for more than $500,000.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Have you ever considered a fifth wheel? My parents ran into the same thing. The first time they spent the winter in texas they had a 37ft motorhome. They spent 3 months living in it. They decided to sell the motorhome and buy a park model down there. They quickly found that travelling with 3 dogs was a pain for all the same reasons you mentioned. Last year while they were down there, they picked up a used fifth wheel to use when they go to and from texas each year. Much more comfortable and has all the amenities of home. Queen sized bed with a bedroom pullout. toy hauler model so they can haul dads valkyrie in the back. Now, you might ask..fuel mileage??? When they went down last year they were hauling the bike in an enclosed cargo trailer. On the way back they had the fifth wheel hauling the cargo trailer behind the camper. Only $160 difference in fuel going down vs coming back.

1391677_10151653795377303_376815672_n.jpg

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well , The wife found one she likes . I put an offer in on it .
Its a 2008 model and it is loaded .I guess we will know tomorrow .

Attachments

• 00505_gzfE8qnwvDR_600x450.jpg
    00505_gzfE8qnwvDR_600x450.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 284
  • 01111_3JLm8qX4D65_600x450.jpg
    01111_3JLm8qX4D65_600x450.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 277
  • 00909_47zAfEhEpKz_600x450.jpg
    00909_47zAfEhEpKz_600x450.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 288

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al,
We have a large fith wheel trailer with sides and like it alot. It has thriple bunks for the kids in their own bedroom. In the back yard it doubles as the summer slumber parties haven the girls have had. It is now stored indoors for the winter.

Regards, Kirk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Al, we had a 40' 5th wheel with 5 slides for a number of years and loved it. Had to get rid of it when I lost my parking space at the farm. Got a smaller class "C" instead and I can keep that at the house.

The fiver was great. It had plenty of space and was comfortable as hell. It'll keep you busy though. There always seems to be something that needs fixing, especially if you drag it off the beaten track on rough roads.

You'll also need to develop a more laid back attitude though. RVing is all about taking your time and enjoying the moment.

Hope you get it and ENJOY!!!!!!

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Well good luck on your choices. I have had cab-over, tow behind and motor home version, and I like the Class "C" type Motor homes. When you turn off the key you are done. Turn around in your seat and the camp is set. You don't have to go outside to get into the other two style campers and they can tow a good load if needed, or smaller car/truck.

http://thormotorcoach.com/product-lines.php

When you're tired you can just pull over and park almost anywhere, with a big tow behind camper your parking options start to get pretty limited!

Anyway, whatever choice you make you will enjoy!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice looking unit. You won't regret it. Jayco Eagle is a good brand too. It's what I have though mine is a little older. Do yourself a favor and upgrade the mattress if it hasn't been done already. Most RV's come with a VERY rock solid hard bed. We just changed ours. Before that, I had a 3" memory foam on the mattress.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just something to let us get out in the winter months
I don't know a lot about newer campers but as I recall, many of them don't like freezing temperatures. If you're going to be in-and-out of below freezing temperatures, do you have to take some winterizing steps?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just another little tip...when winterizing it, don't forget to drain the hot water tank. They don't like the cold and will open up like a frozen can of pepsi. (don't ask how I know):whistling:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm building a camper out of a Uhaul truck right now. There are a number of sizes to choose from, though mine is a 14 ft., it is perfect for two.

Sent by Tapatalk HD on a Kindle HDX.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm building a camper out of a Uhaul truck right now. There are a number of sizes to choose from, though mine is a 14 ft., it is perfect for two.

Sent by Tapatalk HD on a Kindle HDX.
dang Joe you must be a redneck.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't know a lot about newer campers but as I recall, many of them don't like freezing temperatures. If you're going to be in-and-out of below freezing temperatures, do you have to take some winterizing steps?

This baby comes with a polar package for cold weather .

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
COOL. That'll be a good shakedown run to find out everything that doesn't work or doesn't work properly.

I never thought that I would like RVing. I don't like neighbors all that much and thought that staying in parks with peole 20 feet away would be sheer hell. Turns out that I absolutely love it. We're off to Fredericksburg after Christmas for a week or so.

Happy trails Al. :clap::clap::clap:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Any one care to place a bet on how long Al will be happy with his new toy?:yum: have a good time Al......

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I dunno. He likes to stay busy and keeping a RV up and running will do that. It might just be me but I seem to be always working on mine. I rationalize it by saying that if you're hauling a house down the road on wheels you've got to expect things to malfunction and break. :biggrin:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Son of a BITCH !!!
The bank arrives at a figure . I agree to pay that amount . I drive 298 miles to be informed that the Manager hasnow changed her mine on selling the reprocessed trailer at the agreed price they told me was a done deal . Now they won't say how much they want !!! Its now "make a higher offer and we will see" .

How about ,,,,, "you kiss my ass and we will see" if anyone comes close to my price we agreed on .

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
bankers,lawers, and Skunks are a group I try to stear clear of!!!!!! they are all greasy and they stink!!!!! But when ya have to deal with them...get it in writing...signed in blood,and noterised!!! with 10 witneses!!!!!!!!! with hands laid on by the pope!!!!!!

Last edited:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
When they do call...make them bring the damn thing to your location at their expense,,and then tell them you are going to knock off 10 percent due to added milage, not taken into account when you first examaned the unit!!!!:yum: Ya might as well get some fun out of the deal!!!!!

Cletis

Just for an fyi. The wife and I rented a new Artic Fox (supposedly four season) while we were building a home about 5 yrs ago. It was Jan-April. Artic Fox are real popular in Wy but evidently people have never actually tried staying in them in the winter. They are about double the price and one real pc of s&%$. I had the panels down bout every other night unthawing the tanks that were supposedly unfreezable. The insulation package was unbelievable. If I'd had the time I would have took pictures and sent them all over the net so all could see just how bad quality they really are.

Cletis

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well , I am back to square one . The bank manager will not even return my call so I left a not so nice message on her phone .

I have half a mind to call the main office and complain about her .

I made a offer in writing .

They accepted the offer over the phone .

Then the manager changed her mind !

I guess its my word against hers and we all know who will win that one .

Moving on .........:sad:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Well , I am back to square one . The bank manager will not even return my call so I left a not so nice message on her phone .

I have half a mind to call the main office and complain about her .

I made a offer in writing .

They accepted the offer over the phone .

Then the manager changed her mind !

I guess its my word against hers and we all know who will win that one .

Moving on .........:sad:

I think it's a conspiracy, the bank manager must be a snot trac owner .

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Dog gonit AL..I was hopeing you would have some fun out of the deal......

If ya got a copy of your offer..I would call the main bank and enquire....ya never know..you just might make out!!!! ya wont know till ya try!!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Might be kinda fun to raise a stink and go up the chain with that one. Just to let the higher ups know what kind of person they have as manager of that branch.
Either she agreed to your price and was overruled by the board, or she changed her mind. Either way she should not have agreed until she had all her ducks in a row. You should burn her butt for it. Good luck.